“Great service, great view”

Holiday Inn Express - Air Force Academy
Ranked #36 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Homer Glen, IL
“Great service, great view”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We had a wonderful experience at the Holiday Inn in Colorado Springs. Although the stay started off bumpy, our room was not ready when we arrived and we had to wait an extra 45 minutes in the lobby. However, Brian at the front desk tried everything in his power to make us happy.

In fact, I think Brian has the best customer service I have ever seen at a hotel - ever.

While waiting in the lobby one morning, a woman pushed her elderly mother in a wheel chair to the front door and left her in the doorway as she went to get the car. That morning, people were trying to get around her as they checked out and through the door. I watched as Brian noticed this, went to the woman and asked kindly if he could move her over a bit. She agreed and he moved her just to the right out of everyone's way. However, instead of walking away, he knelt down and started to talk to her and remained with her until her daughter came - who was unaware of what happened. I was so touched and moved that he would go out of his way to stay with her to make her more comfortable.

In addition to the great customer service, the hotel was spotless and had everything we wanted and then some. Each morning we ate breakfast on the balcony with the view of the mountains. Could not have asked for more.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Stephanie H, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express - Air Force Academy, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Pat_Homer_Glen, thank you for taking the time to share your review. It's so great that you enjoyed your stay, and it's great to hear that you were happy with Brian's service, he is a great asset to our team! We all hope to see you and your family again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Wheaton, Illinois
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We came across this hotel after 3 long days of hiking. Without a reservation, we pulled up to this hotel and walked in hoping they had an empty room. The receptionist greeted us very politely with a smile and asked how she could help. I asked if there were any non-smoking rooms and she said all they had was a room with 2 queens. It was a bit expensive, but because we had nothing else in mind, we were willing to pay for the convenience. After telling her that we were IHG Group Members, she gave us a little goodie bag with bottled waters and chips to snack on. She then gave us an info sheet that listed check-out times, pool hours and when the complimentary breakfast was served.
We were able to use the business center to check-in for our flight online and print off our boarding passes. This was very convenient and saved us a lot of time at the airport.
In the morning as we were leaving, we asked where a good brunch place was and the receptionists quickly suggested 2 places and gave us directions to both of them. We ended up going to the Egg and I, great recommendation. The receptionist gave us a smile and wished us a great day and we were off.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Stephanie H, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express - Air Force Academy, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Hi Kaytlin, thanks for your review! We appreciate you staying with us as well as being an IHG Rewards member! We're glad you enjoyed the stay and hope to see you again!
Dana Point, California
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Located 1 block off the freeway, easy to find and get to. We were given a king bed suite which had a loveseat, microwave and refrigerator. Room was crowded with little space between the desk, bed and wall. Also the room looked a bit worn with a torn window screen, droopy window covering and an unattached air conditioner cover. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the hotel was quiet. The free wi-fi worked great and the breakfast was appreciated. Overall, a good stay but nothing special.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front side of the hotel face the freeway, rooms on the back side face Pikes Peak but yo...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
pmlago, thank you for your review! It's great to hear that you enjoyed our beds, location, and breakfast as well as complimentary Wi-Fi. Its a concern to hear about the maintenance issues, if you have a free minute would you contact me with which room you were in so we can fix them? I'd also like to credit your account 5,000 IHG Rewards points for the inconvenience. I hope to hear from you soon!
Indiana
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We chose this hotel after going to Manitou Springs and being concerned about the run-down appearance of the area surrounding the hotel we originally booked. The staff was very friendly, and it was easy for us to access the sites we wished to while vacationing. Breakfast was good, the view was nice, the price reasonable. However, there were two major drawbacks. The first was that we were booked on the 4th floor that has a few smoking rooms. The hallway had a strong smoky odor which we brought to the attention of the front desk. We were kindly offered another room, but since we couldn't smell the smoke in our room and we would lose our mountain view, we decided to stay. We were given permission to open hall windows, which helped a bit. I think it would be best for the hotel to just go completely smoke-free.

The second drawback was the worse of the two. The first night we were there, hundreds of dollars worth of valuables were stolen from our vehicle. While we understand it is beyond the control of the hotel management, it cast a shadow over our stay in Colorado Springs as a whole. The manager did give us our second (and final) night free and was extremely sympathetic about the theft. The police informed us that it is becoming an increasingly frequent problem in the city. The area surrounding the hotel does not at all seem unsafe and has several nice restaurants nearby. We don't feel it's a problem with the hotel or area necessarily, but we wish people to know to be extra careful and to bring all valuables into your room no matter where you stay in the city

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Indianagogirl, thank you for taking the time to post a review. A lot of hotel chains have gone 100% non-smoking, and we are hearing from a lot of guests that we should too. I wanted to tell you that we will be going non-smoking, and hopefully be done by the end of September. It's just a good choice to make and we are sorry that it was bothersome while you were here. I will also be proposing to our owners that we get an overnight security guard, because we have seen more car break-ins than normal. I'm so sorry that happened to you, we completely understand your frustration. We are glad, however, that you enjoyed our service and location--we are in a great area for dining and shopping! I'd like to invite you back if you ever come to the Springs again, please call me personally and I'll make sure you're well taken care of!
Elgin, Illinois
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We booked this Hotel for week long getaway in Colorado Springs.

The hotel staff always went the extra mile to make sure our stay was perfect. They clearly were not just interested in doing the minimum required but looking for any way they could to add value to our stay. Thanks Lisa for the upgrade and kindness (and go Chicago Blackhawks!) We got a room with view of Pikes Peak. Large, with fridge and microwave.

Two things I thought going into the hotel that were going to be a drawback were the fitness room and the size of pool. Both of which ended up as positives. I normally use an elliptical and did not see one in their picture of the fitness room. Perhaps I missed it. But they indeed had a very nice one. More important is I like to swim laps. I knew the pool would be too small for this and figured I would not swim this week. The pool was too small for laps (families were having a great time in it). But they had a membership to Bally's for all their guests so I was able to go there and actually get access to a very large pool. This worked for me as I had a rent a car (it will not be helpful if you do not have transportation).

As usual, the HI Express breakfast was great. Thankful for the long hours it was open. Glad too that they left the dining room open for use during day/evening. We went down to play games at night and enjoy hot chocolate and coffee which they always had out.

I stay at dozens of hotels every year - this one was at the top of the list for best experience.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Stephanie H, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express - Air Force Academy, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Rich H, It's so great to hear that you enjoyed your stay! We value your business and love to make our guests happy. Thanks for the compliments on our fitness room, we do realize that some exercise routines get more in-depth and offer that free Bally's gym pass to our guests. Thanks for the compliments on breakfast as well, we welcome our guests to use it after breakfast, were you able to enjoy the patio with that awesome view of Pike's Peak? Wow, it is so great to hear that we are on the top of your list of best hotel experiences. We hope you come stay with us again!
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Came here to move my deployed brother into his house because they have babies...checked in and showed my military ID and I was told military discounts are not given during the summer months unless you have PCS orders authorizing payment! I was told my room rate was 129.00 after taxes but after four days I looked at my bill and was charged four different rates..highest was 167.00 twice..when I asked why the clerk had no idea and said it should have been the same..I asked why the military discount was not given during summer and I was told it was policy! Some get it and some don't depending on who is working..staff was nice, room was clean, food was good, location is great! Only complaint is the rate change without advising first and the fact that a sister and brother both serving can't get a discount during the summer! I'm assuming its because of tourism rates during high peak travel times!

• Stayed June 2013
Jacks 816, thanks for your feedback. I have researched your reservation and spoke with my General Manager about it. I see that it was originally booked for one night, and that you extended the reservation a few times for a few more nights, thank you for spending more time with us! Your rate never went above $129, what you are seeing is the authorization hold put on your card. It is standard accounting practice for hotels to authorize enough on a card to allow for tax and incidental charges such as phone calls. This is done to cover the entire stay, and when you extended your stay, your card was authorized for the additional nights each time. Banks can take up to 10 business days to release this hold. I am confident that enough time has passed for those authorizations to be released for you to see that we did not overcharge you, and to be completely sure, I have looked over your bill and there are no charges over $129. I would be happy to send you a receipt if you do not have one. I am also disappointed that the complimentary night we have given to you for this confusion did not resolve the problem, we try to take care of guests so that they do not leave with any negative feedback. I am happy that you found our staff nice, rooms clean, and location convenient, though. Please call if we can do anything further to help, and thanks again.
Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

Management not polite or welcoming at check in. Breakfast was not ready on time (0600) and that really burns me since I was ready to eat and go. No time to wait....had to go without. My bill was stuck in the USA today at the front desk instead of outside of my room (priority club perk).....late too I guess. Poor management = poor staff performance. I won't return

• Stayed May 2013
Brian B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Air Force Academy, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay. The issues you presented are very unsettling with us, and they have been brought to the attention of our full staff and management. I too would be upset. I have discussed your comments with our breakfast staff so we can correct the issue. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, and we appreciate your assessment. We welcome you to contact us if you wish to discuss anything further, and we hope you will give us another chance.