“If it weren't for the great customer service, I would have rated w/ a Zero”

The Academy Hotel Colorado Springs
Ranked #15 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Centennial, Colorado
“If it weren't for the great customer service, I would have rated w/ a Zero”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I have to agree with Allen H. We were in room 153 and our toilet seat (not the lid that closes, but the seat that you lift up) would slide to the right every time you would sit down. At one point I thought it was going to break (and no, I am not fat...I am 5'9 and weigh 138). Not only is the lid cheap, the toilet is cheap too! At 4 am after just falling asleep I got up to use the restroom. I flushed, and seconds later as I walked around the corner back into the room I literally hear water pouring out so fast....I turned around and it was already flowing toward the carpet. Needless to say, I called the front desk. A guy with a plunger and 3 towels showed up. He plunged the toilet and left me to clean up the toilet water with THREE TOWELS! No gloves, nothing! So I had to use my feet (with shoes on) to try and clear the water which eventually had to just air dry because 3 towels wasn't going to get the job done. And yes, he said that was all the towels he could get at the time. You would think he would show up w/ a mop and some Lysol, and rubber gloves.... Ugh. It was a nightmare. I didn't go back to sleep after that, so I literally got about 30 minutes of sleep that night.

HOWEVER, I contacted the owner/general manager and he was very, very apologetic and he literally gave us the entire night for free!!! I was expecting a discount of some sort since I had to clean up the toilet mess myself, but I didn't expect them to pay for the entire night! So if the toilet was a little better, I would definitely say come stay at The Academy Hotel! Very very nice people. The guy who came w/ the plunger and towels was just young. I am sure he was trained on what NOT to do next time that happens.

Oh, and their all-you-can-eat breakfast is outstanding! Everything you can think of is there! And this is free! Yummy, now I am craving their waffles!

Room Tip: Please know, I would give the service a +5 if it weren't for the "toilet" incident!
Green Features: 153 is right near an outside door that you can hear slam often....ask for a different room if you get placed here!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
Longmont, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I was in Colorado Springs for business so my wife decided to come along. The Academy Hotel was close to were I needed to be and after looking at the reviews it was a no brainier. The room was as expected, very clean and roomy. The bed was very comfortable, slept like a baby. Some hotels have beds that are so hard it makes my back ache but not here. And loads of pillows! The breakfast buffet was awesome! Omelets made to order, unlimited coffee, french toast, waffles, cereal etc. The staff was very friendly. The pool area was well kept the only issue we had was the hot tub was out of order. I highly recommend The Academy Hotel when visiting Colorado Springs.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Firefighter1322
Montrose, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

This was my second time staying at The Academy Hotel. We had the best time! We wanted a hotel we felt safe in and good stay for our money. The rooms are nice and super quiet- we didn't hear a thing while resting. The breakfast is lovely way more then the normal muffin. The personal are all friendly and helpful. Plus we got a discount at the bar and grill for booking with the hotel direct. We will stay here again!

Room Tip: Higher floor made it super quiet
Green Features: Love that the reuse and recycle. The little note around the room were nice.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Washington, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

THE BAD:
We stayed at the Academy Hotel in Room 122 on 25, 26, 27 and 28 May 2014. You cannot see outside anywhere through the window in Room 122, because the exterior wall faces other nearby exterior walls of the building. Hence, there is no sunlight or real daylight coming into the room through the window at any time, which makes the room quite dark, even when the blinds are open.during the day. There may be a lower, more uncomfortable toilet with a super-cheap, broken toilet lid somewhere in the world, but I believe it would be most difficult to find. When one finally gets sat all the way down onto the extra low toilet, you are almost looking between your knees. For old folks like us, that is extremely uncomfortable. On the other hand, the height of the toilet is probably just right for the 10-and-younger guests.

The adjustable-height swivel *chair(s) at the desk, would not stay in the elevated position. Rather they would unexpectedly and suddenly drop a few inches when you were sitting in them. (*We tried two different chairs, and both had the same problem.) These chairs likewise seemed to be of the super-cheap variety.

THE UGLY:
The colors in Room 122 are just plain drab, which makes the room a bit dull and dingy, especially given the lack of daylight. There were some fragments of facial tissue on the floor the entire time we were at this Hotel, which indicates the room was never vacuumed during our stay.

THE GOOD:
This Hotel is in a very good location with convenient freeway access/egress, and direct entry into the Air Force Academy on Academy Boulevard. The service at the Acadmey Hotel is exceptional with a very cordial, helpful and accommodating staff. The buffett breakfast is superior to any other buffet breakfast we have eaten at during the last few years. The variety is good, and the food is very good with fresh-made waffles and made-to-order omelets available. The eating area is spacious and pleasant, as it is located in a large indoor atrium. The large atrium also provides a very pleasant and comfortable place to visit with larger groups, rather than crowding into a single room or congregating in the lobby.

If Room 122 were representative of the what the Acadmey Hotel has to offer, I would never stay there again, even at dramatically reduced rates. However, based on the popularity of this Hotel, I have to believe staying in some of the other rooms provides a much more desirable lodging experience.

p.s. The bathroom facuet leaked profusely. Overall, I feel like I paid $120.00 per night for $79.00 per night lodging in Room 122.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Room 122!!
Green Features: The Academy Hotel is environmentally concious, and strives to minimize unecessary energy and water waste.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

My family stays here all the time. Great full breakfast buffet is always great to start and plan our day out!
Good location makes it easy to find: right off I-25, straight off South Gate of Air Force Academy

• Stayed May 2014
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

For the money paid, I think this hotel was just fine. The room could use a bit of updating (the wallpaper was very obviously peeling off the way) and the bed wasn't the most comfortable, but it worked for a one night stay. The lobby was very nice, the staff was extremely friendly, and the breakfast in the morning was one of the best I have seem. Omelets made to order, eggs, ham, biscuits, waffles, etc. - that really made the stay worth while. If you are just planning on passing through town and need a place to catch a few zs, this will definitely work at a price you can't complain about.

Green Features: The shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and soap dispensers were a great touch. There is always enough for your needs and a lot less plastic bottle waste to head to the landfill.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Alexandria, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

This hotel has been a favorite since we first visited 6 years ago when our family toured USAFA. It had a nicely appointed rooms, an amazing breakfast and friendly staff. At that time, it was a chain hotel. While our son attended USAFA the past 4 years, we and our family and friends stayed here whenever we stayed in a hotel in the Springs.

We chose to stay at the Academy Hotel this spring for our sons USAFA graduation, and our party rented 8 rooms. Unfortunately, the hotel has seen some decline. Our rollaway was delivered with dirty bedding in it, and others in our group also had dirty bedding upon check-in. These were resolved, but the entire place has a feel of decline. Ice machine didn't work, the rooms seem "tired", housekeeping was marginal, etc. Finally, the breakfast which has been so impressive in the past, has been reduced to a breakfast that you might find at any other chain hotel...plus an omelet bar with a very friendly chef. (He was our highlight of the week).

This was an incredibly busy week with USAFA graduation and at least one wedding. So much so, that we got the "last" rooms when I booked them a year in advance. Because of that, I expected the hotel and staff to be geared up for a busy weekend. They seemed overwhelmed and not quite up to the task.

I share this review in hopes that the Academy Hotel can make improvements and return to its former fantastic experience.