“Nice quiet and friendly place”

Sporting News Grill
Ranked #626 of 1,448 Restaurants in Colorado Springs
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Bar
“Nice quiet and friendly place”
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

A few of us ate dinner there after work. The waitress was very friendly. The restaurant was clean and atmosphere is good. We were a bit disappointed with the patio seating. We were a group of 6, but they only have 4 four-top tables outside, each at least 10-15 feet apart, and all are chained to the railing, so you can't move them together for a large party. We were seated inside, where there were only 2 other tables occupied. The burgers were great. The salmon Caesar salad was good (a bit too spicy for a dish that wasn't listed on the menu as "spicy."
The meal was served quickly, hot, and drinks were refilled often. Overall, a great dining option in Colorado Springs, especially since I'm used to 20-40 minute waits at the chain restaurants when you go at the dinner hour.

Visited July 2014

Amarillo, Texas
“Captive Hotel Guests--> have to be the only source of customers.”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Our party of four didn't want to make the 5 mile drive to Restaurant Row so we walked over to the in-house Holiday Inn restaurant from the H/I Express. What a mistake. Food was below mediocre. None of us enjoyed our meals, the server could be heard from the kitchen shouting at the cooks and was heard saying "I can't wait to get out of here tonight."
Our issues in order were:

1) I ordered the most expensive item on the menu the 12oz Ribeye. I thought the knife was dull, all it would do was tear thru the meat. On the first bite found it was pure gristle or sinew. I sent it back, didn't want to risk ordering anything else. No offer to buy my beer for the trouble or any real remorse for the bad experience.

2) Two orders of the club sandwich were both made with stale toast, was described as an oral exfoliation. The taste of the meats were off also.

3) Pasta salad was standing in water or thin broth.

4) Draft beers were not chilled, most of the coolness was from mugs that had been chilled.

At 10:10 the server made an announcment to the 3 tables en masse "Last call will be at 10:30" then conveniently didn't come back to the tables untill after 10:30. A guest from another table to go get his check from the server hanging around the far end of the bar.

I'm seeing a pattern with this restaurant chain, breakfast at the location near Denver International Airport wasn't much better. Also the chair cushions were all broken down so you feel like you'll fall to the floor when you sit down. By appearances the chain enjoys making money off tired or stranded travelers and has no intention to developing return business. I can't picture a local saying "Hey, let's go over to the Sporting News Grill
for that great dinner we always enjoy!"

If you don't want to drive, order a pizza for delivery.

• Visited June 2014
“Worst service ever”
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Thought it would be a great place to eat. I took my 5 year old daughter and it took 28 minutes to just get our drinks. And an hour for a kids meal pancake and a skillet breakfast. My daughter did not get a straw with her chocolate milk so she asked the waitress for a straw. The waitress said in a little bit and she had several in her apron. To top it off food was cold. By the way there were only 5 tables being served that morning.

• Visited May 2014
Fritch, Texas
“Drink and breakfast coupons”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Only 3 wait staff on Saturday night..no biggy we drank and visited.....two staff on Sunday...we waited for some time for our order...while watching a couple of tables leave after not getting service after 20 minutes of waiting.

Visited May 2014
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Too Spicy pizza”
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Everyone is just great the food is good , if some thing is wrong they want to fix it right away , but I have eat pizza around the world and have live in Italy for some time and had pizza in New York the king of pizza, no one I know makes there base sauce too hot(spice ) that kids can not eat it, to bad pizza night has to be some were other then there . On a 1 to 10 by my grandson I give the pizza a .5 kid are the number one who love them

Docolorado85@yahoo.com