“Had the potential to ruin my Big Day! Off-site brides beware!!”

De Vere Wokefield Estate
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Although this matter has been resolved and the central De Vere Sales Management team have dealt with the problems in a good fashion I still feel it necessary to view my opinions and experience at this hotel.

I chose Wokefield Park as my pre-wedding day hotel for the beautiful grounds, proximity to my wedding location and the ample amount of bedrooms available. It was to be a place to enjoy my last day as a Miss, be with family and friends and enjoy a relaxing spa treatment…How wrong I was!

My sister, my 7yr old niece and I arrived at 14:00pm on the Friday 8th August. It was pouring down with rain and we had a packed car full of wedding party dresses and decorations as we drove up to the main reception. We checked in at the desk and I paid for the all 3 rooms up front for my bridesmaids. Between the 3 us (including a 7yr old) we unpacked the car in 4 trips whilst kindly being watched by reception staff laughing and commenting on how much rain we had that day and “oh watch that dress”. No offer of help or someone to help open doors etc. We arrived at my suite and to be fair it was rather lovely and looked new and comfortable. We had asked in advance for an extra bed for the little one, however this was just the beginning of my long 48hr nightmare experience at Wokefield Park hotel. Instead of the bed we had a cot. I called reception to be told “are you sure?” to which I confirmed. We also arrived to some rather lovely looking flowers, my sister assuming they were for me ran over to collect these from the table only to be greeted with “Dear Mrs ….” reading it aloud a few times and deciding they couldn’t have misspelled my I again called reception to be greeted with laughing (although quite funny and obviously a florist error) she then asked me if I was sure.. again and perhaps I should read the card attached. I did so feeling quite guilty “Happy 6 year anniversary darling” mmm slightly premature given my wedding day was the following day. I was told the housekeeping manger would collect them, which she did with a quiet “I don’t see why this is my problem” remark. Staying positive, I smiled handed them over and went for my spa treatment that I actually enjoyed. The coincidence was as I walked into the spa room I noticed some lovely flowers on the side and said oh I received some like this but sadly not for me “oh they were my flowers from my husband”. Oh great I smiled what a nice surprise.

Lunch – Told to go to the bar area for a snack. When we arrived we walked straight into someone else’s wedding. Uninformed, we embarrassingly walked away. Walked over to the conference centre to the ‘Steak and Bake’ restaurant.. well luke warm buffet place!! Arrived at 14:30pm to be told “oh we’re closing now please go to the bar” explaining to a young waiter that this wasn’t possible he allowed us 10mins to eat the leftovers from that lunchtimes rush. Taken to a dirty table, as none were made up nor had cutlery, I had some cold pasta, my sister the same and my niece a bread roll. Charged £30 for the pleasure!! Oh, the bread roll was free.

After the treatment I strolled back to my room crossing paths with one of my frustrated looking bridesmaids with no time to talk as due at the spa I carried on to my room to be greeted by a furious sister. 2 bridesmaids had arrived earlier and checked in, they were asked to give a pre auth on a credit card for any extras and then told which room they would be in. Having planned this off-site wedding for 18months, multiple emails with the sales team, phones call, visits to the venue and then booking the rooms well in advance - my bridesmaids were actually in a different part of the hotel on a different floor. I stressed they needed to be opposite my room for hair and makeup, video and photos also having 6 bridesmaids and 3 flower girls it was best to contain the excitement in one room and to help me in the morning to get ready. They both entered the room to smell something referred to as old rotten wood, they opened the closed curtains to find mould all over their hands, pulled back the bedding riddled in mould and table lamp wet and the bath covered in grime and bath panel fallen off. When they called reception they were told “oh yeah we’ve had a flood I guess you want to move rooms?? Well we have none to move to now” feeling quite distressed my bridesmaid called my room in which my sister answered the phone. Not wanting me to find out my sister demanded the manager to our room, was told they would sort the issues and waited for a new room near to me to be allocated. Well ‘near’ to me was a 10min walk to the conference centre!! No offer to help with luggage, no apologies for the long distance to the room. By this time I arrived back and told my sister to go enjoy herself at the spa. My bridesmaid, niece and myself carried 3 bags to the conference centre in the pouring rain. Again, when we arrived there was NO room. We were then told to “go back” to somewhere called the Annexe, 15mins walk from the main house! This meant running over in the rain in the morning at 6:30am of the wedding day for hair and makeup as the stylist was based in my room in the mansion house. I had to pretty much beg someone to take us over in his car as my poor girls were drenched.

Dinner – pretty much the same experience as lunch, no other choices in the hotel due to 3 weddings (the words Wedding Meat Market spring to mind!!) I reserved a table 48hrs before we arrived in case it was busy plus we wanted an early night. We arrived to find a waiter had just given our table away (although we arrived early) due to a wedding party of 150 guests. To my shock I then cleaned my own table.

Returning back to the room at 21:30pm I tried to call reception for 45mins with either no answer or they would pick up and then place the phone down on me instantly. Only wanting to order my breakfast for 8:00am, I walked downstairs to reception to find 3 young ladies messing around playing with key cards. I asked if it was a busy night, one laughed and said “no not really” so I asked if they had seen my calls and Yes they had – Speechless, I ordered our breakfast and this was written into an overnight book and off I went to bed. The loud wedding music went on until 01:30am so still wide awake at 02:00am.

Wedding Morning – Breakfast did not arrive. My sister called again and after 45mins it arrived cold, powdered eggs and mushrooms. Needless to say we didn’t eat that. We called reception to ask for the food to be taken away and for my belongs to be moved to my new bridal suite so I didn’t disturb anyone on my arrival back from the wedding later that night. Assured this would be done and not to worry, I trusted them to move all of my belongings.. WRONG (again always go with your gut instinct). Best part of that morning was LEAVING for the wedding at Ufton Court.

Around 12:30am that night my sister, exhausted niece and now 17yr old nephew in tow arrived back to the room to find it a complete mess, nothing moved, the old food still in the room stinking the place, no new bed – Nothing! So with my poor niece in tow again she had to find someone to help tidy the room and provide a new fold away bed. The acting manager Dillon came along with a Tea Trolley?? to “help”. Basically, he watched my sister clean the room whilst he stood there watching at 1.00am. He had brought no new bedding or anything.

My husband and I arrived back to our new room around 02:00am mostly happy with our room and exhausted from a long day. I ran into our room expecting my luggage (Oh no!!) I HAD NO CLOTHES!! As my sister’s room wasn’t cleaned no one moved my belongs to my room on my WEDDING NIGHT!! So I arrive in my new room at 2am with absolutely nothing just the wedding dress I was wearing, my sister was asleep and I couldn’t get in the room. In the morning my husband lent me some shorts and t-shirt but I had no toothbrush, nothing. I can’t stress enough how upset I was about this. Also, couldn’t turn the freezing air con off as the control panel was stuck to the very high celling – Clever!

My new parents in law had no electricity in their overpriced room and had issues checking in at 01:00am.

Sunday morning - A bridesmaid called reception regarding breakfast when the receptionist answered and asked for her room number she said “oh you’re the nightmare room” !! I am shocked you hire rude unprofessional people like that. On arrival to breakfast my sister noticed on the breakfast room number checklist a star against her and another of my bridemaids name in brackets saying not to serve until after 10.30am as difficult guests.

Although this review is lengthy I am truly lost for words, how this hotel still have outside customers amazes me. The impression I get and have read from MANY reviews is Wokefield only actually care about corporate meetings and mass production weddings. Some of my family stayed at the Comfort Inn Padworth 25mins drive from the venue @ £40 BB and had a brilliant time.

Since the wedding 2 bridesmaids have had to argue on the phone for refunds and apologies. They were told Wokefield do not offer 100% refunds?? So they still ending up paying £40. One also asked to move rooms and organised to have the luggage take over to the new room and nothing happened. She too had no clothes for the Sunday morning.

3 weddings on one night no problem – delivering scrambled eggs with 8hrs advance notice = total melt down!!.

Regards
One pushed-to-the-limit bride.

Room Tip: Don't be fooled by the beautiful surroundings...the inside services are ugly. Makes for nice wed...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank Tracyf23
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

I am glad to read that your issues encountered where rectified by our team at De Vere. I am also sorry to read that you encountered any issues in the first instance. Please accept our apologies again, i can confirm all the team here at Wokefield are trained in customer services. I am again sorry to read that you encountered any issues whilst here at Wokefield.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Having stayed in a very nice executive room last time I was here, I opted for a cheaper standard room this time round and immediately regretted it. It looked like the room was straight out of the 1980's, and hadn't been touched since. The bed was hard and creaky and the duvet was paper thin. The carpet was stained, the walls scuffed and the curtains tatty. The bathroom was also extremely old fashioned. The hotel and grounds are very nice, their standard rooms just need badly upgrading.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback after your recent stay, I am sorry to read that that the room you stayed in was a little dated, we do have a rolling maintenance programme in place here at Wokefield, and take pride in what we deliver. Please accept my apologies if this may of slightly let us down on this occasion.

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Only thing I'd like to say was that the room that we were given had mould on the wall and the room was soooo hot, I complained to the staff but the hotel was fully booked and there was nowhere else they could put us. Other than that it was a good hotel

Stayed: April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback here on trip advisor, I am sorry to read that you encountered an issue with your room, I shall be speaking with the team to ensure all rooms are at the required standard for all guests.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Stayed one night as part of a hotel & spa break package, 3 friends. Stayed in room 226 in the mansion house. The room itself was nice, comfy beds, clean modern bathroom. The hotel is split across 2 buildings - ask for a room in the mansion house.
Spa is ok, friendly staff, but very small - only 8 people allowed in the hot tub area (although only space for 2 to sit down!) If you want a big spa where you can lounge by the pool all day, you won't find it here. There is a pool in a separate building but it's not for relaxing, nowhere to sit etc. Spa treatments were fine, one of my friends said her massage was fantastic.
Specifically booked this hotel as it advertised a triple room. This turned out to be a double with a child's camp bed. We complained and impressively quickly they replaced camp bed with a proper double... but be warned, I think we were lucky!
Dinner is a fairly average buffet in the other building, service was friendly but very slow.
Reception is incredibly slow - we queued every time we needed to speak to reception & there seemed little impetus to improve the speed or increase the number of staff on the desk, or even acknowledge the ever increasing number of people in the queue.
Overall - fine for a weekend away where the company is good & location is convenient. But if you're looking for something special... keep looking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the mansion house, much nicer
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback from your recent stay, I am sorry to read that you encountered initial problems with the beds in your room, but great to hear that the initial problem was rectified by the team. We do take all feedback seriously here at Wokefield and share it as a team. I am sorry to hear that you found the reception a little slow whilst here at Wokefield, we do always try are very best to deal with all guest in a timely manner. I again apologies for the delays you experienced.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We booked Wokefield Park for a short golf break. The deal through GolfBreaks is very good. The course is wide open with not too much rough so when you don't drive straight, at least you have a decent chance of finding your ball.
The hotel facilities are somewhat less good. We were put into a nice room in the Mansion. Our room was about as far away from reception as you could get, so when our door key didn't work, I was less than happy. We phoned reception but the guy who arrived wouldn't open the door for us, and insisted that I traipse back to reception to prove who I was! Not happy!
We booked a late dinner slot (open until 10pm) and arrived around 21:15hrs. The place was virtually deserted. There were no soup spoons, the bread was stale, the choice of main courses was poor (and dried out), and the pudding selection was poor. Don't go to Wokefield Park for the food as you'll be disappointed. We gave it a 3-star rating on the basis of the golf course.

Room Tip: Don't go here for the food. Book tee-off times earaly as the course gets very busy at weekends.
1  Thank Cairokid
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for taking time to provide your review, I am sorry to read that you felt the food was not to a standard that you would expect. The staff here at Wokefield would always liaise with our chefs to produce a guest something different should a guest inform them of any potential issues. I am also sorry to hear that your room key did not work and that you had to return to reception to have it cut again. Great that you found the golf course enjoyable and easy to manage.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Spotted a De Vere venues promotion on the internet and booked two nights at a very competitive price. As reviews were a mix of very good to awful, we were delighted to find that the hotel was much better than we expected: easy to find, plenty of free parking, helful and friendly reception staff, a comfortable and very clean room, efficient wifi, and great views over the golf course. We walked around the extensive grounds, used the indoor pool and relaxed in 'The Street' area with free coffee from the (many) hot drinks dispensers. If De Vere Venues run another promotion we will certainly consider returning to Wokefield Park.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you for your recent review following your stay here at Wokefield, great to read that you got a good deal for your two night stay, we hope we have the pleasure of seeing you here at Wokefield in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

So pleased with our 3 night stay with 2 children. The hotel has fantastic facilities and we were made to feel so welcome. Brilliant crazy golf, my son also had golf tuition by a member of the team which was first class. Would recommend to anyone! Agree that the decor is a little tired in places but the facilities and staff more than compensate for this

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for your recent review from your 3 night stay here at Wokefield, Great to see that you had an enjoyable stay with your two children.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratfield Mortimer
The Mill House Hotel and Restaurant
Regency Park Hotel
Regency Park Hotel
#6 of 17 in Newbury

Been to De Vere Wokefield Estate? Share your experiences!