“Get a Room Toward the Front”

Econo Lodge Downtown
Ranked #85 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Marina, California
“Get a Room Toward the Front”
Reviewed 4 July 2009

I've stayed here twice now because it's an exceptionally well-located motel for a cheap price. The first time I stayed (about two years ago), I got a room about two doors down from the office. The wifi was reliable, good cable TV selection, the room was clean and the bed was nice. I had issues with the number of plugs in the room, but that's typical with older properties. Breakfast was nothing spectacular, but I didn't expect much. It's also served in the office, which is about the size of a regular household bathroom, so it's not really easy to get anything when someone else is in there.
I came back recently and was given a room at the back, and it was very different. First, the place just seemed off. There was a creepy maintenance guy hanging around who kept saying "Have a good stay" and stuff. It seems nice, and maybe I'm paranoid, but I made sure to clean out the car that night. There was also a family possibly living in one of the rooms who would come out sometimes and fight. We weren't close to them, so it wasn't a big deal for us, but I felt bad for whoever was next to them.
The room was pretty nasty. The smell was the big problem. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a smoke smell, but it would have been covered by the much stronger smell of mold. The room was very musty, and running the a/c for the rest of the stay didn't help at all. The bed was pretty awful. I was anticipating bed bugs and checked for signs of them, but found nothing, although the mattress was really, really uncomfortable. We were at a $25/night Motel 6 a couple of nights before this, and this mattress was a little worse. Not only that, but there was no fitted sheet on the mattress, just two regular sheets. A bit weird. On this stay, I had considered booking it for two nights, but, after an hour or so in that room, I'm glad that I hadn't done so.
The real kicker was that my companion happened to look behind the fridge and saw an empty box of condoms on the ground. Nice. I didn't bother to look around in too many other places in the room to see what other little treasures there were. On the other hand, that fridge and microwave were nice to have. That was one of the big pluses from both of my stays here.
But, again, based on the fairly opposite experiences I had in my two separate stays, I wouldn't necessarily write this hotel off. I'll likely be back when I'm in the Springs again, but I'll request a room closer to the office, maybe on the second floor. I would suggest the same for others.
It's kind of a shame that this place hasn't been remodeled more. It gets a good crowd of tourists, and has that awesome location, so it could be a really great place if a little money was put into fixing it up a bit. But, then again, that would jack up the price.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank colinaz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 25 June 2009

We came by bus and easily reached the Econolodge. At no point did we need a car.
We saved money by not driving and by staying together in one room. The motel was clean and located in a delightful part of Colorado Springs.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Lann7
Stanley, North Dakota
Reviewed 23 June 2009

This hotel is very close to the college area but the room was very clean, more spacious than expected, and I was very happy to have stayed there. Great value! There was even a fridge in the room which I didn't expect.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Englewood, Colorado
Reviewed 19 March 2009

When I checked in I was obviously checking in with my girlfriend. We asked for a room and when we went up to see the room it had two twin beds in it instead of a king. I went down and talked to the attendant and he said that all the king bed rooms were sold out. You would think someone would mention that when a person is checking in with their significant other.

The "High-speed" internet was extremely slow, so slow that after a few minutes of trying I gave up on it all together.The beds were not all that comfortable, the sheets came off very easily. The pillows were flat and the mattress was hard.

The hotel is pretty close to the downtown area. It was about a 15-20 minute walk from quite a few restaurants and stores so that was a definite PLUS. The water pressure was decent and we had warm water to go along with it.

I would say that if you are looking for one or two nights in a decently priced hotel and you don't intend on spending much time in the hotel room, then this would probably be the place for you. Otherwise, I'd look somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
London, England
Reviewed 1 March 2009

The Econo Lodge was a hotel, with a motel feel near downtown Colorado Springs. It’s a 15 walk from restaurants and bars. The hotel is basic, but cheap. It’s clean and perfectly ok for a couple of nights, but after staying 4 nights the problems start becoming very noticeable. For example, the heating is inadequate. Each room has a wall mounted heater and air cooler. If you turn the heater on the air in the room becomes mega dry, and very quickly the room becomes mega hot. If you don't turn the heater on, you freeze to death. The heater front cover also kept falling off which was annoying.

We stayed in rooms with 2 queen beds, with a maximum of 4 people per room. It was annoying that there were only 4 rubbish pillows. The hotel needs to provide better/more pillows.

The breakfast is situation in the reception. The breakfast is very basic and designed to take away. There is no real seating.

Overall it was ok. Nothing special. I'd probably check out other places in future next time when I'm in the area.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 27 December 2007

My family rented two rooms at this property, one smoking and one non-smoking. Both were excellent and clean. This is an older motel but seems to have been taken care of over the years. Internet access works well. Continental breakfast is a good, light start for the day. We had good water pressure and hot water in both rooms, which were in different wings. Beds were comfortable. Good value. Front desk was helpful and courteous.

• Liked — Room was very comfortable.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank QASable