“A Great Rustic Place to Stay for Arkansas River Activities with Very Attentive Owners”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cotopaxi
Sweetwater River Ranch
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Our family of 6 belonged to a party of 20 who were there for a family reunion. The owners were exceptionally attentive to our needs and desire to congregate together for meals and activities. Prior to arrival they had pulled several picnic tables together for us to use and set up a propane grill for our use where they had set up the picnic tables.

The camp store does have just any necessity you might have forgotten or run out of for reasonable prices. Anything we needed assistance with they gladly lent a hand. The night sky was beautiful there, shooting stars and the Milky Way seen in abundance. The Arkansas River provides for a wonderful sound at night.

According to my 20 something boys who stayed in a pioneer cabin, it was very comfortable and the camp bathrooms and showers were always clean. Our deluxe cabin had a very comfortable bed and was very clean. The kitchen was fairly well stocked with utensils for cooking and eating.

The prices are fair - not cheap, but not expensive. I know they have put a ton of work into this place in that I stayed there 10 years ago when it was much more rustic, and they have made huge improvements.

With a lot of pros, there were a few minor cons, which is why we chose a "very good" over an "excellent ". The deluxe cabin has only one tiny sink in the cooking area, so the same sink used to cook with and wash fresh fruits and veggies is the same sink used after making use of the bathroom - that really bothered my husband and I and some of our guests. Others just thought of it as part of being rustic and were not bothered by it.

The road the camp is on has heavy truck traffic at night, thus can be noisy.

Our porch did not have a front railing and I felt this might be a hazard at night in the dark - we did have a lot of traffic in and put of our cabin as it was kind of "the cooking cabin" and lack of railing made me nervous.

If we return to Cotopaxi, we absolutely would stay here again. The owners and maintainence staff are "excellent" and have a comfortable, clean, rustic, pleasant place to stay along the Arkansas River.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Jill S

Reviewed 28 July 2013

Nice park, nice people. However, we were "sold" 50 amp service upon booking an RV site. The park is woefully underpowered and their system would not even carry a 30 amp load. When asked about it, we were told there were "occasional" issues with "a few" motor homes. When talking to the regulars in the park, they tell us that there are routine issues with the park electrical system not being able to handle any reasonable demand for electricity. I do not ask for anything free but when I spoke to the owner, he simply acted like there was no issue. Again, I never want anything for nothing but I got no more services that I would have gotten had I rented a tent site. There was NO offer on their part to try to make anything right with regards to this issue. I would definitely not recommend using this park unless you are willing to stay there without power.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Mark R, Owner at Sweetwater River Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Mr. R.
Thank you for your review. We can't know how we're doing without feedback.

We're disappointed and sorry that your stay at Sweetwater wasn't what you expected. You did not provide us with an email address or I would have already contacted you to offer you a refund. You may call me to make arrangements.

Our records show that you rented site MT-2, a 50A site but the breaker kept tripping when connected to your RV. The electric testers showed correct wiring service. In case there was a ground fault in your trailer that was tripping the GFI, we moved you to MT-5, which doesn't have the added feature of a GFI breaker. Your trailer kept tripping the breaker, in spite of the testers showing correct service. MT-2 had 2 RV's before and 3 after your stay, most drawing 50 amps and none of them had any trouble. MT-5 had 8 before yours and 2 after you who had no trouble with the service. Our electrician has load tested both sites & signed off on them.

I'm VERY receptive to the idea that power problems CAN come from the park. Occasionally a breaker wears out & need to be replaced, especially, it seems on those where people insist on arcing them by plugging int while the breaker is switched on. It is certainly true that up to 5% of our RV guests experience some kind of power issue. But, it has been our experience over many years that, if the meters say it's good and many RV's both before and after one which encounters unexpected problems, it is often something in that particular RV. I'm not a certified RV technician and can't professionally troubleshoot problems inside an RV.

Having said that, I'm MUCH less interested in who's "fault" something might be than I am in having people feel they received good value. That's why we moved you to another site, only charged you for a 30A site instead of the 50A you reserved, and are offering you a refund.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

My family and I rented one of the Pioneer cabins for 3 nights and had a great time; it was exactly what we were looking for. Relaxing, clean, private, with just the right amount of amenities. It provided comfy beds, a small fridge, sink, BBQ, and fabulous large porch with view of the river - we spent a lot of time just relaxing on the porch. We couldn't get over how clean everything was kept. There is also a small store that carries almost everything you may have forgotten. The staff was wonderful and happily answered all our questions. An added bonus for us was its close proximity to OHV trails, we spent two days riding our dirt bikes at McCoy Gulch which is less than a mile away.

Room Tip: Pioneer Cabin 2 is the closest to the river and furthest from the highway, nice and private if that...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Heatway
Reviewed 20 June 2013

My wife and I came from California to look for land and we stayed at Sweetwater River Ranch for two weeks in a tent! We had no idea what to expect but Immediately when we arrived Mark welcomed us and gave us our choice of tent sites, we picked one on the road side at the far end, and I must say it was beautiful!
The campground is just amazing, it's very well kept up, the bathrooms were always clean (even with groups of young boys!) the grass was always cut, there was always firewood and ice available and the camp hosts are great people!
During our stay, the Royal Gorge fire started and the canyon started filling with smoke, the camp hosts came to us one evening and offered us any hotel room or cabin (at no charge) we wanted to escape the smoke! (hospitality at its best) Also the last weekend we were there we had a car issue and the camp host helped us get it going temporarily, however, we had to extend our stay by one day (oh darn)! When I went in to let the owners know, Marsha told us that we have been great guests and she wouldn't charge us for the extra day! Amazing right!?
Also during our stay my wife and I wanted to take a whitewater river rafting trip, Marsha recommended a great place (Vessels for Honor) and we asked the camp hosts if they would join us! Well, we all went and became lifelong friends!
We witnessed lots of groups and campers during our two+ weeks there, and everyone that we met were 'happy campers'! I would and will recommend Sweetwater River Ranch every chance I get!
Thank You Mark and Marsha for a great campground and your generous hospitality! And a big THANK YOU to our new friends the camp hosts for coming into our lives!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank KevnDanata
Reviewed 9 June 2013 via mobile

What an amazing place. I have stayed here multiple times with my family and friends. I rented the entire facility for a women's fly fishing retreat recently and the experience was over-the-top. The staff were so accommodating and wonderful-they felt like family by the end. Highly recommend Sweetwater River Ranch!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank ReelSister
Reviewed 7 June 2013

The spots are clean and the people delightful! PS: Mark knows all about the fishing holes and the goings on in the area. Canon City is one way, Salida the other ... both are about a 30 minute drive. But if solitude is what you desire you've got that, too.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank GypsyLisa
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I always use TripAdvisor as a source for reviewing places to stay and had previously read about this campground here prior to staying there this past May. I saw only one poor review (well two but by the same grp) so I decided to give it a try. Whoever had the bad experience must have been a very isolated event because the hosts could not have been more helpful and friendly. They even go out of their way to help you set up your travel trailer if you need help or forget anything. Before leaving I had a low tire and they even aired it up for me. The bathrooms are clean, the river runs right by your campsite, the cabins are very nice. The swinging bridge is a kick. I would highly recommend staying here. Thanks to the owners for a great experience. I will be back!

Room Tip: Pick a site next to the river. It is more quiet from the highway and better view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sportstergal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cotopaxi
Salida Inn & Monarch Suites
Baymont Inn & Suites Salida
Parkview Inn Motel
Parkview Inn Motel
#2 of 13 in Canon City

Been to Sweetwater River Ranch? Share your experiences!