“Wonderful Vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles

Black Forest Bed and Breakfast
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Wonderful Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

We had a wonderful vacation thanks to our wonderful hosts and their family. We took our boys on various outings in the mountains during the week and they really enjoyed it. It was so nice to have such a relaxing place to return to at night instead of the usual hotel room. We will recommend this B&B to all of our friends and family.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

This place is just gorgeous! Our friends were married here and we think this is a great place for them to start their lives together.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

This was a great place to reconnect with old and new family, some that I have never met. IT was beautiful and we all had a good time.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

We had our wedding her in December and everything was great. Susie went out of her was to ensure we had a memorable experience. we will be returning in the future. WE had a wonderful time here.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

The muffins were great and the view was spectacular! The whole place was really nice. My only complaint is the double bed in the second room was a little short but would be great for kids.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

We had such a wonderful time! The Ark is so beautiful. This was the perfect B&B for us and they run it well. We hope to return in the near future.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

Positives:
The location was beautiful and provided entertainment for everyone, even the kids, with the variety of kids' swing sets and farm animals. The facility was an affordable option with lots of futons available for our large group.
The owner gave us privacy and freedom during our afternoon/evening reception.
We accidentally left some personal items there after the event, and they were held for us for a few days until they could be picked up. We really appreciated the flexibility in being able to bring our dogs.

Negatives:
We had to do some of the yard clean up in getting our event ready; moving unsightly objects to an out-of-sight location (broken chairs, etc). There was a dead bird on the patio that we had to remove. There were interesting ways in which the owner had cut corners to save on costs, such as using only ½ shower curtains.
The cleaning crew - a very kind hard-working mom and her young children -seemed short staffed, and thus, one cabin was not ready to check in at the promised time.
It was a beautiful summer weekend in a beautiful forest and I allowed my 2 teenage guests to camp out in a tent for the fun of it, in a tent I had provided. The next morning after I had left to prepare for the wedding ceremony, I am told they were literally screamed at and told they were not allowed to sleep in a tent, and had to sleep in the futons she had provided indoors. (Nothing about that in the contract.) What was the harm of them camping out, especially given that I had rented the entire place and paid the maximum fee charged by the facility? It wasn’t like the owner was not being shorted any money by not being able to rent out every bed - I had rented every bed! And I absolutely do not appreciate hearing that my guests were screamed at.
While I was off-site preparing for my wedding ceremony, I am told there was noisy construction going on that required the water to be turned off in one of the buildings, first thing in the morning while my guests were waking and trying to shower for the wedding. Inconsiderate scheduling given that I had paid for the entire place for that time period, and the construction was not an emergency; it should have waited, in my opinion. There were other hot water issues for my guests in the other buildings as well.
For breakfast, the owner did not communicate to my guests that she had delivered muffins, fruit, and juice to the outside picnic tables, so no one knew they were there, especially the guests who stayed in the cabin by the road. They had not brought food with them so went to my late-morning wedding hungry.
Finally, on that warm full moon July Saturday night, my guests were not permitted to be outdoors under the beautifully lit picnic area after it got dark, because they were yelled at for being noisy (they were playing an acoustic guitar and singing folk and camp songs). I understand that the owner and her family were trying to sleep in the house, but I feel that some exceptions have to be made when you own a venue and accept a lot of money for customers to be there. In any case, this was the third instance I heard of my guests being yelled at by the owner when I was not present. I never addressed it with the owner because my guests did not share the full story until after I returned from my honeymoon.
Most of these negatives could have been addressed if I had made a better attempt to delegate another family member for the owner to communicate with; an oversight by an already stressed out busy bride. I had introduced the owner to a few people the day before, but it does not sound like she was proactive in seeking out any adult for any concerns and resorted to irrational yelling when there was a concern. The quirky mostly-personable owner was pleasant to work with, with a few exceptions that left a lasting impression.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Simpsoda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colorado Springs
Garden of the Gods Club and Resort
Garden of the Gods Club and Reso...
#3 of 105 in Colorado Springs
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,033 reviews
Staybridge Suites Colorado Springs
Staybridge Suites Colorado Sprin...
#9 of 105 in Colorado Springs
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Grand Hotel & Spa
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Gr...
#5 of 105 in Colorado Springs
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,819 reviews
The Antlers A Wyndham Hotel
The Antlers A Wyndham Hotel
#18 of 105 in Colorado Springs
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,159 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS Peak Vista Inn & Suites
BEST WESTERN PLUS Peak Vista Inn...
#6 of 105 in Colorado Springs
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,155 reviews
The Cliff House at Pikes Peak
The Cliff House at Pikes Peak
#1 of 10 in Manitou Springs

Been to Black Forest Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!