“In its infancy”

National Museum of World War II Aviation
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Museum will be temporarily closed from 20 Sept 17 to 28 Sept 17 to prepare for the up coming Pikes Peak Regional Air Show on 23-24 Sept. The museum is open Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday from 10AM to 4PM. Tours are at 10AM, NOON and 2PM. Visitors can walk around the museum on their own or take a historical tour with a docent. Hourly docent led tours are also available to visit WestPac Restoration where WWII aircraft are actively being restored to flying condition.
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This was my first visit to the museum. I am not interested in planes, but went with my husband as he thought I'd enjoy it despite that. I found the historical lecture very informative; it pulled bits of WWII history into a cohesive timeline.
The tour itself was somewhat boring. Way too much (for me) info on how the planes were built. But great for those interested in those details. I will return for the August airshow; seeing these planes fly will be great. And I will return to the museum again once the expansion is complete. Even better than an expanded WWII museum would be to include the same info on WWI and Vietnam. But that is not the mission of this museum.

There are newer reviews for National Museum of World War II Aviation

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Wanted to check out something different while passing through Co. Springs, and saw how highly recommended this place came (right here on TA). And being that I and my boys are history buffs, I figured we couldn't miss. Well, I'm afraid we did.

Our Docent, although very nice and informative, was also very monotone. That did not help with the wife, much less the children. So they became bored rather quickly. If not for the detour in which they allowed them to sit in a trainer, the boys would have blown a gasket.

The tour is informative, but much of the general history can be omitted. Takes up too much time on the tour and truly not necessary. Other portions were unnecessary as well (for example, tour of the presses/machinery). The planes themselves are impressive. So is the work that they are performing on a volunteer basis. Unfortunately, our docent spent too much time on technical specifics that were of little interest to even me. Great for gear heads and aviation enthusiasts, but not for the general public I don't think.

Granted, the museum is in its infancy, and has great plans to expand in the future. Once complete, I'm certain it'll be a destination in its own right. But for now, it is a nice, small museum, with only a few pieces to share (7-8).

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

I hate to give 2 out of 5 but the tour wasn't great. You have to sit in class for about a half hour and listen to a lecture. If you have a young child and have to walk around before the lecture is over they give evil looks. The planes on display were great but I feel that they do the lecture because they don't have a whole lot on display. I've been to similar museums and none with such a boring tour as this one.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Full disclosure I am a history and aviation nut. The first part of the tour covering a general history of World War II I could have done myself. However the second part covering the aircraft on display, some in flying condition and some in early stages of restoration was great. The detail of how these planes are resorted I found very interesting and educational.
However after about two hours the wife had reached her limit (she needed a snickers) on the fine details of how propellers are balanced. Lucky for me that was the end of the tour anyway.
I give this museum five stars, but it is not five stars for everybody.

1  Thank Skidave11
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Attention to detail abounds in this museum. We saw multiple airplanes in a variety of states of restoration. What's unique about this museum? Every single one of the airplanes is airworthy and will fly.

We saw some of the scrap heaps that WestPac Restorations started with, the original design plans and specifications. Then, they took us through several planes that were being rebuilt, restored, and ready to fly.

The highlight of the tour was watching as a previously wrecked Corsair had its engine started and tested for flight. The plane was immaculate. the radial engine coughed, smoked, sputtered then lumbered to life. Wow! What a seat to hear the plane start and run up to temperature.

They taxied the airplane around the tarmac. It will fly in a local airshow in a couple of weeks. Looks like it will be a hit of the show!

Several P-38s were in process. One just needed the cockpit installed in order to be complete. The other? Well, all I can tell you is that the owner would allow it to be shown but no pictures taken or otherwise described. Let's just say the restoration is probably into the 10s of millions, and the owner wanted to remain anonymous.

If you love airplanes, this is a MUST STOP place to visit. Oh, and while we were there, 4 US Navy F/A 18s landed at the airport. Ahhhh, the new and the old all in one place.