“Despite its convenient location to our family, I doubt we will ever stay there again.”

Econo Lodge Downtown
Ranked #85 of 104 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Hotels like people have bad days. I have traveled enough to know that you never know when you are going to hit that bad day.

So when we arrived on the Friday before Labor Day to a mumbling desk clerk who was asking too many questions and not giving us any service, I was irritated. We got into the room and there was a large sticky spot on the floor. I mean very sticky, as in pull your socks off sticky. It was probably spilled soda but why didn’t the maid find it and clean it. We left the desk chair over the sticky spot.

There was some sort of noise that sounded like a squeak that was continuous from somewhere that seemed to be over head (on the second floor). It woke us up early the next day so we went to take a shower and found that there was no or very little hot water. We muddled through somehow.

We discovered that there was no information about the high speed internet and by accident I found a CAT-5 plug, however I never was able to connect. Every night we had to run the vent fan as someone was smoking near our room. Running the vent was the only way to prevent the smell. (I wish hotels would buy systems that allow the fan to run continuously and inject hot or cold as needed.) The room was always a bit cool in the morning.

The next day the shower was fine. In the middle of the night I awoke and when I went back to bed my foot found some sort of crusty patch on the lower corner of the bottom sheet, it was bigger than my foot! Well that put me right off sleeping and when exhaustion was about to overtake me, the squeaking took off.

It was like rolling thunder. Every day it was something else and seemingly worse than the one before. This was not a bad day, it is a bad hotel. Despite its convenient location to our family, I doubt we will ever stay there again.

Room Tip: There are no best rooms
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 August 2011

We'd been given on-campus rooms for a seminar, but they were terrible beyond belief, so I fled to this nearby motel and was happy with my choice. Mary checked me in with friendly courtesy and the room, although basic, was faultlessly clean. Very convenient to the Colorado College campus, two blocks away.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 August 2011

This Econo Lodge in downtown Colorado Springs is a great value. There is a small pool, a parking lot, free light breakfast available, and two HBO channels. It is on the edge of a college campus, and there is a laundromat and dry cleaner around the corner and several restaurants within walking distance. The spacious corner room I was in had a microwave and small fridge, and there is free wi-fi. The bathroom was small but clean, with a new vanity. The rooms are set back from the road so you don't hear the traffic.

But there are some drawbacks. The structure is two stories, and there is no elevator. (I have a disability and had requested a ground-level room and was very grateful that they saved one for me.) The property is showing its age, both in terms of decor and upkeep. The toilet in my room kept running. It was the victim of a bad repair job. When I fixed it so it wouldn't run, I then sometimes had to lift the lid and jiggle the wires so it would flush. The light in the bathroom was inadequate. There were lots of ants. The carpet desperately needed to be shampooed. It turned the bottoms of my feet black. I could hear the people upstairs stomping about.

But even though there were these drawbacks, my one-week stay there was fine. I could easily put up with these things, especially at the price I paid.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Our stay was horrible. We brought our 2 year old and set up our room for her. The staff was upset by "how we set it up" and busted into our room without knocking. Within 10 min of being their, we heard a fight outside and saw a woman get her windows busted out. There were 5 murders in the area that night ( which just tells you how the area is) The breakfast is nothing special, and its called "econo" because they refuse to turn on the air in the hotel or the lights. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jac86
Reviewed 29 June 2011

We stayed for one night for around $66. Checked in late. The front desk clerk wasn't outwardly friendly, so my first impression wasn't all that positive. The non-smoking room (2 queen beds) and bathroom were relatively large and clean. Good wifi (Free) connection and tv quality.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Room smelled very bad. Stated non-smoking but smelt smoke residue and a lot of funk! Very musty. Upon check in I was given a nightly rate, however that only applied for that night and my rate increased by $20 and I was not notified. When I confronted them of the bill at checkout they said they had to talk with the manager and she would call me - no one ever called and I was not credited the difference. There are many more options for the additional $20 that are much better. Now I know better and will never stay at this place again. I will visit Colorado Springs again next summer as my son is in the military and I got some good referrals on better places to stay.

Room Tip: Don't Stay Here bad neighborhood unsafe
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2010

This is a very disappointing motel. It is 2 short blocks from Colorado College so seemed a good try--- even with low expectations- for the parents weekend. The rooms are dirty, worn, dim, smell horrible, have loud ac units (I opted for stuffiness) no internet and a broken TV remote. I checked out early and went to another hotel. This place is a great opportunity for Econo Lodge or a better chain to redo and provide a clean simple place close to the CC campus.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo