“Wish we could have Slept - Maybe "a 2.5 Star" Jan 22nd”

Ranked #19 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Reviewed 23 January 2011

So I came here with an open mind hoping that things had improved after reading recent reviews and responses but sad to say they had not, and I stayed in one of your new rooms.

It appears that the aaa rating is more to do with the services available than anything else. It is certainly not a four star hotel not by what I have stayed in before, not even close. IF you stay in a new room I would say it earns a 2.5 star because of the rest of the resort. I would NOT stay in a old room based on seeing examples of the outdated older parts of the hotel.

Positives
Location, main lobby, breakfast location and omelet station, although expensive for the standard of food

Negatives, NOT SURE WHERE TO START

Well we went to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo afterwards and it was actually CLEANER than the Hotel, SERIOUSLY - Management you need to check it out

I was told that there was no sign of the renovations however the area between the pool and main lobby is a building site?

The room to be fair was Nice although quite dark, what I can't understand is why NO ONE has bothered to ensure that the room is ready. The lights in one of the headboards as well as the light over one of the sinks were faulty, the TV froze and the reception was bad on several channels - Yes 42 inch flat screen but this is 2011. And yes I provided this info at the end so not to have people keep disrupting our day of proposed r&r

The fridge was disgusting, covered in dust and paint with a broken leg and just shoved in the new furniture, the coffee maker and mugs were also dirty and had not been cleaned. However the main portion of the room was clean.

What I found hard to understand was the remodel, there were certain low cost items not replaced, i.e. the bathroom handle replace with stainless but the strike plate (less than a $) was the original brass one covered in bits of paint and old screws. The bathroom door painted over roughly, why not replace as the rust was already showing on the hinges. The original patio door with a 30 year old worn warning sticker and split seals. No TV list, poor response with a worn TV remote. Some old electrical covers reused, why who knows. In addition the tiling was already showing cracks and gaps from poor installation and I although you went with a dry wall covering 30 years outdated it appears NO ONE has done a Walk Through or PUNCH LIST !! as there were Many, many other items that had not been finished correctly and the first time I have seen this standard in a mainstream hotel chain

Swimming pools/ Hot tubs
WHY THE heck would you find it acceptable to have missing tiles -Any?, Yes the hot tubs were hot both at the hotel and CCC but I find it hard to believe the outdoor pool was at 85f

Re the Indoor pool at the aquatic center, if you ever need to find some sand for sand bagging there a ton or two in the bottom of the pool in January. Does the staff ever do anything, they sit at the front desk saying hi but the noodles are full of chunks missing - are times that bad that you can't replace the bad ones for $30. Except that it appears very outdated, green mold and nothing ever updated it is generally very dirty with no cleaning efforts visible. This is true of all the pool areas, outdated and cleaning put on the back burner. There is also a slide with Ice cold water attached with a garden hose but no life guard so no one can use although this was used the day before as no one mentioned it was closed.

As far as SLEEP this was what ruined it - As previous reviews have pointed out we ended up in the 200 block and both myself and daughters possible pleasure was Ruined by the noise from above, not partying just walking around breathing, opening the patio door, getting up for the bathroom in the middle of the night- This was THE WORST I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH- in all the years I have traveled and started at 9.30pm just as we were getting ready to sleep

To cap it all, I paid my service fee, received pleasant service but not One Apology, just excuses. Do you really think your customers care that you are going through a renovation and that is why items don't work or are down right dirty?

To end, To even try to be a 4* Hotel It needs to be clean, I did not see any sign of cleaners in any of the general areas and again saw more signs of staff cleaning at the ZOO

Rather than responding with we agree, we are going through a renovation, we are sorry about the noise, the fridge, TV etc etc etc, spend some Serious time with your staff , management, and Fix the problems. give an apology if due at the time rather than excuses. You guys ruined my weekend due to the laziness of staff (grounds) over a long period of time and your ongoing excuses.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank dlcallissa
samiam08, Director or Rooms at Cheyenne Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2011

Good Afternoon dlcallissa,

I am very sorry, and taking all of your comments to heart, in particular the closing ones, I thank you.

Humbly,

There are newer reviews for Cheyenne Mountain Resort

Reviewed 17 January 2011

I am actually here now and pulled up Trip Advisor to see if anyone else has had the same experience I am having. They have. We are traveling to Keystone and decided to stop in Colorado Springs for the night. I booked on Priceline and got an amazing rate so I was very excited. I of course didn't realize there was a $15 fee so I found out the rate wasn't as great as I thought. Everything I have seen so far has been beautiful - the lobby is nice, the pool is nice but would be better if clean, and we are in a newly renovated room, so it is nice as well. The few staff we have spoken with have as been helpful. Here are my problems - toilet wouldn't flush and a very nice man had to come fix, the air conditioner/ heater keeps loudly clicking on and off, and the floors/ceilings are so thin I swear there must be a herd of elephants upstairs!! I don't have a dated room and the staff has been nice, but when you aren't going to sleep a wink (I have been trying for 3 hours and the elephants have just decided to move again) we should have kept driving!

• Stayed: January 2011
samiam08, Director of Rooms at Cheyenne Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2011

Dear GoHogs72,

I am very sorry that you did not sleep well during your stay with us. Noise from the room above is a challenge for any hotel or resort and the combination of building construction and the amount of movement of the party in the room above, and the time of the movement, may lead to a disturbance. Providing a restful night is a hallmark of our business and my apologies that this was not your experience.

Your comments are appreciated. I was happy to read that you had a new guest room and that the engineer who serviced your room was pleasant, as were the others on staff you encountered. Many have been working very hard removing items from the old guest rooms in preparation for construction crews, and then days later working in another lodge that was just completed placing all the new items in the room for the first guests.

Thank you for joining us on your trip to the mountain. I am assuming you were headed up to ski. The Rockies have certainly had their share of snow this season, so I hope conditions were good for you. If we have the pleasure of serving you in the future, please contact me directly at the resort so that I may be of assistance.

Reviewed 30 December 2010

Not the romantic get away we had planned. Great price off Hotwire, great pictures, good location. The end. The place was empty. The room was really basic, two beds, a tv and a view. The walls were all scratched. The bathroom was a mess, dirty mirror, toothpaste and blood on the wall, and stained ceilings. The bed was worse than that. The ONLY good thing was the desk clerk took the 15$ resort fee off. I don't feel like I am a travel snob, but this is not what i expect from a 4 star resort, 3 star at most.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
samiam08, Director of Rooms at Cheyenne Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2011

Hello ryebread72

I am sorry that you were not happy with your stay, and given the description of your bathroom, I can understand the reasons. I appreciate your expressing your observations, for I send such comments to the Housekeeping department. The standard you experienced was not acceptable and we will address accordingly. Our supervisors and managers in Housekeeping have been tasked with raising their level quality, particularly since we are in the midst of a complete room renovation.

We are headed in a new direction with a fresh look in the guest rooms including new mattresses and box springs, custom furniture, new carpet, drapes, flat screen TV's, and new artwork. The transformation from the current look to the new look is quite dramatic and we are very excited about bringing the first rooms into operation within the next week.

Please feel free to contact me directly at Cheyenne Mountain Resort if I may be of any assistance to you in the future. I do hope you will give us a second chance later this year for I am confident you will be quite surprised at the changes.

Happy New Year,

Reviewed 14 December 2010

Overpriced! this is a convention hotel and and probably very good for that purpose, especially if your company is paying for it, but for my money, I won't be back. The rooms are a step back in time, back to 1970's Holiday Inn time. The rooms are dark and so are the furnishings and carpet. The bathrooms have missing grout in the tiles with dark spaces in between which makes you think of MOLD growing in there. The water miser shower is cleverly disguised as a "massaging showerhead" but is nothing more than a plastic thing that wiggles around. The lighting is poor, utilizing low wattage flourescent bulbs everywhere, the heating and cooing system is one of those old through-the-wall units that cycles off and on all night long, fresh linens are not furnished unless you leave the used ones on the floor, and the toilet paper must be recycled from a russian newspaper. Yes, there is a major renovation just beginning as evidenced by noisy trucks that arrive at 7 am and two construction dumpsters and a porta-potty outside of our "mountain view" deluxe king room window. Oh, did I mention that the bath soap has those little hard pebbles embedded in it. Maybe they are from the leftover asphalt dug up from the parking lot.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
samiam08, Director of Rooms at Cheyenne Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2010

Hello Judyprice,

We always appreciate a candid critique from our guests, and I thank you for doing just that.

You are one of many who have mentioned the dated look of our guest room, and we are addressing that with an all out effort, renovating every room before April 1, 2011. Many of the concerns you mentioned about the room are being addressed, with new tile tub surrounds replacing the old tile and grout, more lamps in the room - including reading on the headboards, new custom made furniture that is lighter in color and not so tall that it blocks the light coming in from the sliding glass doors, new carpet, drapes, and flat screen TV's. But you are correct, there is a great deal of work happening at the property and with that comes construction crews and all that they entail, for that I am sorry for the disruption they caused.

We take our sustainability efforts to heart, and indeed use water saving shower head in all the rooms. However it is rare that I read disapproving comment about them, so I offer my apologies. The light bulbs are also part of that "green" effort and with the additional lamps in the new design the lighting in the room will improve. Our paper products throughout the property all contain a percentage of recycled paper, for we feel it is important to practice the "reduce and reuse" principles even if at a greater cost. And, interesting that you mention the bath soap with the flecks of oatmeal, it is another item that is typically well received by our guest and something that we struggle to keep in stock, so I am sorry that it did not meet with your liking.

We are indeed known for our views, but if your favorite was the one seen driving away, then I must continue to apologize and hope that if you are gracious enough to give us a second chance in the future that you will contact me directly at the resort, so that I may help facilitate a better stay for you.

My best to you for a Happy New Year,

Reviewed 1 December 2010

I called the site to confirm that we had a nice view and was told that because I booked thru Travelocity that I did not have the nice "Lake View". I then paid an extra $60 to receive the lake view and asked her to confirm that the new room would have a nice view. She said "We have never had a complaint before." When we arrived, the view was over a parking lot and facing another of their buildings. I called the office, wondering if we accidentally received the wrong room. I was told "If you could see over the other resort building, you would see the lake." I told her that I did not consider that a lake view and wanted my previous room (at $60 cheaper). I was told that it was no longer available. When I asked her how she could possibly call that a "Lake View" when there was no view of the lake, she said "We get that complaint a lot." So...not only is the room bad, but they are not honest. The robes were filthy (cheetoos smears all over one and something dark and stiff all over the other). The wall paper was coming off in the bathroom, the carpet was stained, the bed was lumpy, the heater did not work properly, the supplies appeared to be the cheapest they could get (scratchy toilet paper, no tissues). There is no way I would ever stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank frqtrvlr_10
samiam08, Director of Rooms at Cheyenne Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2010

Good Evening Frqtrvlr_10,

I offer my apologies for it is never our intention to be misleading in any description or presentation of our property, and I am truly sorry that you feel this way. If there is any fault with the content it lies with me and our marketing department. Please do not think our staff is dishonest for we have so many hard working, generous people in our employ that I believe such a generalized statement is not fair to them. They do not bear the responsibility of creating the descriptions that are in our systems.

Not knowing the room you were given I am unable to address your specific situation, but any of our views will not only include the featured element, such as the mountains, but will most likely have another building, rooftop, parked cars or road within its periphery. Our property is just too large to do otherwise. How that affects the view is in the eye of the beholder. However the fact that you could not see the lake at all from your room, gives me concern, and I have asked our reservations manager to review all the descriptions that may appear on in our content on any website including our own.

Your comments about the robes in the room concern me even more, and I have forwarded your review to our executive housekeeper and to the assistant director of rooms. This is truly unacceptable and will be addressed as well. We do use paper products with a percentage of recycle materials in our efforts to be sustainable. They are actually more expensive, but we feel worth the price of trying to do our part to be more earth friendly. But there is no excuse for not having tissues. Regarding the condition of the room itself, please know that we are currently renovating our first one hundred ten guest rooms and are awaiting the installation of all new furniture, mattresses with new down pillow tops, drapes, and carpet. You are not alone in your thoughts, and our owner had taken them to heart. By April 1, 2011 all 316 guest rooms will have an entirely new, fresh look.

Thank you sharing your thoughts, we know we will have short comings, but we do appreciate hearing from you, so that we can be honest with ourselves about the image we portray and the products we present. Please contact me directly at the resort if I may be of any help to you or answer any other questions you may have.

Yours truly,

Reviewed 4 November 2010

My family and I spent a long weekend at the Cheyenne Mountain Resort the first weekend in October. We used Priceline to purchase our hotel room. At no time throughout the bid and purchase phase did we receive notification that we would be charged an extra $15 per day for resort fees. These fees included Parking, Fitness classes, Outdoor Tennis, Boating and Fishing, Wireless Internet access, Bell and Room Attendant gratuities, Local calls, Newspaper and in-room coffee and tea and Fitness Center/Aquatics access. $15 for all of that sounds reasonable, doesn’t it? It would be if you were to actually receive those items. During our stay, Fitness classes were full and had to be prearranged, Outdoor Tennis was booked until late in the evening, the boats were dry-docked for the season even though the weather was nice, we tried and tried to have someone help us with our bags (NO ONE ever showed up!), we received a newspaper the first day of our stay, but days 2-4 no paper AND the in-room coffee and tea privileges were Liptons tea and some unknown brand of coffee. Our children were devastated that they weren’t able to ride the paddle boats or bumper boats (the temperature was in the high 70’s low 80’s during our stay). Having viewed the website, my husband knew that the lodge was suppose to be nice, darts, pool, wii, firepit, so he walked to the lodge, there were no dartboards, no one could locate the pool balls, the wii cost an extra $5 per child per hours to play and the firepit was closed. At this time, my husband was totally disgusted with the “resort”. While at the main lodge, my husband asked if they would apply some of the resort fees to a round of golf. Of course, the snooty desk clerk’s answer was no. She stated that there were lots of things to do that were included in the resort fee, boating, tennis and the firepit. My husband informed her that all of those options were unavailable. The clerk shrugged her shoulders and told him to deal with it. So, in the end, we had to pay $15 per night for the maid gratuities. That seems very unreasonable to me.

The Room
I have stayed in MANY nice hotels and this was not one of them. Our room looked NOTHING like the pictures that you see in the virtual tour. The room was at best a 2 star. At check in, we were told that our room had a resort view. In actuality, our room overlooked some shrubbery, a maintenance road and then the driving range. Not really a view to be excited about. The rooms carpet had black stains and was crunchy in some places. The luxurious bathrobes (I’m not sure they clean them between occupants because they too, were stained) had holes around the collars. The bath towels were frayed and coming apart and the sheets had linen balls all over them. I had to have our sheets changed because the balls were bugging the kids. The beds and pillows were hard and lumpy. After the first night, my back hurt for the rest of the trip. Housekeeping did clean the bathroom (the room smelled like bleach each afternoon), but we could never get extra bath towels.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
samiam08, Director of Rooms at Cheyenne Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2010

Hello DKC_Garland,

Let me begin with an apology for indeed your experience at Cheyenne Mountain Resort was frustrating, and that is never our intention.

I am sorry that Priceline chooses not to include our resort fee in their price as do some other on-line services, but they do mention that our property is subject to this resort fee in the confirmation they send. I understand that it is not the most convenient disclosure and can be a surprise. As you wrote the charge does incorporate a number of things, and it seems the good weather you mentioned brought out many people to play tennis outdoors and to venture out and take the fitness classes as well. On our website we do mention that the our lake closes for the season in September, and though we have the good fortune of wonderfully warm weather weeks or even months later (this weekend of November 6th temperatures are to be in the 70's) with the boats docked for the season and with no lifeguards to monitor the activities we simply are unable to reopen the lake.

Speaking of our website, I apologize that our dartboards are still listed, that is our error and I will have it corrected. I am not sure if you looked at the virtual tour or the slideshow of the renovations that we begin this month. The virtual tour shows a suite and a room standard double queen room all in their current style; the slideshow depicts the "future" of the guest rooms as they will all look by April of 2011. We continued with our "perfect storm" of poor experiences for indeed when you were here the terrace with the fire pit was closed for some flooring repairs that we had not anticipated.

You comments about the room certainly have merit for I will agree that the carpet in the rooms needs to be replaced and that is being addressed this month with start of our room renovation as are the pillows and mattresses, The other unsightly things that you mention are absolutely unacceptable and we are expecting new linen any day.

I hope that what I have written does not appear to be an excuse for this is our property and ultimately we are responsible for your experience. My intent was to give explanations where I could to provide some perspective, but for the rest simply beg your pardon. My hope is that you will read this response and contact me directly at Cheyenne Mountain Resort, so that I may continue this apology in person.

Thank you for writing; everyone deserves to have their expectations met.

Yours truly,

Reviewed 20 October 2010

What a disappointment it was staying at this resort. Fortunately, I used the Priceline.com bidding process. I got my room at half price. I would not have paid full price for my room. You are paying for the location not your room. I stayed in a 200 series room and there was another floor above me. The person in the room above me paced back and forth late at night and I heard every step. The sound proofing between the floors is substandard. I did not sleep well the two nights that I was there. Since it was rated as a 4 star resort, I expected a lot nicer room. The room seemed a bit dated to me. As I was checking my credit card charges, I noticed an additional $30 charge that was added after I checked out. After my call to the front desk at Cheyenne to investigate this charge, I was informed that the charge was for the stuff that priceline did not cover like parking and, use of the facilities which I did not use. This was never explained at check in or check out. This place is way overrated and I would NOT recommend staying there.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank PolishItalianguy
samiam08, Director or Rooms at Cheyenne Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2010

Hello PolishItalian Guy,

I am sorry that you did not sleep well during your stay. A heavy footed guest in the room above is never pleasant and I can understand your dissatisfaction with the soundproofing. Regarding the "look" of the room, I would agree and I am happy to say that we are weeks away from beginning a multimillion dollar renovation of all the guest rooms. Work begins November 22, 2010 and will be completed April1, 2011; the first new rooms will be available in mid-January 2011.

Cheyenne Mountain Resort does apply a facilities service charge to all reservations, it provides access to our wireless network and opens fitness center and pools at the Country Club of Colorado to all our guests - that facility is not open to the public. The charge is typically noted on all confirmations in the "taxes" section, however some on-line companies do not display it prominently and I am sorry for the confusion in this matter.

We value feedback from our guests both constructive and complimentary and I thank you for taking the time to write. If you wish to share anything else with me, please contact me directly at Cheyenne Mountain Resort.

Truly,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Colorado Springs
Garden of the Gods Club and Resort
Garden of the Gods Club and Reso...
#3 of 105 in Colorado Springs
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Grand Hotel & Spa
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Gr...
#5 of 105 in Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs Marriott
Colorado Springs Marriott
#29 of 105 in Colorado Springs
Best Western Plus Peak Vista Inn & Suites
Best Western Plus Peak Vista Inn...
#4 of 105 in Colorado Springs

Been to Cheyenne Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!