“Filthy”

De Vere Wokefield Estate
Reading, United Kingdom
“Filthy”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Accommodation is below average, swimming pool facilities are a disgrace, serious black mould, filthy and void of any products. Room service leftovers in corridors for the entire 24hours. Food is also below average, restaurant service is on par with a Beefeater. Staff are in general rather rude and fed up. The view from the bar is of a skip ladened with old mattresses and the sports bar refused to show the Wimbledon final.
In a nutshell - yeuch. DON'T GO.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Clare R
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
I am sorry to read your feedback provided here on trip advisor. We did have a skip on site which has since been removed. Corridor checks are carried out continuously through out the day but our team to keep any trays to a minimum. I am sorry if you felt let down on this occasion.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was my first experience in England and De Vere Venues hotel is AMAZING. The staff, the rooms, the overall experience was beautiful. Food was amazing and lots to do within the actual grounds. It was in the countryside so you have to have a vehicle to get around. Shopping mall is about 20 mins away. Zip lining, golf, soccer fields, are all on site. The mansion house is beautiful, however we said on the executive side (newer part). 5 stars hands down. You won't regret staying here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Picky O
Thank you for your recent review here on trip advisor. Great to read.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Booked 2 rooms last minute. Looked very impressive on website. Still looked very impressive on the long approach road through the golf course. Tried to check in at what appeared to be reception but was directed elsewhere and told we were staying in 'far better rooms'. Check in was quick but up front payment was required. I am a great believer that when you have to pay in advance you are very likely to end up disappointed. I was. Our two rooms were described as 'superior' but one was half the size of the other. Too late in the day to worry, a trip to the bar seemed more tempting than a trip back to reception. Sadly, there was no bar. A wedding party had taken over all the facilities, even to the point of employing their own barman who had an 'A' level in being surly but had failed his English for bar staff exam. Eventually directed to a most uninspiring and over priced bar in the other building. two points here. 1) no mention of private party when checking in and paying up front, 2) something as simple as a sign to say 'private wedding party' would have prevented us from looking like we were trying to scrounge a drink off the brides father. Boris the barman: 'guests only', us:'we are guests'. Boris: 'nyet, guests only', us: 'w are guests', Boris: 'nyet, guests of Indian wedding people'. us: 'Ok, where is the bar we can use? Boris: 'I don't know'. You get the picture! Retired for the night to a stiflingly hot room. AC at this hotel is a fan, the type that costs 15 quid at Argos. The high point of the stay was breakfast which was actually very good. However, we were in a hurry and down for opening time, so the food ought to be fresh, and it was. Worryingly, for those who were to eat later as many do on a Sunday, was the quantity prepared for the non-existent guests. I bet it wasn't very appetising for the later risers. Incidentally, the two ladies on duty clearly had been to the same charm school as Boris, particularly the one tasked with 'meeting and greeting'. As for the people hoovering up from the wedding party, one assumes they were still on their way. Toilet cleaners had turned up, but clearly didn't quite understand the cleaning bit, since the gents smelled little better than an open sewer. To sum up. A very average stuffy room with some inexplicable gunge growing out of one of the walls. A second room, half the size, without gunge but ample bathroom mould. A hole the size of a dustbin lid in the corridor carpet. Abandoned room service dirty dishes in the corridors. Overpriced, even at 'discounted' Laterooms price. In closing, I raised the matter of the smaller room at check-out but this was all my fault. I had booked one superior and one standard room. What? At the same price? I'm full of tricks like that. Luckily I had the booking print out with me that clearly stated two superior rooms. A refund of £25 was offered which I argued up to £30 and that was that. Receptionist who I have to say was very pleasant and courteous did say she pass on my comments ref. toilets, unhoovered carpets etc. to her manager which since he was clearly hiding behind the door of the adjoining office seemed unnecessary. My advice, give this place a miss.

Room Tip: Book the Premier Inn
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Graham E
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback here on trip advisor, I am sorry to hear that you encountered difficulties whilst staying here at Wokefield. I thank you for your feedback which i will share with my team and ensure that the correct measures are implemented. Please accept our apologies that you encountered these difficulties in the first instance.

Travellers are raving about these Stratfield Mortimer hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Just back from our annual golf trip. The hotel and course looked great on arrival however our first interaction with the staff was worrying. We went straight to the bar for a drink before we got ready for golf and were met with a bar with nobody serving. There was one lad pottering around putting stuff on tables, I asked if he was serving and he huffed and puffed and made his way to the bar. We tried to make light of the situation but this angered him further. Rude would be an understatement. We enjoyed our first round of golf and fortunately as we arrived at the halfway house for refreshment on day one (around 1.30pm) it was just opening, I assume previous golfers weren't so happy. We then checked in after golf and found the rooms to be pleasant but very very hot. Some of our groups had fans in their rooms, some did not. There were lots of trays outside peoples rooms with what I assume was last nights room service left for hours without being collected, The buffet style meal was great, lots of choice. Although at breakfast there were issues with the toast machine and also no glasses by the juice. We stood being ignored for around 5 minutes until noticing a stash of glasses waiting to be put out and helped ourselves, Evening two in the bar I met a member of staff who made the guy we met on arrival look like employee of the year. She was busy chatting with her colleague behind the bar and when asked if she was serving by the gent next to us...well if looks could kill he'd be a gonner. Like us on day one he tried to make a joke of it and this caused more looks of disgust. We then received the same treatment. I asked for a bottle of Peroni, She slammed two in front of me. I explained that I only asked for one and she huffed and puffed and said well you may as well have both as the other one will only be wasted now (like it was my fault!!!). We arrived at the halfway house whilst playing our third round of looking forward to a bacon and sausage roll only to be told there were no rolls. After the on going poor service levels I lost it a bit and asked what the issue was. He said they hadn't been bought over by the hotel staff yet (approx 100 yards away!!!!!) This was at 1.30 in the afternoon. I stormed out saying it was the last time we would come here. He then told my mates if I wasn't so rude he would have gone and got one for me!!!!!! He did then go and get the rolls and I explained the reason why I was so angry and the levels of service we had received so far. He went on to say we're not the first to say this and that the staff are a nightmare!!!!! A real shame as the hotel is nice, the facilities are great, the golf was decent and for what we paid it was great. But we were made to feel unwelcome and like we were causing the staff an inconvenience by asked for them to do what they are being paid for. Oh and finally - Can't believe I forgot this...there was an indian wedding going on whilst we were playing golf on day 2 at the manor house part of the hotel which overlooks the course (There was also a Wokefield Park club championship be played) and we had 4 hours of very very loud indian music. Now I don't wish to be perceived as racist but it is a very distinct sound and one which I guess would appeal more to Indian people. Trying to play golf with this going on (the main reason for our trip) was very very off putting. The members playing in their club comp were also appalled.

Room Tip: Make sure there is at least a fan in your room if staying in the summer and don't bring any nigh...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Saint-Gaz
Thank you for taking the time to provide your review here on trip advisor. I am sorry to read that you encountered difficulties whilst enjoying your golf break here at Wokefield. We do take all feedback on board and ensure that corrective measures are put in place to avoid repeats. I will be feeding back to my team and addressing accordingly. Please accept my apologies that you encountered these difficulties in the first instance.
Droitwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Looks great driving in but that's where it stops.
Reception staff are slow and rude.
Booked a double room and was given a room with 2 single beds with a sheet draped over & one if the beds was broken.
They changed my room upon request but the next room although having a double bed was dirty. The bath had hairs in it and next to the bed there were toenail clippings on the carpet. Couldn't see through the window as the double glazing was blown and frosted over.
Forget eating there, the staff in the bar were rude and slow. I ordered a steak which was very expensive. I was over cooked and full of fat, the twice cooked chips were more like oven chips & when I complained the girl behind the bar said "it's not my fault I didn't cook it" !!!
£100 for the night to be told that breakfast wasn't included!!
The golf is expensive £25 for hotel guests and the course is not very good with terrible greens. There are better local council courses.
Don't bother going if you want value for money, customer service or a good round of golf or phone signal.
Only good thing is the wifi and parking is free.
I will not return and my advice to anyone reading this is not to go !!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Charles H
Thank you for taking the time to provide your review here on trip advisor. I am sorry to hear that you encountered issues whilst staying here at the Venue. I will be sharing your feedback with the team and ensure all staff are fully aware of what procedures they need to follow if any issues are encountered.
Market Drayton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

this is a lovely hotel in a good location but looking tired.

We managed to pick up one of the De Vere Hotel deals so cannot complaint about the price we paid however these are normally expensive rooms and the cleanliness did not live up to expectations.

Room E125 was a nice room on the ground floor with a door leading onto the lawn. However there was excrement running down the outside of the toilet bowel and the radiator was covered in dirty stains. We spoke to the Manager who was very helpful and we were moved to room E318.

This was a fabulous room with balcony overlooking the golf course. However this also had many things that were dirty. The toilet seat lid on the outside, light switches, radiator, outside chair and the windows looked like they hadn't been cleaned for weeks inside or out..

My husband has immunity problems and this was unacceptable so we called the Manager to look at the room herself. She agreed that most of the things I pointed out were not acceptable. We didn't want to move again so settled for the room to be cleaned whilst we went out. It was done but even then things like the light switches were not cleaned properly.

Most of the corridors hard dirty or scuffed walls and stains on the carpets. The door to the dining room was dirty on both sides. We were given a complimentary breakfast and there noticed that there were no tongs for the bread, some of the plates had small egg stains and there was a rasher of bacon on the floor in front of the buffet and it was still there when we left.

We have stayed in numerous De Vere Hotels and this was by far the worse for cleanliness.

However it did have a lovely spa area in the mansion and a nice swimming pool and gym, Unless we heard it had been thoroughly cleaned we would not return. It appears there are either not enough cleaning staff, staff are not taught how to clean or given enough time to do a proper job.

Before writing this report I attempted to contact the company for a response but my letter was just diverted to The Manger who I had already spoken to.

Room Tip: Rooms downstairs on the front would have a nice patio door leading to the lawn whilst E318 was outst...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for providing your feedback, I do believe this has now been addressed with our front office manager.
Hadleigh, Essex
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I booked the hotel last minute for a weekend with family. The property looked fantastic but sadly the reality was much different.

The room was generally dirty with dust on most surfaces, mould on the net curtaining by the French doors, tired decorating and worn/threadbare furnishings. Things didn't improve in the main bar with dust on the ebony-coloured window shuttering and what can only be described as just about the worst meal my wife and I have ever been served anywhere. To give the waiter his due, our comments resulted in an offer of a complimentary drink but that was hardly good enough!

The hotel charges top money for rooms but fail miserably to provide facilities to match.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Shaz-and-Baz
Thank you for taking the time to provide your review on your recent stay here at Wokefield, I am sorry to read that you felt your room did not meet your expectations on this occasion, we do have a rolling maintenance programme in place. Our reception team would always provide another room should a guest request a move. Again please accept our apologies that you felt certain elements let us down on this occasion.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratfield Mortimer
Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11
Hilton Bracknell
Hilton Bracknell
#5 of 7 in Bracknell

Been to De Vere Wokefield Estate? Share your experiences!