“An unexpected gem in our own backyard!”

Penrose Heritage Museum
woodland park, co
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An unexpected gem in our own backyard!”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I was looking for something to do with my parents in COS that they hadn't seen/done on previous trips and a friend suggested this - it was AWESOME! The newly built section on the Pikes Peak Hill Climb was better than I could have imagined - complete with videos of the race from all angles, including inside the cars. I have always wondered what it would feel like to drive that highway at top speeds - now I have a pretty good idea. The carriages and history of Colorado Springs from the Spencer Penrose days was also really well done and very engaging.

As mentioned in other reviews, this museum is free and they validate parking in the garage next door, which made it an easy walk for my parents. I will add this to my list of suggested sites for family/friends visiting COS.

Visited July 2014

Centennial, Colorado
361 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 388 helpful votes
“excellent collection & its free”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This museum is a short walk from the Broadmoor. They have a great collection of carriages, stage coaches and cars. some of the cars were used in the famous Pikes Peak race. I was the only one in there and the nice gentleman that worked there gave me a wealth of information. I have stayed at the broadmoor before but never even knew this existed. It is well worth walking over to take a look at this museum. I loved it.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank World-wander-woman
Bowling Green, Kentucky
219 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 223 helpful votes
“Pleasant surprise.”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

This was a great little museum. The docent was very friendly and give us a quick overview of the museum. There are three vehicles that had been used in the Pike's Peak races during the early 1900's, a couple of older cars that still run and several old stage coaches, buggies, wagons, and carts, all in beautiful condition. It is truly amazing to see how people traveled before buses and cars. The second floor had a display of harnesses, tackle, old saddles, some ceremonial Indian costumes and cowboy gear in addition to 3-4 carriages. Great stop and there was no entrance fee for this museum.

Visited November 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“It's fun and free! More than just another museum”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

This is one of those places that you always pass, are curious about, but never go into. After a walk around the lake at The Broadmoor hotel, we decided to peek in to see what this place is about. We were greeted by the friendly, informative curator who directed us on the layout of the museum and a few of the highlights, including two president's carriages. Within minutes, we found ourselves looking through a window into life at the turn of the century in Colorado Springs. The presentation of each piece includes historical and social context and photos adding interesting educational dimension to looking at carriages. A couple of my favorites included the children's goat cart and the mechanical exercise horse. And the history of the Pikes Peak or Bust Road Race cars. Plan for at least an hour, or make a couple of visits during your stay. The museum is open Monday through Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Visited July 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Little Known Gem in Colorado Springs”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We stumbled across this place several years ago....and have returned many times with family and friends. The museum has numerous displays of old wagons, cars, stage coaches, and other really cool stuff from days past. They also have a movie explaining the early history of the Colorado Springs area.

But the best thing about the Museum is the curator, Jason. From the first time you walk into the Museum, his knowledge and enthusiasm for the history and exhibits is apparent. He has a depth of knowledge for each item on display unmatched by anything else I've ever seen....and the stories related to each display are especially entertaining!

There is no charge for the Museum and they even validate your parking...what more could you ask for?

Visited June 2013