“Fantastic breakfast!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“Fantastic breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Have stayed here twice with a larger group for a sporting tournament at the nearby Olympic Training Centre. The hotel has been incredibly accommodating, and has ensured our stay has been enjoyable. This year we were pleased to see updates to the furniture in the main lobby/common area. There is an indoor pool, outdoor hot tub, and small fitness centre on-site. Parking is free. The best thing of all was the hot breakfast buffet (complete with an omelette and waffle centre) which allowed us to have a different breakfast every day even when we were there for almost a week. We will plan to stay here in the future when we travel to Colorado Springs!

Green Features: Hotel has dispensers to save on soap, shampoo and conditioner bottles. Will not change sheets or towels unless requested, and the heater has the option for an energy saving function.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
Pueblo, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

My family has stayed here for years. The Hotel needs updating. The years are starting to really show. We stayed two nights but we asked on the second night to be moved to another room. The first room (170) had poor water pressure, the shampoo dispenser fell off the wall, the caulking on the countertop was peeling badly, the pillow cases were dirty. When they moved us the room was much improved, updated. I think the entire facility should be updated, including the outdoor hot tub, it was very dirty, and the water was warm not hot. We love going for the atmosphere but we feel like money needs to be spent on updates. One last thing, the dinning area needs better lighting, you can't really see what you are eating. I put horseradish on my baked potato because I thought it was sour cream. Too dark where you eat. Otherwise I like the staff, I like the pool and the breakfast buffet. Thanks.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the Executive towers, rooms are much more updated.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Was disappointed after reading the high reviews. Rooms are adequate but old and dated. Common areas and pool were good. Has a convenient bar restaurant in the hotel. Breakfast was okay. Is located near the interstate, Wal-Mart, and restaurants.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
John W, Owner at The Academy Hotel Colorado Springs, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience and please accept my sincere apology for not meeting your expectations. I pay close attention to all reviews and my Staff and I work very hard to make each and every guests experience at The Academy Hotel a positive and memorable stay. We clearly fell short of this goal in your case which is very disappointing to me. I’m positive I could have found a room type that would have met your needs had this been communicated to me while you were here. The Academy Hotel is a 200 room full service Hotel and has three wings, all of which have been renovated and/or updated within the last three years. The Executive Tower Wing has four floors which are served by Elevator. The Tower guest rooms all have been fully renovated within the last three years and feature new furnishings, carpet, wallpaper, art, flat screen TV’s, triple sheeted pillow top beds with lots of pillows and black out roller shades. We also have a Dream King upgrade in the Executive Tower which features memory foam mattresses and 42” flat screen TV’s. Large Jacuzzi Suites are also available in the Executive Tower. The Leisure wing and Pet Friendly wings are two story wings and the second floor of these Wings is served by stairs. These rooms have received new carpet within the last two years, fresh paint, black out roller shades and triple sheeted beds. Our Leisure and Pet Friendly rooms are clean and well suited for the value oriented Leisure Guest. The Atrium Lobby, Corridors and the Restaurant (Falcon’s Bar and Grill) renovation was completed in 2010 and feature new floor and wall coverings, new Front Desk, Business Center, Fountains, Fireside Lounge, Fitness Center, Arcade and a freshly refinished pool. We are a Family owned and operated Hotel (since 1980) and work very hard to try to provide each of our guests with a memorable experience, warm personal service and modern amenities. It is my hope you will see fit to give us another chance on your next visit to Colorado Springs. I am confident we can find the right room type for your needs and could transform a disappointed guest to a loyal customer. Thank you once again for your valued feedback.
TOLEDO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

Very pleased. Service is great, food is good. We were disappointed the outdoor hot tub was not open this time of year (Feb) we enjoy a dip when it is chilly. The indoor pool was very nice. The hotel is very clean and offers many nice touches. Gorgeous fresh floral arrangements, lemon and orange ice water dispensers in the lobby. The breakfast buffet included with the room is above and beyond. Omelets made to order are a highlight.

• Stayed February 2014
Loveland, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

I really wanted to like this hotel. We had stayed at the Academy Hotel 10 years ago and it was showing it's age then. From the pictures on the website, it looked like the hotel had been updated since then. For the most part, that is true. Some areas of the lobby have been remodeled, as well as the rooms. The bathrooms, however, need some updating. They were clean, but nothing special. We only stayed one night and woke up to a wet carpet. We notified the front desk that there was a leak by the air conditioning unit. Also, our key card didn't work properly and we had to try several times to get the card in just right so the door would open. The public areas of the hotel, especially the floors could have used a thorough cleaning. It just made the hotel look dingy. Even though there were some negatives, there were also some positives. The best part of the hotel is the Falcon Bar. We enjoyed wonderful cocktails while watching the Olympics on the big screen t.v. The staff was terrific there. The pool is large and the kids who were using it were having a great time. The breakfast the next morning was good with made to order omelets and a waffle bar. However, when we arrived for breakfast, the hostess pointed us to a table, which had been cleared but still had crumbs on it. We waited for 10 minutes and when no one came to our table, we finally got up and found plates for the breakfast buffet. On one last positive note, the rooms had microwaves, mini refrigerators, and coffee makers. I think this would be a good hotel for families, but the management needs to look into some of these small details to make it an even better hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

I booked a leisure room at The Academy Hotel for 3 nights after a pipe burst at my apartment and damaged the furnace and water heater. I wanted a hotel that had free WI-FI and was close to work and it exceeded my expectations. The free breakfast buffet with the omelet station was awesome.The lighted close up mirror was a nice touch in the bathroom. The staff was super nice and sympathetic to my situation. And I jumped on the upgrade to the executive tower when I had to book more nights at the hotel. The leisure rooms are comfortable, but the executive rooms are a little nicer with the flat screen TVs, spacious rooms. and a better view outside. If I ever have to get a hotel room again in case of a emergency, I'll book at the The Academy Hotel. I'll definitely recommend this hotel to my out of town family and friends.

Room Tip: Ask for an executive room in the tower. It may cost a little more, but it is worth it. Ask for room...
Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

i come up to Colorado Springs every year at spring break and my daughter and i only stay at the Academy Hotel. the staff is friendly and the food is fantastic. we always stay in the executive tower rooms, the view of Pikes Peak is great and the beds are super comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family