“good location, customer service”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Colorado Springs Air Force Academy
Ranked #28 of 104 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We stayed here with the kids during a weekend trip. The location is good, (I-25 and Woodmen), with easy access to North Colorado Springs, and a short drive to the AFA and downtown. The rooms are clean and up to date. The view is average. There are several restaurants within walking distance across the parking lot, including the Outback and Old Chicago. There was a small pool and hot tub, which were well maintained. Breakfast was included, and was better than average. My only complaint is that we had a malfunctioning smoke detector in our room which went off several times during the night. The night manager worked hard to fix the situation, and offered to switch rooms. We were all exhausted in the morning, but the day manager more than compensated us for our lack of sleep. This is the kind of customer service we've come to expect from Marriott brand hotels. It is also the reason that we will be back to this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Plainstravellors

Reviewed 28 May 2013

We recently spent a couple of nights at this Fairfield Inn while visiting family in Colorado Springs. We arrived early and were pleasantly surprised to find that our room was ready and available for us. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly and professional. We did find that the breakfast area was a little small for the number of people staying at the hotel, but the food was good and there seemed to be plenty of food both times we ate there. The hotel is within close proximity to at least 3 restaurants. This hotel does not have a fitness room, but does allow for use of a Bally's gym in the area. The pool area was adequate size and appeared to be clean. We would stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor and could here people above us running at certain times, but not enough to...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Buckoranch
Reviewed 28 February 2013

We were pleasantly surprised with the Fairfield Inn in Colorado Springs. It was convenient and well appointed. The room was spacious and comfortable with all of the standard equipment such as refrigerator and microwaves. This is a good place and we would stay here again.

It is close to the Interstate and relatively easy to get to. You do have to drive to the end of the road to arrive at the motel. Our GPS stopped navigating about a block or 2 before we arrived at the entrance. We also missed it but don't give up, it is worth it.

There are several restaurants close by that you can walk to (sorry, dangling preposition).

Room Tip: We asked for a room away from the Interstate and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Frank M
Mike G, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Colorado Springs Air Force Academy, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2013

Thank you for your response and the kind words. I am pleased you found the room to be spacious and comfortable.We hope to see you back again soon!

Sincerely, Michael Greene General Manager

Reviewed 20 November 2012

I stayed here one night while visiting the Air Force Academy. The staff was very friendly, the room quite comfortable, clean and well-kept. The only drawback is if you're using a GPS, it is not in the database yet and your GPS will drive you in circles! It's a little off the beaten path, so be sure you know to get there before trying.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bill S
Reviewed 3 October 2012

I stayed here for a week during the national speech and debate tournament and my overall experience was just OK. I gave it 4 stars because of the price and the staff of the hotel, but the accommodations were just 3 stars.
Pros: staff was friendly and helpful, nice selection of breakfast food, rooms were clean, good location for me.
Cons: rooms were outdated and lacked microwave or refrigerator, that would have been very helpful.

Room Tip: If you need a fridge and microwave, I think you have to rent a king suite, the other rooms do not ha...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank NDVikesfan
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Is this a 2 star or 3 star? I thought this was a 3 star, so if this is a 2 star then I apologize in advance for having incorrect expectations. I typically stay in a 3 star so that is what I'm comparing this to.

As others have said, there is no automatic door here, kind of weird. But it's not a huge deal, my wife was happy to hold the door while I pushed in the heavy cart of our stuff. The front desk person was nice enough and helpful. We arrived a bit before check in and we were able to get our room. The lobby smelled citrus like, which was good I suppose. Things in the lobby seemed clean.

We were in room 312. Almost a view of the mountains if you look to the right, but not quite as we were facing south. The room floor was creaky, which was a little disappointing.

I'm always concerned with cleanliness in hotels so I do a quick sweep of commonly "touched" areas. Initial impression was that it looked clean, which is a great start. The light switches were kind of dirty, which made me wonder about the remote and door handles. A little hand sanitizer for these areas was a must. The room had a bit of a musty smell to it, not very fresh. The carpets looked clean, but the room probably could benefit from a little shampooing to help the smell.

Wireless internet worked ok on my computer, but my phone didn't work too well on it for some reason. I ended up just using the 3G signal on my phone a lot of the time, because it was faster, again, the computer was fine.

Housekeeping seemed to be fine. Trash was emptied, cups, toiletries, towels, etc... were all replenished adequately, bed was made.

The bed was comfortable. I kind of wish we would have went $10 more per night and got the king like we are used to, instead of going with the queen. But you live and learn. I guess our room choice didn't get a microwave or refrigerator, which was a little disappointing. This meant that bringing leftovers back from restaurants were out of the question. Perhaps I should have read the amenities a little closer.

Breakfast was ok. Again, I'm not sure if this is a 2 or 3 star location, but the 3 star places I've stayed in offered more options for breakfast and far more seating. There were 2 occasions where we had to sit and wait for a table to open up, then it was like a musical chairs, last one to grab a table was out. I was hoping for foods like scrambled eggs, hash browns, biscuits and gravy, maybe some Canadian bacon as I've gotten with other hotel stays, but this didn't have it those. There were DIY waffles, microwaveable Jimmy Dean sandwiches, oatmeal, and the other regular things like cereals and fruit. You could also find sausage patties and little strange processed looking omelet things. So it was a decent breakfast.

The pool and hot tub were ok. Water temps were good and relaxing. Towels were provided at the pool.

I could not find the fitness center. Do they even have one? We looked around very briefly. We were on vacation, so finding it would only mean we'd have to use it. :)

Checkout was a snap. Very quick and easy.

Location was fine. You are close to a lot of shopping and restaurants. A quick trip down I-25 will get you most touristy stuff in a reasonable amount of time. 15-30 minutes I would say is the average trip time. The location seemed safe, although was frequented by a beggar in the area.

So in summary, this is a ok place if it's a 2 star, but very overrated if it's a 3 star. I'll probably find a different place to stay next time. I didn't have a bad stay, this hotel did not ruin my trip. I just like to be impressed and this was a bit underwhelming and average for my tastes.

My other basis for my hotel comparison was my dad whom stayed in a Super 8 down the road from this hotel.. He got a very similar breakfast, plus had microwave, and refrigerator in the room for less money per night.

Lastly, and I will attach my picture of this. On our last few nights a sports team came in a bus to stay at the hotel. Each night they parked their bus in a way that took up several of the parking spots. The main parking lot was small and filled up at night. You would think the hotel would ask the bus to park in the outlying lot and not wipe out 6 spots in the main one forcing their normal parking guests to walk a further distance. I mentioned this to a guy at the desk, whom didn't really get my hint and didn't seem to understand the problem with the bus taking up 6 spots. I thought it was kind of rude for the hotel to allow this. Plus this team was very loud both after 11PM and before 7AM. I almost called the desk to complain about this, but was too tired.

Room Tip: Ice machines are on 1st and 3rd floor. Elevator is right in the middle. Keep that in mind as those...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank pheaton
Mike G, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Colorado Springs Air Force Academy, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2012

I want to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. I appreciate the positive feed back as well as the areas where we could improve. We value all of our guest comments and I want to assure that I have spoken to my staff and we have addressed those issues. I apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations and we hope with our continued efforts to improve every stay for our guests, you will give the Colorado Springs Fairfield Inn - Air Force Academy another try next time you stay in the area.

Thanks again.

Mike Greene

Reviewed 24 August 2012

Everything that I look for when traveling, friendly staff, clean, comfortable room, convenient location and although I didn't make use of it , the pool looked clean too. The breakfast was the best we have seen on our 18 day road trip.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple