“If you value safety and service - stay away!”

Howard Johnson Colorado Springs
Ranked #87 of 104 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Reviewed 18 August 2009

We experienced a police standoff situation during one of the nights of our stay. While we do not blame the staff or the hotel for this situation, they provided no follow-up to assure guests of their safety and concern for the inconvience it caused. The following day, they had another opportunity to place a letter or something in our rooms, but did not.

We were staying with a large group of people and some of us received a free night for our troubles (the ones that were kept from their rooms until 2am due to the police activity). Those that were trapped in their rooms (without any communication from the hotel staff to alert them to the danger or status) had to pay for their stay.

The clerk that checked us out, Katie, offered no apologies and, in fact was very uninterested in making sure we left satisfied. To put it nicely, she was by far the rudest clerk we've ever encountered. We placed a phone call to the toll free customer service and were told the general manager would contact us within 8 days...never happened. Note that even the corporate response was a canned survey. I'm sure no one looks at it but we completed it anyway.

Will never stay at this hotel, or any Howard Johnson's because of this. We travel frequently for business and pleasure and have to say that this experience was beyond description and quite a surprise as hotel staff are generally friendly and accomodating.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daytripper064

Reviewed 1 July 2009

Howard Johnsons was a great place to stay. The staff was friendly and the room had a great view of the mountains. Very competitively priced. Also close to shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2009

My work transfered me to the Springs and I needed a place to stay for 3 weeks until my rental home became available. I couldn't afford Hilton's Homewood Suites ($109/night for 20 days!) but Howard Johnson's gave me an amazing price, easily costing half what a fancy hotel would charge. Anyone who complains about this hotel should have spent more. What I got was a very large, clean room with updated bathing facilities in the bath, a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, blow dryer, iron and board, bagels and fruit free for breakfast and the absolute best view in the Pikes Peak Region. Not to mention an honest (we can't give you a 4th floor room until Monday) and caring front desk AND the all important free, highspeed, wireless internet service which allowed me to video Skype my friends on the other side of the country on a daily basis. I agree that the facility is not new. The beds are comfortable and clean, even though the sheets are not 400 count egyptian cotton. Air conditioning is an unusual feature in Colorado Springs. Most homes do not have it, and I only needed it once in my 4th floor room. It worked fine. The pool is not an olympic lap pool, but the children and families who use it every evening laugh and play and thoroughly enjoy the lovely, blue, clean, sun-drenched water.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank deborah c
Reviewed 25 May 2009

I was very pleased with the service of Howard Johnson Inn they really made me feel welcome and did everything to make my stay enjoyable they always had time for me when I had questions or needed to know something about the area. I have to add that when I go back to visit Colorado Springs I will be staying there.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 May 2009

We are visiting a friend in Colorado Springs and we left our keys in a restaurant nearby. We were not able to get the keys and had no where to go. We ended up at the Howard Johnson desperately seeking a place to stay. The night crew was more than helpful and we had a great night sleep. The next morning, I ran into the general manager, Robert, whom asked how our morning was going. I explained to him our story, and he immediately offered help. He called the restaurant and located our keys, and then personally drove us to get the keys and back to our friends apartment. I can not explain how grateful we were for the hospitality and genuine compassion that was shown for our situation. This was a above and beyond the role of the hotel, but if I had to do it again, I would stay at the Howard Johnson. A great home away from home.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 September 2008

We took a group of 35 jr./sr. high students with 7 sponsors for a weekend youth conference... we had a great experience overall - the price was right, the rooms were comfortable, and service was average. No one in my group experienced anything like what i've read in other reviews, so I thought I should share our experience.

The pool is small, but we didn't choose it for the pool - we went to waterworld anyway.

Besides that, a few quick notes:

The continental breakfast was above average

The service was average (depending upon who we worked with)

The rooms were well-taken care of

Hope this helps if you're considering this location.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 26 July 2008

We stayed here the night before we had to leave to fly back to Pa. We checked in and then went out to eat. Once we got back a little after 8 we walked in to find that the air we had turned on was blowing air but not cold. So we called the front desk. They came to our room at close to 11 to tell us they were going to give us another room. I thought we were going to melt! Besides the room being hot, it was dusty and not very clean. There were even HOLES in the sheets!! So we went to another room which was non-smoking. Well the air did work but it smelled like someone had just smoked a carton of cigarettes! It was late and we HAD to get some sleep for the flight the next day. The kids were getting grouchy. I woke up at 4 in the morning to hear the tv of the room beside us. The walls were paper thin. The continental breakfast was a lot different than what we were told as well. When my husband brought up his complaints at checkout the lady at the desk did not even apologize. She just did not care. I have never had such bad service. We will be staying FAR away from this place when we go back to the springs. It would probably be in yor best interest as well!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank krbmc2000