“A Dead Mouse?!”

Ranked #48 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Eugene, Oregon
“A Dead Mouse?!”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My family stays almost exclusively at Choice Hotels, but this hotel was a serious disappointment. We can deal with some "antiquity" in hotels, if they are well maintained, but Comfort Inn North in Colorado Springs had major issues. Let me describe the good first:

The staff was congenial upon arrival. This is always a benefit after traveling 12 hours in the car. The location is acceptable, with a jogging trail and creek right outside the hotel. This was nice for my wife, who enjoys a good run, but troubled me having easy access to our hotel window merely feet from the path. The pastries at breakfast were very fresh. That's about it for the good.

For the disappointing: 1) There were blood stains on our comforter. That is unacceptable. 2) There was a stench in the room upon arrival. I found a dead mouse caught in a sticky trap left under one of the chairs. 3) The laundry facilities had ceiling panels missing and a ceiling fan sitting on the dyer with exposed romex wire extending from the ceiling to the fan upon the metal frame of the dryer. 4) The power meter on the exterior of the wall was almost completely detached from the wall and in danger of falling. 5) The recent exterior paint left serious overspray on the exterior doors. 6) The exterior door nearest to our room did not shut, leaving access available to anyone who wanted to enter our hallway. This door was within 30 feet of the jogging trail. 7) The pool was...green and very small. It is square and the tiling was falling apart.

I will never stay at this location again unless management changes and serious upgrades to both goods and services are made. For $89/night, this was a complete disappointment. Please avoid at all costs.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Richard R
Mark K, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn North - Air Force Academy Area, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Richard R,

I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay. I can assure you that I will be using this review to make sure we solve the issues you pointed out. The ceiling tiles in the laundry room are broken and the fan is down because we had a pipe burst in the ceiling and broke the tiles. We are in the process of fixing that issue. The door on the outside of the building is something we are in the process of replacing to make sure that it works. The pool was recently drained because it was green we refilled it after acid washing it. I will be sure to talk to my housekeeping about the mouse I was unaware of this issue.

I do ask that you give us another chance to provide you with a warm comfortable clean and safe place to sleep if you are back in the area.

My apologies,
Comfort Inn North

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Biloxi, Mississippi
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Make sure you get a room where your window faces the mountains. Beautiful view from you room, mountains and a small running stream right outside your window. There is a nice walking concrete path that runs next to the hotel also. I haven't used the pool or hot tub but they do look nice. The breakfast is fantastic, many items to choose from....waffles, bagels, eggs, sausage, toast, cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, pastries and oatmeal to name most of it. Everything we have tried so far has been fresh and tasty. I booked a room with a king bed. There is a small fridge, micro., ironing board, hair dryer and coffee pot in the room. I got a really good deal on the room with my Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa. The room has a large closet and decent dresser with a flat screen tv. The bed is extremely comfortable including the pillows. I will definitely stay here again when I come out to visit my son at Fort Carson. It is about 13 miles from the base but it is worth it.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the mountain, view is great. My room number is 217, try to get it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Mark K, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn North - Air Force Academy Area, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Mililtt,

Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review on our hotel. I am glad that we were able to provide you with a great stay. We always appreciate receiving positive feedback it encourages us to do our jobs even better.

We look forward to seeing you the next time you come to town!

Albany, New York
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This place was not that great. Some aspects were updated and some were seriously lacking. For $45 on Priceline I guess it wasn't that bad. The property definitely has potential to be much better than what it is.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Mark K, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn North - Air Force Academy Area, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Henry P.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are constantly trying to keep updating to get the hotel back to where we think it should be. We still have a ways to go with lots of little things that still need to be taken care of. Our pricing reflects that need to still take care of those items. We are continuing our renovations but it does take time if you cannot just stop everything and focus on just the renovation. I hope that you will come stay with us again if you are back in the area so you can see how much we keep improving.

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel is off the main road. Room was OK, but there were holes in the walls where they had removed things but not filled the holes in. Also a gash behind the TV. there were broken screens in the breakfast room and on the patio, plus when you looked at the front of the building, there were torn screens there too.
The real problem was the pool area. The door to the pool room was a hole in the door (no door knob). Upon entering, there was a strong smell of Chlorine - enough to burn your eyes and nose and the pool was cloudy.. The hot tub was extremely hot but we got in and noticed the main filter plate on the bottom of the tub was not attached and slid off the hole. There was a hose next to the hot tub that was left strung across in front of some chairs which could be a problem if someone tripped on it.
We went outside to the patio area since it was a warm day, and there were cigarette butts in the creases of the concrete and the chairs were not cleaned off. This could have been because spring has just started, but then don't open that area until you are ready to accept guests on the patio.
The last thing was that they accept dogs in this facility. I'm OK with that, but I am not OK when there is a dog on the next room and it starts to bark at 7am!! Dog use rooms should be separated from the regular rooms.
We only stayed one night, but I expect more out of owners that choose to affiliate themselves with Choice Hotels.

Room Tip: Make sure there are no dog friendly room near your room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Darrah C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. I am sorry that we were not able to provide you with an excellent stay here in Colorado springs. Our pet rooms are limited to certain areas of the hotel in order to prevent as many issues as possible. I will be sure to clean up the patio area as it can get rather dirty with even just one guest not caring about throwing away their cigarette butts. I will also be sharing your review with our maintenance staff to make sure those issues are addressed.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We go to Colorado Springs quite often and we stay at the Comfort Inn North because the staff is great. Andrew is helpful and always remembers us. He is knowledgable about the area and able to give great directions. Christina checked us in, she remembered us and was very kind. She was very good at her job and pleasant. Joseph and Chuck are additional staff that have always been very helpful! The staff goes out of the to make you happy. I went for bike ride (trail runs behind the Hotel) and Andrew had an orange for me on my return. Awesome! He is an asset to the Comfort Inn! Christina is a great start to the day, she has a happy smile and friendly attitude and makes you feel welcome! She does a great job! Thank You For a Wonderful weekend!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Mark K, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn North - Air Force Academy Area, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Hello Beth E,

Thank you very much for taking the time to submit this stunning review on our hotel. I am glad that you enjoy staying with us as much as do you and wanted to let you know we look forward to your each and every stay with us. We are always striving to provide the best customer service that we possibly can. We look forward to your next stay!

Colorado Spring
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Speaking with the manager ( ANDREW ) on the phone was very pleasant, when we arrived Andrew showed us the room first and it was very clean. We decided to book the room after explaining our experience at the he Days Inn with people smoking in their rooms at a non smoking hotel, The manager there would not do anything, Andrew informed us that this hotel dose not tolerate smoking. Andrew was like a breath of fresh air and very knowledgeable about Colorado Springs. We asked for sights to see and places to eat. Andrew always was so bubbly and eager to help you out in way he could, He also told us places for employment. This hotel is A plus very clean and great breakfasts. This hotel also has walking trails behind it. So you could enjoy a peaceful afternoon walk and hear the birds sing. I used these walking trails every day to walk my dog. I would highly recommend this hotel. Andrew is like a walking book of knowledge of the best restaurants and sights to see.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Mark K, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn North - Air Force Academy Area, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Dear Debbie D,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. It is always a wonderful thing to read a review from a guest that enjoyed their stay as much as you did. We all make it a goal to know about as much of Colorado Springs as we can. This makes it easier to provide our guests with the knowledge they may need when staying in town. We are a non-smoking hotel and try to make sure that it stays that way for all of our guests enjoyment.

I hope that the job hunt or jobs you may have now are going well.

We hope to see you again whenever you are in the area.

Altoona, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We were excited to book a travel package through priceline which included a stay at the Comfort Inn located at 6450 Corporate Center Dr CO. We had arrived late after a day of flight and were aware of the poor conditions (filth and a non-working heating/cooling system) to list a few concerns. After speaking with the desk manager and showing the photos we had taken as proof, the response was "wow that's crazy". We then politely asked to move to a different Comfort Inn which in fact was located closer to our destination, the response 'was we will call you.' We are still waiting on this call and had to pay an additional 400.00 to stay elsewhere after no response was received. A credit is certainly in order and deserving not merely an I'm sorry for your experience as ALL the other reviews have been answered with Tim Yahner

Room Tip: The pictures are deceiving and are not an accurate description
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Timy1218
Mark K, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn North - Air Force Academy Area, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear Timy1218,

I am sorry to hear about the issues you experienced during your stay with us. I looked up your account and noticed that we did in fact refund the money to priceline. We cannot refund to your account directly we have to refund to priceline and they should have refunded the money to your account. Priceline.com does not allow us to transfer, cancel or change their reservations. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

I do not know who you spoke to at the desk but will be sure to pass along to all of my employees that this issue was handled improperly and unacceptably. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a wonderful stay in Colorado Springs. If there is anything further I can do to assist you feel free to email me at andrewsharp018@gmail.com.

Sincerest Apologies,