“De Vere from Hell”

De Vere Wokefield Estate
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We had booked 2 rooms in the executive centre as me,my wife, mum and dad were attending a wedding reception the following morning at the mansion house. It took us over 15 mins to check in as there was 2 other parties in front of us. Only one lady manning the reception desk who was pre occupied on the phone. Went into the back room to call someone out which took the 2nd receptionist a further 5 minutes to come out and help with the queue of customers which started to form. When we finally managed to check in we all went into our rooms. I immediatley noticed that i could not put TV on so i called reception. This once again took the receptionist 5 mins to answer and when she did she advised me she would get someone to come and have a look. My wife had alot of valuable jewellery which she was going to wear the following day and when she went to put it in the safe this was not working. Once again i called reception waited...waited and the same receptionist picked up. I advised her that the safe was not working and was once again told that the person that would come to check our TV out will also have a look at the safe. I then went into my mum and dad's room and to my surprise they had the same issues but ontop the room was dusty like we were staying somewhere near the Sahara Desert. This time i went straight to reception to complain. I was told that the maintenance person will be round but regarding the safe issue there is nothing they could do as it was the weekend. My Mrs was advised that if she needs to put her jewellery somewhere safe then she can bring it to reception and they would put it all in the hotel safe behind the reception desk which she did. I asked to speak to the manager as i was totally cheesed off by now. The manager came and met me in the bar area and asked what were my concerns which i gave a very detailed summary. He kindly offered to buy us all a round for the inconvenience and arranged for all of us to be moved across to the Mansion House. He also advised us that when we left the rooms in the executive centre just go to reception and they will arrange for someone to take us up in the golf buggies or take our luggage. When we did follow this up and went to reception the staff had changed and now there were these 2 male receptionist who were rude as they came. I did not have the patience to argue with them so dragged my luggage across. When i woke up the next morning i had a back ache as the bed was very hard. Not a happy experience and will defo not be staying here again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank G-Jhand
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

I am sorry to read that you feel the hotel did not live up to your full expectations on this occasion, I have passed your comments to the relevant parties to ensure that any issues you encountered are dealt with in the correct manner. I am sorry to read you felt the need to move building and you encountered issues with your bedroom safe.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have stayed at this hotel 9 times for business and pleasure. I regularly take the family away for weekend's here just to get away and enjoy the peace and tranquility. The staff are always polite and professional, on the very rare occasions of problems the staff deal with it very well. I have stayed at many hotels around the world, the devere group among the best and wokefield park is one of there best.

• Stayed: March 2014

Thank you for your great review here on trip advisor.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Had booked for business for two nights last week. On arriving the grounds look fabulous but as you drive in through the golf course your left puzzled by where you actually go to find the hotel??
There are signs to be fair but they're limited in the information with the names of the buildings such as "Clubhouse" "Mansion House" "BMW Building" All meaningless and none say Hotel Reception??I ended up, at a guess, at one and in a function room looking for the reception and a member of staff sent me to the next building where they booked me in to tell me return to the "Executive Building"? Was that good? I eventually found this three building away and after queuing again, was directed to my room past this cavernous space called the "Street" which was a bit like walking through a factory floor. It seemed to be designed to display cars. The place is HUGE and the room was miles away but to be fair was reasonably comfortable apart from the poor drinks facilities.
The restaurant was ok but very much like a canteen and was serve yourself all courses. Only a few choices. I decided to eat in the bar which, bizarrely, was waiter service? Service at the bar was surly as was the waiter who delivered both my starter and main course at the same time. When I asked if this was usual, he just shrugged and said "Is it what you ordered though?" I was that hungry by then I couldn't be bothered arguing. When I finished after sitting through listening to 15 drunken golfers singing songs they couldn't remember the words to at the top of their voice I beat a hasty retreat to the reception where I revised my booking to just the one night. Thought the food was ok until I got to my room and required umpteen visits to the loo for several hrs.
Never again. Bad food, indifferent staff who are probably on minimum wages hence the attitude.
Aviod unless on a golfing trip and even then???

Room Tip: Check room locations as some are miles away from reception
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write your review here on trip advisor. I am sorry to read that you feel your stay to not meet your expectations. The team here at Wokefield would always deal with any customer concerns if they are brought to the teams attention. I once again apologies that you felt let down on this occasion.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel as we were attending a wedding in the mention house. Although the rooms were ok the service was appalling and there was a huge lack of staff. We arrived to check in at 2 and were given a room down a load of stairs which was impossible with a pushchair and no help with our baggage. When I complained it took the hotel 2 hours to get us an easy access room and even then our baggage had not been brought up and travel cot was not ready so for 2 hours I couldn't settle my 4 month old baby for a nap. The facilities were poor too, changing rooms for the pool were like a nice box and the menu for dinner included just 4 meal options.

I have stayed at a devere before and thoroughly enjoyed it but this hotel was terrible and every second customer seemed to be complaining at reception, at the bar etc.

There is a copthorne hotel and a holiday inn around the corner which may be a better bet!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sabrina S
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review here on trip advisor, we value all feedback here at Wokefield and share all feedback with our teams. I am sorry to read that your experienced difficulties with your check in and it appears to of taken a longer time than normal to rectify the situation.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed here for one night in the wellington lodge
we had dinner which was lovely but the room was a shambles it looked like it hadn't been cleaned for some time as a layer of dust was on the carpet !!! we couldn't let our little girl crawl around on the floor.
when we arrived the room had skylight windows which were open but we had no way of closing them so phoned reception as we had to get a cot for the room even though we had requested one , we were told that we would have to wait for the next shift to start before anything could be done. when the cot was delivered we ask again about the skylight to which the lady said "oh there should be a stick" but nothing ever happened in the end i had to stand on a chair and stretch up and close them myself .
we had two lights that were broken, One in a cupboard and one of the bedside lights when we told reception they said they would let housekeeping know but we think they already knew as it had gaffa tape wrapped around it
other than that it was a nice

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback here on trip advisor, I am sorry to hear that you encountered these issues during your recent stay here at Wokefield. Great to hear that you had a pleasant dining experience, but again sorry to hear the you encountered issues with the two light's and sky light. I do hope that this will not put you off returning again in the near future.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Terrible! Absolute toilet! The bar got the order for food wrong twice. Then when it came the food was uncooked and 50 mins later. Ok fine, it happens. Punchline - family room was a double bed compared to a double room which was bigger - well played management! Staying in the mansion block and asked for a bottle of water and was told i needed to go to another building for that - glad i paid a premium for non service. Asked for a later than usual check out and was quoted a price greater than another nights stay - oo can it get worse? Maybe but would be an achievement.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Satvir D
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback surrounding your recent stay here at Wokefield Park.

I can only sincerely apologise for the experience that you have recieved, all of our feedback wether positive or negative is discussed in great detail at our management meetings and this type of feedback is certainly not the type of experience that we pride ourselves upon.

Rest assured that this will be dealt with, with the severity it requires.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I attended this hotel for a conference and stayed overnight, I found the whole experience excellent.

From the moment I arrived the staff were very friendly, as the conference started early, my luggage was taken and I was told the room would be available at around 2pm, there were over 200 delegates at the conference, so there was a lot of baggage building up, so credit to the staff sorting everything out.

The executive centre is very large and it is capable of handling large groups of people, there are tea/coffee machines all over the place, with complimentary biscuits, you can help yourself to as many hot drinks as you like. There are plenty of toilets around the centre and I found them to be clean. There were several large rooms to hold meeting in over two floors. There was complimentary wifi available throughout the executive centre, it was very fast and reliable.

The conference started and I realised I had left something in my luggage that I needed, I asked at reception if I could get access to my luggage, I was told it had been moved to a holding area and they would call someone to help me find it, I was taken to the holding area, my name tag was checked and I was given access to my case, the staff were very good and so helpful.

I had a double room in the executive centre, the room was very nice, it had all the facilities you could possibly need. There was a large desk if you needed it, there was a TV but I did not have time to check out what channels were available. The room also had tea/coffee making facilities, an iron (and ironing board), a fan, a hairdryer, extra duvets. The only thing missing was a small fridge, also I think that management could provide a small bottle of complimentary water in each room, a small touch but it would be nice to have. The room was clean and tidy, the linen was fresh and very comfortable.

The bathroom had the usual complimentary toiletries, soap, shower gel, etc. There were quite a few towels provided. There was a bath and shower, I used the shower a few times, it was powerful and I found there was hot water 24/7.

The bed was very comfortable, there were 2 pillows, one was soft and the other firm, so I had the choice which was nice. The view from the room was overlooking the golf course, it was very quite and peaceful, I got a good nights sleep.

The banquet hall was in the Mansion House, it was large enough to cope with all the guests, the meal served was 7 out of 10, it could have been better and the service seemed quite disorganised, in future they should just stick to allocating 1 waiter to each table (or a section), we found different people coming over to our table, the person in charge was trying but she seemed a little overwhelmed.

On a more positive note, the breakfast was massive, there was everything you could possibly want, from a range of different cereals, to freshly cooked full English breakfast, there was a range of pastries and everything was really nice. Also the lunch was very nice, again a variety of food, freshly cooked, I did enjoy both of these meals.

There was a spa in the hotel, it included a jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. There was also a large swimming pool and a fully kitted out gym, all of these were included as part of your stay. As the conference took so long, I did not get a chance to test these facilities out, although I did go along to have a look at them.

The grounds around this hotel are vast, there is a large golf course and an outdoor adventure playing area (costs extra). You can stroll around the gardens and it is very romantic and peaceful. I would like to return with my family and really relax next time I visit. If you decide to stay here, then you have to remember this is a 3* hotel, I thought it might deserve a slightly higher rating than this. I found all of the staff I encountered to be very friendly and they were always smiling, I really enjoyed my stay here.

I stayed on 16/05/2014 in room E255 (nice views and very peaceful)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the golf course.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback regarding your recent stay.

We are thrilled that you had an excellent stay and an enjoyable conference. We always strive to ensure that all of our guests whether leisure guests or conference delegates have a great experience.

I will pass your comments onto all of the team.

Kindest Regards

Tylney Hall
#1 of 1 in Rotherwick
The Mill House Hotel and Restaurant
Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11

Been to De Vere Wokefield Estate? Share your experiences!