“far better than any hotel experience”
Review of Crescent Lily Inn

Crescent Lily Inn
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“far better than any hotel experience”
Reviewed 14 October 2010

We arrived a little early yet were welcomed inside to a clean and comfortable room. Our host explained the breakfast routine and showed us the public rooms, which were very cozy, providing great places to read the paper in the morning. The room was immaculate with a bed so comfortable that my afternoon nap lasted hours longer than expected. Wonderful shower with great pressure and very clean bathroom. The breakfasts were delicious. Our hosts were helpful yet unobtrusive - No complaints at all!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mnreader6

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed 8 October 2009

My husband and I chose this B&B due to its proximity to a wedding reception we were attending in downtown Colorado Springs. We were also celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary in which we actually stayed in a B&B when we were married (not this one). So we thought it appropriate to stay in another one on our 10 year. I found this place online, thought the prices were very reasonable for a B&B and booked it. The owners were extremely accommodating considering we weren't arriving until 11 PM at night. They left instructions on where our room was and the code to get inside. I surely wasn't expecting them to stay up for us. If you do then you might need to consider a hotel chain. The B&B is brightly lit all the time and we had no problems finding it nor getting into our room. This B&B is a small one with 5 rooms in a very historic Victorian home (along a quiet row of Victorian houses). It's downtown yet behind a very small park that separates it from the main street. No issues of noise for us and our room faced the front overlooking the park area.

The room we stayed in was the Day Lily Suite (not to be confused with the Water Lily Suite). Our suite was on the second floor and faced the front. It's the only room that has its own private balcony (with a little table and chairs - good if you are a smoker but of course good if you are not - we aren't but I wanted to add that in since you could if you wanted to outside on the private balcony). The suite has two rooms and both are large-sized. Beautiful french doors separate the two rooms, the bedroom has a queen sized bed, armoire with plenty of dresser drawers, full length mirror on the the dresser and on the back of the main door. Off of the bedroom is your own private bathroom, another set of beautiful double French doors separate the bathroom from the bedroom. The bathroom is very small with a pedestal sink, small toilet and a jetted bathtub (but not a double one like I think the Water Lily room has). I loved the hard wood floors in the bathroom, though. The only complaint we had comes from my husband in which he commented that the toilet was small and challenging for a guy to sit and do his business (and angle going pee at the same time). And he has a small backside so this could be a major issue if someone was a bit larger. We were happy with the shower and bathtub and didn't spend a tremendous amount of time utilizing the jet tubs.

What we did spend a lot of time at was the lovely fireplace (fake, turn it on with a remote control) in the adjoining private (via French doors) sitting room. This room had a couch, a big chair, fireplace and a work desk and chair (perfect if you needed to set up your laptop and work) and the door to the private balcony. Being from South Florida and coping with the 40 degree (or less!) weather during the first week of October, this fireplace was put to good use. We opened a bottle of wine, sat in front of the fireplace and just snuggled. The room is thickly carpeted and well kept, very clean. We loved it! Hence the reason we chose this room versus the Water Lily room. We knew we would enjoy the extra space, fireplace and such more. This extra room could serve as a separate bedroom (so they advertise). I never asked if children were allowed or not but if so then this would be the perfect suite (and economical!).

They had free Wi-Fi which we took advantage of. Very easy to access. Connection wasn't super high speed but worked for us.

The breakfast time is very generous. Coffee, tea, fresh orange juice and apple juice, and hot chocolate (with biscotti) are offered at 7:15 am. Breakfast is served between 7:30 - 10 AM. Very quaint private tables to eat at. Not a big buffet table (we went to one where everyone ate at a big table). This is set up to be a more intimate affair (they do have a bigger table set up for a larger group in case friends or relatives want to eat breakfast there with a guest). Breakfast was incredible! What makes a B&B is the lodging and the breakfast. Gourmet breakfast. We stayed 3 nights and every morning was a different breakfast. I am a gourmet cook myself and was very pleased with both presentation and quality of food. The serving size was perfect. Not too little but not over-indulging.

The owners were very nice. Their philosophy is to make sure you have your space and privacy. So they work hard behind the scenes but you don't see them much unless you ring for them (they live on the 3rd floor) or see them at breakfast time.

We did not utilize the common rooms so we can't speak on that. I do know there are not any TV's and such in the bedrooms. If you want to watch something you would need to come down to the common room on the first floor. Someone was catching a Sunday game when we were there. I love the fact that this B&B is beautiful, follows the Victorian decor and architecture and does not modernize the rooms too much. You spend that time reading by a fireplace, conversing with your companion (or friends!), or going out to see the beautiful sites of Colorado. Which we took full advantage of (email me if you want to know about excellent eateries or site-seeing places).

We were happy with our choice and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Citron444
NY
Reviewed 8 September 2009

I'm a relatively picky traveler, and I quite enjoyed my stay at the Crescent Lily. The room we stayed in (Water Lily) was nicely appointed and clean with good light. I especially liked the bathroom with its shower for two and jacuzzi (though we didn't use it).

The hot breakfast was hearty and tasty. No options as far as hot food goes, but what can really be expected. If you're an omnivore, they'll have something for you, and I suspect that if you have some restrictions, the innkeepers would be willing to cook something up. They don't really ask if you want something from the possible list of things they can make, but if you ask for it, and they can make it, they probably will. I say this only because I asked for toast and several other things, all of which were promptly and happily brought for me (if you like your toast dry, or not slathered in butter, you should probably specify, as mine came out really buttery -- though I like that)

Though there are probably more fancy options as far as B&B's in the immediate neighborhood, there aren't too many from what I found online, and this one was quite enjoyable. I'd recommend it strongly over many of the local hotels/motels due to cleanliness, lack of bad smells that often come with cut-rate motels/hotels, and the overall pleasant nature of our stay.

If you need to connect to the internet (using the inn's Wi-Fi), note that it is NOT easy, at least with a Mac. I'm a pretty "wired" individual, and neither I nor my my girlfriend were able to figure out how to connect with our laptops with the instruction that were provided to us by the innkeepers.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank arikira
Tulsa, OK
Reviewed 8 July 2008

Friendly service, very accommodating, nice rooms, great breakfast, convenient location.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Kapolei, Hawaii
Reviewed 29 January 2008

We went to the Crescent lily Inn for my husband’s birthday; we stayed in the Water Lily room. I was pleasantly surprised with the inn. The room was large with a sitting area and fireplace. There was a jetted tub and a separate EXTRA large shower with two shower heads. The shower sounds cool but it was actually a little weird. Chamber music plays throughout the house on an old sound system in all the rooms. You can control it in your room with a switch. The breakfast was taken downstairs in the dining room. Coffee, tea, and numerous juices. We also had cereals and fresh blueberries. It says it’s downtown but I don’t know if I would want to walk to all the downtown events at night. Surprisingly there aren’t that many bed and breakfasts to stay at in Colorado Springs, but I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — It was very quaint
  • Disliked — parking was weird
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
CO
Reviewed 12 November 2007

Outwardly it's a nice looking property but once we got into the room, we were very disappointed. There were no screens on the windows, which was the only way to get air flow. There were no fans or a/c. There was no TV, we weren't allowed to use bubbles in the jetted tub and no candles so the romance was very very subdued. We thought maybe everything would be saved by the breakfast but that was just as disappointing. The egg pie was undercooked, flavorless and cold. There were no other choices for breakfast, you either ate what was on the plate they put in front of you, or you went out for breakfast. We will not visit this Inn again.

• Liked — Double shower
  • Disliked — No fans, no screens, no TV
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FionaCo
arizona
Reviewed 23 August 2007

We just returned from a 2 night stay at the Crescent Lily. The inn itself is beautiful. The rooms are roomy and decorated very nicely. If you like antiques you will like the rooms. The only complaint we had was with the innkeepers. They were rarely around. Check in was at 4:oo p.m. and we had to ring a bell to get checked in. She didn't show us where things were located such as drinks and information on the area. I would have liked to have been asked if we needed anything such as directions, reservations for dinner etc. Breakfast was average. We had to ring another bell to be served. We felt that if breakfast was certain times then they should have been around to see when guests came down. We also had to find her when we checked out. One good thing is it is within walking distance to downtown.

• Liked — the rooms
  • Disliked — the breakfast
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ada101Arizona
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colorado Springs
The Antlers A Wyndham Hotel
The Antlers A Wyndham Hotel
#19 of 105 in Colorado Springs
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,206 reviews
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Grand Hotel & Spa
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Gr...
#5 of 105 in Colorado Springs
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,849 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Colorado Springs Dwtn Area
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#35 of 105 in Colorado Springs
The Cliff House at Pikes Peak
The Cliff House at Pikes Peak
#1 of 10 in Manitou Springs
Quality Suites Downtown
Quality Suites Downtown
#52 of 105 in Colorado Springs
Clarion Hotel and Conference Center
Clarion Hotel and Conference Cen...
#55 of 105 in Colorado Springs

Been to Crescent Lily Inn? Share your experiences!