“Excellent Venue for Conference - 200+ people”

De Vere Wokefield Estate
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I attended this hotel for a conference and stayed overnight, I found the whole experience excellent.

From the moment I arrived the staff were very friendly, as the conference started early, my luggage was taken and I was told the room would be available at around 2pm, there were over 200 delegates at the conference, so there was a lot of baggage building up, so credit to the staff sorting everything out.

The executive centre is very large and it is capable of handling large groups of people, there are tea/coffee machines all over the place, with complimentary biscuits, you can help yourself to as many hot drinks as you like. There are plenty of toilets around the centre and I found them to be clean. There were several large rooms to hold meeting in over two floors. There was complimentary wifi available throughout the executive centre, it was very fast and reliable.

The conference started and I realised I had left something in my luggage that I needed, I asked at reception if I could get access to my luggage, I was told it had been moved to a holding area and they would call someone to help me find it, I was taken to the holding area, my name tag was checked and I was given access to my case, the staff were very good and so helpful.

I had a double room in the executive centre, the room was very nice, it had all the facilities you could possibly need. There was a large desk if you needed it, there was a TV but I did not have time to check out what channels were available. The room also had tea/coffee making facilities, an iron (and ironing board), a fan, a hairdryer, extra duvets. The only thing missing was a small fridge, also I think that management could provide a small bottle of complimentary water in each room, a small touch but it would be nice to have. The room was clean and tidy, the linen was fresh and very comfortable.

The bathroom had the usual complimentary toiletries, soap, shower gel, etc. There were quite a few towels provided. There was a bath and shower, I used the shower a few times, it was powerful and I found there was hot water 24/7.

The bed was very comfortable, there were 2 pillows, one was soft and the other firm, so I had the choice which was nice. The view from the room was overlooking the golf course, it was very quite and peaceful, I got a good nights sleep.

The banquet hall was in the Mansion House, it was large enough to cope with all the guests, the meal served was 7 out of 10, it could have been better and the service seemed quite disorganised, in future they should just stick to allocating 1 waiter to each table (or a section), we found different people coming over to our table, the person in charge was trying but she seemed a little overwhelmed.

On a more positive note, the breakfast was massive, there was everything you could possibly want, from a range of different cereals, to freshly cooked full English breakfast, there was a range of pastries and everything was really nice. Also the lunch was very nice, again a variety of food, freshly cooked, I did enjoy both of these meals.

There was a spa in the hotel, it included a jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. There was also a large swimming pool and a fully kitted out gym, all of these were included as part of your stay. As the conference took so long, I did not get a chance to test these facilities out, although I did go along to have a look at them.

The grounds around this hotel are vast, there is a large golf course and an outdoor adventure playing area (costs extra). You can stroll around the gardens and it is very romantic and peaceful. I would like to return with my family and really relax next time I visit. If you decide to stay here, then you have to remember this is a 3* hotel, I thought it might deserve a slightly higher rating than this. I found all of the staff I encountered to be very friendly and they were always smiling, I really enjoyed my stay here.

I stayed on 16/05/2014 in room E255 (nice views and very peaceful)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the golf course.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback regarding your recent stay.

We are thrilled that you had an excellent stay and an enjoyable conference. We always strive to ensure that all of our guests whether leisure guests or conference delegates have a great experience.

I will pass your comments onto all of the team.

Kindest Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (2,016)

This place is a dump!
The rooms are dirty, very tired, furniture is old and worn out. Looking at the mansion house from the outside you would think its going to be nice. Dont be fooled its a lovely building spoilt. The mattress on the ned was old and dirty, the carpets & curtains are old. We seen three rooms before we decided it was acceptable. However even then we had to pay to upgrade but still it wasnt as good as it could be.
Lifts feel like they havent been maintained, and dont feel safe so we used the stairs.
Breakfast was nothing more than average, staff poor, food quality - you can tell its all cheap supplies. Bar meals, on the one night they were available were quite good.
Swimming pool small, lockers all broken, showers leave a lot to be desired.
I could go on & on. They care more about weddings and events than hotel stays.
Will never use De-vere again.
One good thing, free hot drinks, at the drinks station, cheap brand though.
O

Room Tip: Mansion house rooms slightly better ones
1  Thank VGMT

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback following your stay.

I am sorry to hear that your stay wasnt what you would expect of a De Vere property. We do operate an ongoing maintenance programme to ensure that all of our facilities stay in great shape. We will of course look at what room you stayed in and pay particular attention to it immediately.

In regards to breakfast I have highlighted your feedback to both my Head Chef and Resaturant manager who are both going to spend some time re-focusing on standards and training of their teams to ensure that this doesnt occur again in the future.

Once again our apologies

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Booked what appeared on the internet to be a lovely spa hotel, only to find we were staying in a conference centre with leisure facilities which seem to have been borrowed from a Council leisure centre and a bar that was modelled on a working men's club. After less than an hour there having seen our room and checked out the facilities, we couldn't face staying any longer and spoke to the on-duty manager. She offered us a room in the Mansion House - that's the nice looking building you see on the internet but which you don't actually get the choice of booking it seems - but on enquiring what the dining facilities were there, were told that there was a restaurant but it was closed because there was a wedding on. So we ended up with a refund. Really not what we were expecting at all. I'd been to Wokefield several times for work events during the day and it was fine for that, but if you're after a peaceful relaxing weekend in nice surroundings, I wouldn't bother.

Room Tip: Ask for the Mansion House - it's apparently much better than the Conference centre.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback following your stay with us.

I am very sorry to hear that your recent experience wasnt what you have recieved before, we do have extensive spa facilities which are located in seperate part of the grounds within the Mansion House, where you can experience full pamper packages as well as our steam room, jacuzzi and sauna.

Apologies that our Mansion House Restaurant wasnt available that evening but our Steam, Bake and Grill Restaurant was available for all of our guests to use

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I was here for a week on business. And can honestly say I couldn't wait to leave.

However, instead of a big rant. i shall just note some good and bad bullet points on this 'Venue'

Good Points:
- Beautiful Surroundings
- The Mansion House is Stunning
- Lots of Parking
- Breakfast was Lovely every day
- Free coffee machines in the foyer

Bad Points:
- Generally Unclean...including the bedroom
- Smelly Toilets in the communal areas
- Grumpy, Unwelcoming Staff
- The large conference room had a leaky roof, and lots of dirty roof tiles
- You could hear the car staff's feet sticking to the floor behind the bar...yuk
- The food (other than Breakfast) was generally quite un appealing

This Hotel/Venue has great potential!! it needs A LOT of TLC, and could do with a spruce up. Would it really be that hard to make the toilets smell less like stale pee??

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the mansion house, apparently hey are better....
1  Thank JRRedfern

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here with us.

Im sorry to hear that your experience wasnt what you were expecting. We do however operate an ongoing maintenance programme throughout our venue to ensure that we keep the venue looking great along with ensuring that the larger maintenace tasks are tackled as soon as possible.

I have also spoken with our housekeeping team in regard to a more vigourous and deatiled checking process of our public area toilets which is already underway.

I hope that this experience doesnt deter you from a future visit to our venue.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Having thought a nice weekend away, we booked the wokfield park for a couple of nights with other friends.After night out ,we came to hotel after midnight .As we were starving for food ,we decided to order room service and phoned to reception .But we were told no room service were available at this time .we asked for anything to eat or drink but declined .I thought it would be better to speak with Duty Manager or night manager rather than arguing with reception ,unfortunately night manager sounded very rude and novice of the customer service with very poor command of english language .We did not expect such service from Devere Hotel.Night staffs must be addressed if devere wants to deliver something good to the customers 24/7.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I can only apologise that you were unable to get any room service delivered to you during the night. I have spoken to my night team and reiterated to them that we do offer a room service menu 24 hours which is a selection of freshly prepared cold items.

I can assure that in future this will not be issue

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed here for one night in May. We had two rooms which were allocated in the management centre rooms 136 and 137. One overlooked the golf course/driving range and the other overlooked the outdoor seating area. Both rooms were adequate for our stay they were plenty big enough for two people. The walls could do with a wash down especially around the radiators and a good clean in the bathrooms. Housekeeping were very nice and even helped us to open the patio door which was quite stiff.

We phoned reception to get some information. We phoned four times and no one would answer and after a while the phone cuts off which was not good especially in an emergency.

The beds were ok for a nights sleep and it wasn't that noisey. The shower was very tempermental in both rooms and constantly changed temperature.

The swimming pool was a good size although there was a lane blocked off for lessons and the area was quite clean.

Breakfast was good, plenty of choice and a lovely cooked breakfast which went down well. The croissants were huge and a good selection of pastries, fruit and cereal etc. Service was good although we did wait ages for our tea to arrive but the restaurant staff did work hard as they were busy being a Sunday morning.

We had a good time and would go back if in the area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I am glad to hear that your experience was better than it had been previously as we always strive to get better using the feedback we recieve.

I have spoken to my Reception Manager in regard to the lack of being able to reach reception and we are in the process of changing our syste around that.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed one night for conference one social. Ideal for conference as facilities acceptable. Allocated room in conference part of hotel. Rooms and corridors tired and directions to rooms terrible. On leaving room first time had to use fire exit as could not find the route to reception. Staff in bar rude and people told they should go to bed as the staff have to be back in the restaurant at 6am! Woken at 5.45am by golfers arriving to start playing golf so try to avoid rooms overlooking car park or the golf course. Evening gala dinner, food not gala status and not even good pub grub. At coffee they ran out of cups and 30 minutes from first cup to arrive at our table to last cup to arrive and only 8 at table. They could have gone to Reading and bought new crockery quicker. did not get better at breakfast as took 20 minutes to supply coffee!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback surrounding your recnt stay.

Apologies that it was not what you had expected. We do operate an ongoing maintenace programme throughout the year and try to endeavour to make all of our facilities looking in great shape and we are also in the process of making our signage around the venue better.

I have spoken to the Bars Manager in regard to the staffing from your stay and those members of staff have already been dealt with in the manner we believed was required.

Apologies that you were woken early by our early bird golfers this is somewhat of a rarity and we will be doing all we can to ensure they keep noise to a minimum.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratfield Mortimer
Premier Inn Reading South (Grazeley Green)
Travelodge Reading M4 Westbound
#9 of 31 in Reading
Highfield Park
Highfield Park
#1 of 1 in Heckfield

Been to De Vere Wokefield Estate? Share your experiences!