“Super friendly staff, great hotel, location and a yuuummmmyyyy breakfast buffet!”

The Academy Hotel Colorado Springs
Ranked #15 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Peachtree City, Georgia
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have always loved this hotel, long before it was the Academy Hotel, it was previously the Raddisson owned by the Thompsons, and I believe one of his children now owns the property. I haven't been to this location in probably 8 years. They have done some wonderful upgrades! The hotel remains to look updated, and clean. The staff is wonderful, friendly, helpful and accommodating. We added an extra night to our stay and called a week before, due to them not having the room that we had booked for on the extra night we needed, they upgraded us to a Tower King Executive for no extra charge.The breakfast buffet was amazing, who would expect all that food for free!!! The only thing we had an issue with was the bed, it was super hard. I hate to have to complain about something with this hotel, because we loved it so much, but either way our next trip to Colorado Springs, we will be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

The pictures don't do it Justice! Neglect, ran down, unclean are the words to describe the academy hotel! If you have kids, make sure you have tetanus shots and a strong immune system! If it were not for Patrick (omelet guy) and breakfast, it would be a bust!

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Gerad S
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Myself and a coworker visited the site in preparation for taking a large group up in the coming months. The rooms were great the only thing I would have changed was the Air conditioner was older and we noticed a rip in the carpeting but other then that the staff and the facility was wonderful and we cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: I would recommend asking for a mountain view room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Perfect location for folks visiting the Academy. The staff is fantastic, very friendly and helpful - they really do care about your comfort and convenience. The free breakfast is the best hotel breakfast I've ever experienced, and their omelet chef is fantastic, best omelet in Colorado. Plus the $10 certificate for dinner makes for a nice dining option.
The not so good - our view was an exterior wall and the AC unit is in the room and was pretty loud when it kicked on. We ended up turning it off, which was OK as the room did not got hot. This was my second time staying at The Academy Hotel, and I'll stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
Green Features: Fantastic staff and free cookies at the front desk when you check in.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Upon arriving it took the young lady about 15 minutes to find my reservation. It was a prepaid reservation that I had made a few months prior on Expedia. After that ordeal I went to the room and the keys didn't work. Ran back down, waited in line, fixed keys, went back, keys still didn't work, issued new keys, worked, until the next morning and had to have it done again. The room was nice, clean and comfortable. Didn't attend breakfast the next morning.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Centennial, Colorado
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I have to agree with Allen H. We were in room 153 and our toilet seat (not the lid that closes, but the seat that you lift up) would slide to the right every time you would sit down. At one point I thought it was going to break (and no, I am not fat...I am 5'9 and weigh 138). Not only is the lid cheap, the toilet is cheap too! At 4 am after just falling asleep I got up to use the restroom. I flushed, and seconds later as I walked around the corner back into the room I literally hear water pouring out so fast....I turned around and it was already flowing toward the carpet. Needless to say, I called the front desk. A guy with a plunger and 3 towels showed up. He plunged the toilet and left me to clean up the toilet water with THREE TOWELS! No gloves, nothing! So I had to use my feet (with shoes on) to try and clear the water which eventually had to just air dry because 3 towels wasn't going to get the job done. And yes, he said that was all the towels he could get at the time. You would think he would show up w/ a mop and some Lysol, and rubber gloves.... Ugh. It was a nightmare. I didn't go back to sleep after that, so I literally got about 30 minutes of sleep that night.

HOWEVER, I contacted the owner/general manager and he was very, very apologetic and he literally gave us the entire night for free!!! I was expecting a discount of some sort since I had to clean up the toilet mess myself, but I didn't expect them to pay for the entire night! So if the toilet was a little better, I would definitely say come stay at The Academy Hotel! Very very nice people. The guy who came w/ the plunger and towels was just young. I am sure he was trained on what NOT to do next time that happens.

Oh, and their all-you-can-eat breakfast is outstanding! Everything you can think of is there! And this is free! Yummy, now I am craving their waffles!

Room Tip: Please know, I would give the service a +5 if it weren't for the "toilet" incident!
Green Features: 153 is right near an outside door that you can hear slam often....ask for a different room if you get placed here!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I was in Colorado Springs for business so my wife decided to come along. The Academy Hotel was close to were I needed to be and after looking at the reviews it was a no brainier. The room was as expected, very clean and roomy. The bed was very comfortable, slept like a baby. Some hotels have beds that are so hard it makes my back ache but not here. And loads of pillows! The breakfast buffet was awesome! Omelets made to order, unlimited coffee, french toast, waffles, cereal etc. The staff was very friendly. The pool area was well kept the only issue we had was the hot tub was out of order. I highly recommend The Academy Hotel when visiting Colorado Springs.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business