“Not okay”

Hampton Inn & Suites Air Force Academy
Ranked #6 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I consider myself fair in reviews and write about good and bad stays. I was really looking forward to staying here being that it was rated #1. The lobby was nice, check-in by Caitlin was ok, and the disappointment set in when I got into the room. I had a double queen room on the 2nd floor right above the pool area. The room smelled a bit off, like mildew and sewage, the furniture was scratched, and the towels were due to be replaced. I had asked for a room to be away from road noise and elevator noise and so instead got a room above the pool and had to listen to splashes and screams until a little past 10. Luckily, Donald was able to help me in the morning and took my request seriously and switched me to a different room on the same floor that's not above the pool. Unfortunately, that room was not any better overall. There was a different off putting smell in the room, almost like mildew and dirty gym clothes. The shower curtain didn't look like it was replaced, there was a yellow ring around the bottom of the toilet, and there was mildew around the tub - it seemed like the smell came from the bathroom. Instead of pool noise this room had the outdoor hot tub noise. The window stopper to keep the window locked was removed and I had to attempt to get it back on and the caulk around the AC was cracked. The desk was dirty with crumbs and dried up smudges of something.
On the plus side, the staff was nice and breakfast was the typical Hampton rotating breakfast.
Maybe the suites are updated and better but the normal double queens that I saw in just one trip were not ok and did not deserve to be #1 in town. I would not stay here again and not just because it doesn't deserve to be #1 but because the rooms were not what you would expect from a typical Hampton.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank chw4
Lauri B, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Air Force Academy, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for taking time to give us some feedback in regards to your visit with us. Our staff really hopes that each of our guest are happy and comfortable while they are staying in our hotel and I am really sorry that you had some situations that did not make for a good stay. I have made a note of them and will address them with our staff to work to improve those situations. I do appreciate the helpful suggestions and response and it does helps us in making changes. Thanks again for letting us know and we will work to correct them.

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Air Force Academy

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I had the pleasure of speaking with the GM and AGM of this property. They were both wonderful people who go above and beyond to make each and every guest happy, and I feel lucky to have been able to stay at this #1 hotel in Springs. With the AFB nearby, there is no better choice than this property. No complaints.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your kind remarks and for choosing to stay with us. We are really happy to hear that everything was so nice and comfortable for you. This area by the Air Force Academy is really a nice part of town to visit. Hope you will be back.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

This hotel is in good location, close to area restaurants, etc. Hotel staff is super helpful. We had a king room with balcony. Be sure to request a balcony with a view. Mountain view was great. Very pleasant hotel. Hotel is new, and very clean. Modern decor throughout. Good location and good proximity to Air Force Academy.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janlyn5
Lauri B, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Air Force Academy, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for your comments on our property, I am very pleased that you enjoyed staying in one of our King Suites with a view. We appreciate all the compliments you gave us on our exceptional staff we are very proud of our team. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you on your future travels to the area.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is a very nice hotel. It doesn't seem very old, so the decor and ammenities look good and are in great condition. It was clean and quiet with a good breakfast, as well. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Eric W

Thank you for your comments on your resent stay here at our property. I am glad that you had the opportunity to enjoy the delicious hot breakfast. We appreciate all of your compliments on how nice our Hotel is. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you on your future travels to the area..

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at the Hampton Inn near the Air Force Academy during our family vacation in July 2014. The hotel was clean, very nice, close to everything, and the staff was extremely courteous and helpful.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for your resent response. We are a Excellent Hotel and very proud of our exceptional staff but we are also very appreciated on the comments from all of our Guest.
Thank you again and we look forward in seeing you on your future travels to the area.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

For the most part, we enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The staff were super friendly and very willing to accommodate our needs. The breakfast, as with most Hampton Inns, was great. We stayed 9 days and the hot choices were never the same two days in a row. Although her name fails me, the "breakfast lady" was so sweet and cheerful, always saying good morning to all the guests, clearing our table and asking if we needed anything. We've never had that kind of service at a Hampton Inn.

We had one problem...ANTS. I made the staff aware of this. Of course they wanted to move us to a different room, but I wasn't about to tell everyone we had to pack up. In fact, I kept the ant problem to myself. We had teenagers with us and I knew if they found out, it would only make matters worse. It wasn't an infestation, but enough they were in one of the beds (my husband and I), window sill and on the desk.

The front desk rep was very apologetic and assured me the manager would be made aware of our problem. I personally got rid of the ants for 9 days. In the end, although I promise I do not expect something for nothing, for some reason I thought we would receive a small discount, comped a room, or something, but instead received the usual "thank you", as everyone else does.

Who's to blame? Me, I guess, but I still cannot bring myself to give a higher rating as a result of this incident.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for you helpful feedback. We do appreciate the time you took to let us know how things went for you. Our breakfast hostess is really the best! She is a wonderful addition to our team. I am so sorry about the situation in your room and the staff did let me know and we had it taken care of by our service team. We always hope that everyone of our guest are enjoying their stay....but in reality I also know from time to time some things do no go as well as we want. Thank you again for your feedback as it helps us to get better and find ways to keep our guest happy.

General manager

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My family stayed at 3 hotels during our trip to Colorado. Our stay at the Hampton was so good that we canceled our 2nd night stay in Denver and drove back to Colorado Springs. The hotel and staff met all expectations of a well ran hotel. Friendly and Professional staff and Clean and Comfortable Hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for your resent comments. We really appreciate that you chose to stay with us during your entire trip.. We are very proud of our exceptional team that we have here, and we love to hear the compliments. Thank you again and we look forward in seeing you on your next travels in the area.

General Manager.