“Worst service I have ever experienced in a hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of De Vere Wokefield Estate

De Vere Wokefield Estate
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Worst service I have ever experienced in a hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel as we were attending a wedding in the mention house. Although the rooms were ok the service was appalling and there was a huge lack of staff. We arrived to check in at 2 and were given a room down a load of stairs which was impossible with a pushchair and no help with our baggage. When I complained it took the hotel 2 hours to get us an easy access room and even then our baggage had not been brought up and travel cot was not ready so for 2 hours I couldn't settle my 4 month old baby for a nap. The facilities were poor too, changing rooms for the pool were like a nice box and the menu for dinner included just 4 meal options.

I have stayed at a devere before and thoroughly enjoyed it but this hotel was terrible and every second customer seemed to be complaining at reception, at the bar etc.

There is a copthorne hotel and a holiday inn around the corner which may be a better bet!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sabrina S
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review here on trip advisor, we value all feedback here at Wokefield and share all feedback with our teams. I am sorry to read that your experienced difficulties with your check in and it appears to of taken a longer time than normal to rectify the situation.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed here for one night in the wellington lodge
we had dinner which was lovely but the room was a shambles it looked like it hadn't been cleaned for some time as a layer of dust was on the carpet !!! we couldn't let our little girl crawl around on the floor.
when we arrived the room had skylight windows which were open but we had no way of closing them so phoned reception as we had to get a cot for the room even though we had requested one , we were told that we would have to wait for the next shift to start before anything could be done. when the cot was delivered we ask again about the skylight to which the lady said "oh there should be a stick" but nothing ever happened in the end i had to stand on a chair and stretch up and close them myself .
we had two lights that were broken, One in a cupboard and one of the bedside lights when we told reception they said they would let housekeeping know but we think they already knew as it had gaffa tape wrapped around it
other than that it was a nice

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback here on trip advisor, I am sorry to hear that you encountered these issues during your recent stay here at Wokefield. Great to hear that you had a pleasant dining experience, but again sorry to hear the you encountered issues with the two light's and sky light. I do hope that this will not put you off returning again in the near future.
Kind Regards

Travellers are raving about these Stratfield Mortimer hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Terrible! Absolute toilet! The bar got the order for food wrong twice. Then when it came the food was uncooked and 50 mins later. Ok fine, it happens. Punchline - family room was a double bed compared to a double room which was bigger - well played management! Staying in the mansion block and asked for a bottle of water and was told i needed to go to another building for that - glad i paid a premium for non service. Asked for a later than usual check out and was quoted a price greater than another nights stay - oo can it get worse? Maybe but would be an achievement.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Satvir D
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback surrounding your recent stay here at Wokefield Park.

I can only sincerely apologise for the experience that you have recieved, all of our feedback wether positive or negative is discussed in great detail at our management meetings and this type of feedback is certainly not the type of experience that we pride ourselves upon.

Rest assured that this will be dealt with, with the severity it requires.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I attended this hotel for a conference and stayed overnight, I found the whole experience excellent.

From the moment I arrived the staff were very friendly, as the conference started early, my luggage was taken and I was told the room would be available at around 2pm, there were over 200 delegates at the conference, so there was a lot of baggage building up, so credit to the staff sorting everything out.

The executive centre is very large and it is capable of handling large groups of people, there are tea/coffee machines all over the place, with complimentary biscuits, you can help yourself to as many hot drinks as you like. There are plenty of toilets around the centre and I found them to be clean. There were several large rooms to hold meeting in over two floors. There was complimentary wifi available throughout the executive centre, it was very fast and reliable.

The conference started and I realised I had left something in my luggage that I needed, I asked at reception if I could get access to my luggage, I was told it had been moved to a holding area and they would call someone to help me find it, I was taken to the holding area, my name tag was checked and I was given access to my case, the staff were very good and so helpful.

I had a double room in the executive centre, the room was very nice, it had all the facilities you could possibly need. There was a large desk if you needed it, there was a TV but I did not have time to check out what channels were available. The room also had tea/coffee making facilities, an iron (and ironing board), a fan, a hairdryer, extra duvets. The only thing missing was a small fridge, also I think that management could provide a small bottle of complimentary water in each room, a small touch but it would be nice to have. The room was clean and tidy, the linen was fresh and very comfortable.

The bathroom had the usual complimentary toiletries, soap, shower gel, etc. There were quite a few towels provided. There was a bath and shower, I used the shower a few times, it was powerful and I found there was hot water 24/7.

The bed was very comfortable, there were 2 pillows, one was soft and the other firm, so I had the choice which was nice. The view from the room was overlooking the golf course, it was very quite and peaceful, I got a good nights sleep.

The banquet hall was in the Mansion House, it was large enough to cope with all the guests, the meal served was 7 out of 10, it could have been better and the service seemed quite disorganised, in future they should just stick to allocating 1 waiter to each table (or a section), we found different people coming over to our table, the person in charge was trying but she seemed a little overwhelmed.

On a more positive note, the breakfast was massive, there was everything you could possibly want, from a range of different cereals, to freshly cooked full English breakfast, there was a range of pastries and everything was really nice. Also the lunch was very nice, again a variety of food, freshly cooked, I did enjoy both of these meals.

There was a spa in the hotel, it included a jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. There was also a large swimming pool and a fully kitted out gym, all of these were included as part of your stay. As the conference took so long, I did not get a chance to test these facilities out, although I did go along to have a look at them.

The grounds around this hotel are vast, there is a large golf course and an outdoor adventure playing area (costs extra). You can stroll around the gardens and it is very romantic and peaceful. I would like to return with my family and really relax next time I visit. If you decide to stay here, then you have to remember this is a 3* hotel, I thought it might deserve a slightly higher rating than this. I found all of the staff I encountered to be very friendly and they were always smiling, I really enjoyed my stay here.

I stayed on 16/05/2014 in room E255 (nice views and very peaceful)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the golf course.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback regarding your recent stay.

We are thrilled that you had an excellent stay and an enjoyable conference. We always strive to ensure that all of our guests whether leisure guests or conference delegates have a great experience.

I will pass your comments onto all of the team.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

This place is a dump!
The rooms are dirty, very tired, furniture is old and worn out. Looking at the mansion house from the outside you would think its going to be nice. Dont be fooled its a lovely building spoilt. The mattress on the ned was old and dirty, the carpets & curtains are old. We seen three rooms before we decided it was acceptable. However even then we had to pay to upgrade but still it wasnt as good as it could be.
Lifts feel like they havent been maintained, and dont feel safe so we used the stairs.
Breakfast was nothing more than average, staff poor, food quality - you can tell its all cheap supplies. Bar meals, on the one night they were available were quite good.
Swimming pool small, lockers all broken, showers leave a lot to be desired.
I could go on & on. They care more about weddings and events than hotel stays.
Will never use De-vere again.
One good thing, free hot drinks, at the drinks station, cheap brand though.
O

Room Tip: Mansion house rooms slightly better ones
1 Thank VGMT
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback following your stay.

I am sorry to hear that your stay wasnt what you would expect of a De Vere property. We do operate an ongoing maintenance programme to ensure that all of our facilities stay in great shape. We will of course look at what room you stayed in and pay particular attention to it immediately.

In regards to breakfast I have highlighted your feedback to both my Head Chef and Resaturant manager who are both going to spend some time re-focusing on standards and training of their teams to ensure that this doesnt occur again in the future.

Once again our apologies

Crookham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Booked what appeared on the internet to be a lovely spa hotel, only to find we were staying in a conference centre with leisure facilities which seem to have been borrowed from a Council leisure centre and a bar that was modelled on a working men's club. After less than an hour there having seen our room and checked out the facilities, we couldn't face staying any longer and spoke to the on-duty manager. She offered us a room in the Mansion House - that's the nice looking building you see on the internet but which you don't actually get the choice of booking it seems - but on enquiring what the dining facilities were there, were told that there was a restaurant but it was closed because there was a wedding on. So we ended up with a refund. Really not what we were expecting at all. I'd been to Wokefield several times for work events during the day and it was fine for that, but if you're after a peaceful relaxing weekend in nice surroundings, I wouldn't bother.

Room Tip: Ask for the Mansion House - it's apparently much better than the Conference centre.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback following your stay with us.

I am very sorry to hear that your recent experience wasnt what you have recieved before, we do have extensive spa facilities which are located in seperate part of the grounds within the Mansion House, where you can experience full pamper packages as well as our steam room, jacuzzi and sauna.

Apologies that our Mansion House Restaurant wasnt available that evening but our Steam, Bake and Grill Restaurant was available for all of our guests to use

Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I was here for a week on business. And can honestly say I couldn't wait to leave.

However, instead of a big rant. i shall just note some good and bad bullet points on this 'Venue'

Good Points:
- Beautiful Surroundings
- The Mansion House is Stunning
- Lots of Parking
- Breakfast was Lovely every day
- Free coffee machines in the foyer

Bad Points:
- Generally Unclean...including the bedroom
- Smelly Toilets in the communal areas
- Grumpy, Unwelcoming Staff
- The large conference room had a leaky roof, and lots of dirty roof tiles
- You could hear the car staff's feet sticking to the floor behind the bar...yuk
- The food (other than Breakfast) was generally quite un appealing

This Hotel/Venue has great potential!! it needs A LOT of TLC, and could do with a spruce up. Would it really be that hard to make the toilets smell less like stale pee??

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the mansion house, apparently hey are better....
1 Thank JRRedfern
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here with us.

Im sorry to hear that your experience wasnt what you were expecting. We do however operate an ongoing maintenance programme throughout our venue to ensure that we keep the venue looking great along with ensuring that the larger maintenace tasks are tackled as soon as possible.

I have also spoken with our housekeeping team in regard to a more vigourous and deatiled checking process of our public area toilets which is already underway.

I hope that this experience doesnt deter you from a future visit to our venue.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratfield Mortimer
Premier Inn Reading South Hotel
The Mill House Hotel and Restaurant
Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading
BEST WESTERN Reading Calcot Hotel

Been to De Vere Wokefield Estate? Share your experiences!