“Sadly didn't live up to expectations”

De Vere Wokefield Estate
Amersham, United Kingdom
“Sadly didn't live up to expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Yet again we managed to get a deal at £20 per night.

As you approach this venue via the long driveway you are struck by the grandeur of the building. However once you enter you realise it's all show. Public rooms are barren, dark and dingy. We were seriously unimpressed. We stayed in the main conference centre (to the left of the main building) across from the pitch and putt. As we entered the building we found ourselves in the foyer called "The Street". It was like walking into a shopping mall. It even had a BMW car displayed.(this venue has a BMW training academy on site)

We had an issue in our room with the patio doors in that the door handle was missing and we couldn't open it, therefore we couldn't get any ventilation into the room as there were no windows either. Room was small but had all usual amenities.Bath and shower worked well

Swimming pool not as nice as some of the other venues (Hunton Park) but did include a jacuzzi, sauna and steam room, and a mini gym.that we didn't use

No shortage of energy stations but poorly stocked.Usually stocked up first thing in the morning.

As a bonus for children or adults they do have a Nintendo / Wii area with plenty of handsets

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review here on trip advisor, I am sorry to hear that your encountered issues with your patio door, our reception team would gladly move any guests should they encounter any problems with their bedrooms. Great to hear that you enjoyed the facilities during your stay.
Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
Windsor, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

I arrived thinking that this would be a good stay but was somewhat disappointed by the reality. It started with the check in. I was checked in easily enough, but no information was provided as to basics such as where dinner and breakfast could be had.

As I was also running an event the next day with an arranged set-up time the evening before, I tried to get access to the room to set up as arranged. The receptionist seemed to have no idea about this, and it took 3 goes to get a key to the room to work. I would also have expected to meet someone from conferencing, but they didn't show until the next day.

When I arrived in my room, I was impressed by the size, but not much else. There were no tea or coffee making facilities and, whilst the room was large, there was nothing in it other than a bed and a tiny desk in one corner.

Investigating the food options, I was told only about the bar (I was staying in the Mansion House). There were only 3 people in the bar, but the burger I ordered took nearly half an hour to arrive. At that point I overheard someone else who clearly stayed regularly that where guests could eat could change each day - something I wasn't told on checking in.

Breakfast in the morning was OK, nothing special though. When I was showering/shaving in the morning, it took ages for any hot water to come through - not something I would have expected.

Overall, I may stay there again, but if in the area would probably stay at the Premier Inn down the road.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you for taking to time to post your recent review here following your recent stay here at Wokefield Park. We do take on board all feedback and follow up where necessary with all relevant parties. I am sorry to hear that you felt certain elements of your stay let you down. I do hope that we have the pleasure of you staying with us again in the near future, this way you can see first hand that's the elements mentioned are isolated incidents.
Kind regards

Travellers are raving about these Stratfield Mortimer hotels

Munich, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

we had there a business meeting. Meeting rooms are excellent as well as the restaurant. My room was poor, long distance away through couloirs of fire doors and stairways. Toilet flush wasn't working properly and room was small. This seems to be british standard but compared to international standard, a refurbishment would be strongly advised

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review here on trip advisor. I am sorry to hear that you found certain element of your stay let you down, I do hope that this will not stop you from staying with us here at wokefield in the future.
Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

When I'm overnighting on business I only really care about 3 things - ample parking, good shower, comfy bed. This hotel has the first 2.

Got a great deal on an overnight stay at this corporate centre.

Ground floor is lovely - loads of interesting details, free coffee, really nice bar

Staff are just excellent - friendly, polite, big smiles even at 1130pm when I checked in

Room was a nice size, especially for the price. Tea and coffee facilities were ok though sad about no biccies :-)

Shower was EXCELLENT - power shower!

Bed was the let down - 2 singles pushed together with a sheet over the join. Also weirdly short - I am 5 foot 6 and if I lay straight, my feet hung over the edge! It was just about ok if I lay diagonally (although uncomfortable because of that gap in the middle) but a couple or taller person would have had a very bad night's sleep.

Breakfast was sub-par, but what I've come to expect in big chain hotels - very generic, plates of greasy barely-warm food left out in piles, bad quality sausages, cold plates etc. Not really a problem, it's very typical of this kind of place. Cost at £10.50 was ok too. Staff were the best bit - lovely, friendly and helpful again.

Room Tip: Second floor room was fine
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write your review here on trip advisor. Great to receive the feedback on the facilities and staff here at Wokefield. Sorry to hear that your bed was a zip and link and not a double. I will speak with the team and pass on your feedback to the relevant persons. Our reception team would always happily move guests rooms should they not be completely happy on arrival. I do hope that we will have the pleasure in welcoming you back to Wokefield in the not so distant future.
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

Last minute booking. However this is a hotel that is sub standard compared to other hotels for the same price. There was no tea/coffee in room took 2 phone calls and an hour later for it to arrive. Luke warm water for showers, not acceptable in this day and age for a hotel of this standing. Rips in chair and badly stained. Though the bed was very comfortable. Room service good, though food was average. Receptionists definitely need tidying up. Will not be staying there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for your recent review here on trip advisor. I am sorry to hear that you felt certain elements let you down, we do take all feedback seriously and address and take actions to continually move things forward.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

The outside of the hotel was nice and quite impressive but the room wasn't up to the same standard. Having said that it was nice enough for a last minute stop over.
It was dark and raining heavily when we arrived and it wasn't easy to see at all.
The room had everything you could need and was clean and tidy
I'd go back if it was another heavily reduced rate

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here with us at Wokefield Park.

I'm sorry that you feel your room wasnt up to the standard of the outside of the hotel, we do of course try to keep all of our property looking new and fresh as possible. However, we are glad that you feel that the room provided everything you needed for a comfortable night stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kindest Regards
Fleet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

I went with an open mind, having seen the reviews I wasn't expecting the hotel to be up to much but got a good deal on a last minute room. We were staying in the modern part of the complex rather than the Mansion House and the room was clean and well maintained. The reception staff, bar staff and breakfast staff were all friendly and helpful. The food was very nice, we had breakfast on the terrace overlooking the beautiful grounds. Free tea, coffee and hot chocolate machines, free biscuits and energy drinks in various locations were a nice touch. Drinks from the bar were a bit pricey but that's the only negative I can come up with. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here at Wokefield Park.

We are thrilled that you had a lovely stay and very much look forward to welcoming you back to the property in the near future.

Kindest Regards
The Oakley Court
#2 of 17 in Windsor
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,158 reviews
The Mill House Hotel and Restaurant

Been to De Vere Wokefield Estate? Share your experiences!