“My Go To Hotel in the Springs”

The Academy Hotel Colorado Springs
Ranked #13 of 103 Hotels in Colorado Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I travel, a lot. As such, I value, speedy check in, reliable wifi, good breakfast, quiet evenings and comfortable bed.

I have gotten all of this at this hotel. I typically book through Hotels.com as I am in their top tier but The Academy has their own rewards program. If you stay, 10-11 times you get a night free. Very similar to Hotels, but they also throw in a $10 gift certificate for the restaurant.

The beds are comfortable and soft. They are not quite as thick as a Hampton, but much more so for any hotel in the price range. The rooms are much larger than most hotels. Have not stayed in a jacuzzi room yet, must try that at some point, but they are very spacious. Hate that cramped feeling in some hotels. The TV is a flat panel and large enough to see from your bed as you fall asleep while trying to catch the last bit of Sport Center.

The hotel is close to some of my fave places to eat in the Springs, Pei Wei, Drifters Burgers to name a couple, but it is nice not having the leave the hotel. The room has always been clean and comfortable and they actually have both HBO and Showtime along with a host of other channels. This past trip, was actually upgraded to a nicer room which was a blessing. Great to have the extra space, a chair and bigger desk. All rooms I have stayed at here have a microwave and fridge.

I ordered the rib eye steak. Now admittedly I have had better at some good steakhouses, but the price was great and it is loaded with food. Last trip had the prime rib and the plate was brimming with veggies and potato. What really made this trip special is my waitress. A big shout out to Kelly who is new there but wow what an amazing personality and a true service mentality. I commented how good the soup was and since it was closing time, they had extra and she brought me a small to go cup. It is these type of high touch, high service that ranks this hotel with the Ritz and Four Seasons of the world. Not comparing it those, but aside from a killer deal at The Hotel, Aria or other high end Vegas hotel, I have not found a better experience for the money.

OK, so a biggie for me is breakfast. I travel and bagels, cereal, waffles, pre-made egg and sausage get old. This hotel has the Holy Grail of breakfast. BACON Add that, cooked to order omelets from a friendly and wonderful omelet chef and you have a breakfast that is as good as any Embassy Suite.

My only wish was that this hotel was at every stop of the 50 hotel nights I use every year.

If you go, get Kelly as your waitress and put a buck in Patrick's tip jar as that man cooks a mean omelet.

Room Tip: Many good places to eat around the hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,380)

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Beautiful lobby complete with fireplace and comfortable sitting area. In house bar and grill. Breakfast was excellent! The omelet was fantastic. Fitness room was good. Room was comfortable, clean, and well appointed.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I am disabled with a service dog. Everybody went out of their way to help me. My room was upgraded and beautiful. Had sustained 30 mile an hour winds with gusts to 65, could hardly hear it in my room.. Breakfast bar is wonderful including and omelet chef.

Room Tip: Corner rooms would be noisier in high wind.
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Hotel staff was friendly. The hallway and staircases were dirty. Lots of debris all over the parking lots. Hot tub was cold, rundown and no towels. Once we asked for towels it took about 15 mins to get them. The room seemed clean although we did find trash next to the bed. Probably won't stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We stayed here during a trip to move my son to Colorado Springs. The lobby of this hotel is very pretty, fire blazing and lights on the trees, a couple fountains. The room was very clean and nice and we had a view of the mountains from our window. The compliminatry breakfast was very good and they have a very good happy hour in the bar/restaurant. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 January 2014

There were 90 in our group and the hotel did a great job keeping our group together with the chaperone's rooms placed in the perfect locations. Check in was a breeze and the high school students loved this hotel! It had a great lay out and everyone enjoyed the amazing breakfast that was offered each morning. Everything was plentiful, efficient, and delicious. The omelet station and the gentlemen that worked there were also wonderful. If you're looking for a hotel for a large group in Colorado Springs, this hotel does an exceptional job. Thank you Suzy for all your help in setting this up!

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We stayed here during Spring Break. It was myself, my husband and our 8 yr old son and 5 yr old daughter. The check in was quick and easy. The room was clean and had a view from the window of the mountains. With four of us taking a shower every single day I worried the hot water wouldnt last but to my suprise it did. My favorite part of this hotel was the breakfast. Each morning we woke up to go have breakfast in the lobby. They had so many selections to choose from which was wonderful for my picky kiddos. I loved the make your own waffle section. My husband loved the chef prepared omlet section. We stayed here while we were searching for a location to relocate from in a couple of years. The front desk people were helpful in suggesting placed to look at. We will be staying here again when we go back.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family