“from Las Cruces”

La Carreta
Ranked #275 of 1,454 Restaurants in Colorado Springs
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Im from Las Cruces, NM and this is the best Mexican food I have had in the state of CO. Its like what all of my friends mothers would make in NM.

There are newer reviews for La Carreta

Reviewed 22 April 2013

La Carreta is a true gem, genuine Mexican food prepared according to family recipes, I have never tried something that was not marvelous. Rellenos, melt in your mouth pork in red chile and lamb tacos are outstanding.

Reviewed 11 March 2013

After reading the reviews, my husband and I decided to try this place out. When we first got there, we were directed to head to a table in the back of the restaurant. We sat there for a good 10 minutes before we even got menus, and then were not asked if we wanted anything to drink. We ordered and our food was brought out separately, my husbands first and then mine. I had specifically asked if rice and beans were included in my meal, and was told no. I told him that was good because I didn't want either and don't like either. My plate came out with rice and beans, but not the lettuce I had ordered. I reminded him that I was very specific about not wanting the beans and rice and he looked offended that I didn't want the food he had set in front of me. He took the plate back and brought another, without the beans and rice, and also without the lettuce I had ordered. It took another 5 minutes for the lettuce to be brought to me. The food was ok, but not spectacular. My husband had the carnitas and said the pork was very bland. I had a combo plate with a pork tamale, which was ok, but I have had better, a relleno, which was again, ok, but nothng I would go back for, and a chicken enchilada. They must spend more time perfecting their chicken, because this was the only item that made me sit up and take notice. It was very flavorful. I had also asked for chili verde, and everything was smothered with a bland greeen sauce. I then asked if they had chili verde and was told no, they had a pork mole. I don't know that I have ever been to a mexican restaurant the didn't have chili verde. Very disappointing. I also had a coupon, and was told by the waiter that he had never seen one before. It was from the Entertainment Book. He had to go ask what to do with it, and when he brought back our adjusted check, there was a $7 deduction. He said that the fine print said it was Buy One Entree, Get One Free, up to $7. My husband's meal was $11.50 and mine was $12.50. This was about average for the menu items. Not a true BOGO, that's for sure. We both also went home hungry.....

Reviewed 13 December 2012

The food was excellent. As someone who does not eat beef or pork, most of the chicken items were fantastic. The ambiance might put you off a but, but the food is really good. I have eaten here several times.

Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

The Barbacoa de Borrego (pulled lamb tacos and soup) is absolutely off the chart. People who say the ambiance is lacking or the place looks questionable from the outside are ill informed and not well traveled. Go back to Applebee's. The charm of the decor is perfect. Our server was ever so nice. The BEST part? When we walked in the door we were the only "gringos" in sight - that is ALWAYS a good sign. If you fail to order a Horchata, I'm sure that is somehow a sin.