“Fab stay”

De Vere Wokefield Estate
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Fab stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

Have just returned from another overnight stay at wokefield park . Had a lovely room lovely evening meal and as usual a great breakfast. It's a lovely hotel if u just want to relax and get away from it all we love the grounds and always come home feeling relaxed. Hope to make many more visits this year well done to wokefield team.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Thank you very much for your lovely review. I’m delighted that you had a great stay with us and we hope to see you again soon!
James Gardiner – Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

A great variety of activities from golf to a good sized pool sauna and jacuzzi etc.The rooms are a decent size and lovely and clean as was the whole hotel.We had dinner and breakfast during our stay:the food was buffet style and was varied and delicious.The restaurant has no bar so it's best to get drinks from the bar before yourmeal-we didn't and ended up not getting our drinks till we'd finished our main course.The maître de did give us the drinks free to redress this but it looked like others had the same problem.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you very much for your lovely review. I point for us to look into on the drinks and my apologies for the delay. I’m delighted that you had a great stay overall with us and we hope to see you again soon.
blackpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

I am currently staying here so thought I would write a review. On arrival we went to the executive building to see where we needed to check in. It was in that building the room they provided was nice but wasn't a triple room which we had booked. The reception staff were quick and polite and moved us to the mansion into a gorgeous room with fantastic views. It was room 223. All the staff have been friendly and helpful. We did have tea at the swan pub which is literally 5 min drive. I would recommend this hotel and definitely would be coming back. We as of yet haven't eaten here but the food did look ok. I understand you need to book in advance for meals.

1 Thank loulouBlackpool
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Thank you very much for your great review. Apologies for a slight challenge at the start of your stay but I am pleased we were able to resolve this to your satisfaction. Do try our tasty food next time you are with us as I am sure you will enjoy!
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

This is a large conference hotel; taken as that its not bad. If you come on a cheap weekend deal it's probably really good value; but it's not full of atmosphere and intimate style or romance. Judging by the reviews, I suspect that the quality of the accommodation varies a lot across the site, I stayed in the Mansion Block in a large, clean room that was perfectly fine. Was attending as part of an dinner event and so can't really comment about the restaurant etc.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your review. We do indeed have a fantastic and varied bed-stock within our venue to suit all tastes and budgets; which is just one element that makes Wokefield Park a great and flexible destination for meetings, events, leisure and relaxing breaks away.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

I am just back from my second at this venue and it was great once again.
Reading the comment before mine makes me think they may have stayed here while when we took over which isn't really the hotels fault, it's just unlucky! Or lucky depending on how you look at it :)

As mentioned in other comments it is great there is complimentary coffee & water.
The staff did quite well dealing with the amount of us that there was was descending on the venue for our event.
My only complaint would be my room wasn't available until 6pm!!which I was very surprised by, it wasn't in the main buildings but located in a house within the grounds, the room was small but laid out and presented very well. Walls were a bit thin :) I visited other rooms in main hotel and these were great.
Overall I again enjoyed my stay &
Breakfast was great too .

Thanks :)

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you very much for your great review. I am delighted that you had a great time with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
essex, england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

We were on a 3 day trip and had booked at other DeVere hotels along route from Essex travelling through the south coast, we got them all on special rates not full booking price. This hotel was our last night.
On arrival we found it difficult to find the reception and had a bit of a wild goose chase (with a sat-nav) and the lawn signs are not great at all but the building is extremely beautiful and very large so you know you are in the right place :)
I didnt realise at first that we were'nt staying in the house itself which was a bit disappointing but they had two weddings going on apparently so we were in a twin room in the conference centre end which was perfectly adequate, with tv & wi-fi at no extra cost, (unlike some others i wont mention) The usual comlimentary toiletries and lovely soft white towels plus an extra toilet roll. The beds were lovely and comfortable with crisp fresh white sheets, a large wordrobe & dressing table/desk plus chair and a comfy armchair. Nice view accross the golf course to the front of the hotel with blackout cutains which were of great comfort come the next morning :)
There are complmentary drinks available all day & evening including, herbal/fruit teas, lattes, hot chocolates etc as well as traditional teas & coffess. There is also a "nintendo room" where the children (young & old) can sit and play computor games for entertainment.
We had booked the dinner and breakfast deal and went along to pre-book our dining table for the duration of our stay which proved to be good idea especially for breakfast as it was packed with people the followoing mornning. All our food was lovely, we have no complaints at all in the restaurant. Dinner & breakfast were buffett style & everything was replenished quickly so we never had to wait to long, if at all.
My moan off would be in the bar downstairs which is dark, drab, boring as hell with no atmosphere. It would have been nice to have some music on rather than large tv's with football, especially as it was the only bar we could use, because of the "weddings" in the house there was no other bar we had the use of. This area was used by all, including families.
We tried the spa the next day which was small but perfect. We did not use the swimming pool which again was small for the size of the hotel although we saw many families using it, having lots of fun.
The grounds are lovely for long walks, but really this place is for the golfers. It is their domain without a doubt.
This venue as I said in my title, in my opinion is 3 star but could be improved to 4* quite easily. What makes this place stand out for me are the staff. They are 5* all the way. You could not fault them. Nothing was too much trouble. They were polite, friendly and courteous throughout our stay but there were a few that stood out even more. Jess & Jade were true professionals, totally on top of their game and one in particular that stood out even more (if thats possible) is Louise. This extrodinary young waitress was like a super-hero in that restaurant. She worked, smiled, helped, chatted, organised without a hitch, without a moan and always with a spring in her step, a smile on her face and a freindly chat for all her guests. She even covered the downstairs dining at one point, as the hotel were obviously under staffed and the restaurant staff had to cater & serve for the guests eating in the bar area.If she has'nt had a pay rise yet then she definately deserves one now. De vere would have a huge loss if it were'nt for those employee's mentioned. I hope they reward their staff accordingly. They are worth it!
For the money we paid we would definatley use this venue again.

Room Tip: ask which room and or, which part of the hotel you will be staying in if you prefer the house to th...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for your great review. Some very interesting points for us to review and fabulous praise for some of the team which they were delighted to receive! I am also delighted that you had a great time with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

We went to this hotel on a first appearance as we were meant to be going back in October to a friends event. The experience was bad! They had a dog convention with over 200 dogs yes.........200 dogs staying in the hotel! The service was poor, very bad food quality and all round terrible time.
We were then invited back due to my complaint, you would have thought you would be "wowed" to make up for the first time, again poor service. We were told we can only eat at 9pm, then I moaned and asked if we could go to the other restaurant in the mansions house. After a fuss they said ok first of all were going to charge but then changed their mind. this is not an al a carte menu, three choices of starter, main and desert, The food was good though. the service was ok however there was a big event on next door so they tried to drown out the event by putting on mood music, however kept the door of the restaurant open with noise etc. If you had come for a romantic break I would have been so upset. Silly errors like no soup spoon with soup, no cutlery with second meal and had to ask, but this is down to staff mistakes.
the bars had no staff hardly clearly running the place on shoestring of staff to save costs.
The breakfast had to wait 1 hour with a sign on the door due to NO staff and couldn't clear the tables fast enough. The food was grotesque and would feed 200 dogs it! No apology from manager I.e. "sorry to keep you waiting an hour" This hotel has so much to learn. Firstly customer care skills, where are the basic greetings and smiles and how are you today etc, all the staff look moody and tired and fed up! I work in Customer service environment, and head up service teams, I can tell you that the management need a shake up and either re focus on customer service or get out of the business and go to travel lodge as this is meant to be a quality hotel with a quality experience.
I was meant to be wowed to restore confidence, this has done the opposite and I now will not be returning in October and certainly not be going back again. I have lost all faith in de vere.
Good luck to all that go in October hope you have a great time!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Ian C
Thank you very much for your review. I am very sorry that you have not had a good experience with us on two occasions now. You have certainly highlighted some areas for us to review as a senior team as what you have described is far from our normal, high standards. I am very sorry that you won’t be visiting us again and that you have lost faith in us.

Travellers are raving about these Stratfield Mortimer hotels

The Oakley Court
#2 of 17 in Windsor
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,157 reviews
The Mill House Hotel and Restaurant

Been to De Vere Wokefield Estate? Share your experiences!