“75¢ short of a dollar”

Dining options: Dinner, Seating
Monument, Colorado
“75¢ short of a dollar”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I had lunch there the other day and ordered the Waldorf sandwich w/ a salad. One word. Don't! It was short on chicken and so long on a mayo based sauce I lost more to the plate than my mouth. But the worst was it so salty it was close to inedible! I should have turned it back but I don't trust kitchen help with returned orders much less first ones. The salad was a little better but fresh would have been two or three days prior. The couple next to me had burgers which they said were good. The history of the town, the photo ops and this historic depot is ultra cool. Too bad the cooking isn't.

• Visited July 2012

Bailey, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“So disappointed”
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We live close to Como and decided to eat out at the Depot for our anniversary after reading the menu on the website and the reviews here. We were so disappointed. The menu has nothing but fried food and burgers except for one steak dinner. My husband had that and I had a salad. His steak was very fatty and was undercooked on the inside and charred on the outside. I was hoping for Salmon that was on the websites menu, but not on the actual menu, so I settled for a salad. Don't waste your money here. The food and service was terrible. The one saving piece was a pretty good guitar player playing background music. Otherwise there would have been NO atmosphere.

• Visited June 2012
Denver, Colorado
“Yummy food, but service needs work”
Reviewed 27 June 2012

The Como Depot is perhaps the only eatery in the tiny town of Como. My friends and I visited after mountain biking in the area around 1:30 in the afternoon. The place was surprisingly full, and we grabbed the last open table. My friends ordered burgers. I ordered fish and chips with sweet potato fries instead of the normal fries.

We quickly got our drinks but then sat unattended for about 40 minutes. Our drinks ran dry, and still no one came to check back on us. Two staff members ran the entire room from seating, taking order, delivering food, and busing tables. They are very good-hearted and trying their best but were obviously overworked and understaffed.

After what felt like an eternity, finally our food came. The burgers rated from "nothing special" to "really good." My fish was excellent though the waiter/kitchen goofed, and I ended up with the regular fries instead of sweet potato. The waiter apologized, but I was too hungry by then to let it bother me. While we ate, we could hear a lot of apologizing for this or that around the room. A lady in the nearby table didn't get what she ordered and had to send the food back.

Too bad for the slow service and messed up orders. This place came highly recommended by some foodie locals. I will likely return. Hopefully, they'll get enough help to do their food and historic setting justice.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank cobiker
Memphis, Tennessee
“Highly Recommended/A Little Underwhelming”
Reviewed 7 September 2011

I wanted to celebrate reaching three 14er summits during my last trip to Colorado asked the owner of the Hand Hotel (Fairplay, CO) if he could recommend a local place. He highly suggested the Como Depot and gave me the number to make a reservation. Needless to say, I was eagerly anticipating the thought of that steak throughout the day.

Once I arrived (and had to navigate the ten year old busboy and the occassional dog that was inside the waiting area), I looked through the menu...

...which listed only one steak choice (ribeye).

The steak (which came with mashed potatoes and zucchini/squash was okay, but a little overpriced at $20.00. I may be guilty to expecting too much, but I was hoping for more than one steak selection. I will state that the server was friendly and attentive throughout the course of the meal.

• Visited September 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
“Meal fit for a mountain biker!”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Cycled through here on my way south to Mexico, excellently prepared and reasonably priced food - the burger was great as was the homemade apple pie. Nice historic setting and friendly staff, free WiFi - it's worth the trip out here!

• Visited July 2011