“Won't stay again”

Bear Valley Inn
Bear Valley Inn
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Craig
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I smoke. Like millions of people. I don't like how I have to get up, dress extra warm, scarf, coat, heavy socks, all to have one cigarette, After a week of doing this, I am now ready to blow up on someone. Ridiculous. Almost tempted to say the Hell with this and smoke in the bathroom. I will not ever ever ever stay here again........... period

Room Tip: If you Smoke, forget staying here, even if you are bring a lot of business from my husbands job sta...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank HammerFamily4102

Reviewed 16 June 2012

Stayed here several times while traveling through Colorado. Very nice clean and large rooms. Management will help to make your stay as comfortable as they can. Also enjoyed sitting around the fire pit and visiting with others staying at the motel.

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank gypsytraveler53
Reviewed 23 August 2011

I was there in mid-July, 2011. I had a room in the single-level section across the back (not the two story building on the road). My room was very large with lots of furniture (large table under very large wall mounted flat screen TV), a writing desk with lamp and chair, two bed side tables, a small refirgerator with a microwave on top, large king bed (it could have easily had two queen beds in it). The rug was perhaps a little old. The dual-sink area was clean and reasonably modern. I could tell that the toilet/shower room had been recently painted. All in all quite nice. So I am very perplexed at the couple who gave a 1-star and said they had bugs. There was a large pile of "stuff" outside one room between me and the office, evidence of renovation in some units. Perhaps they got an old unit.

There was a couple next to me that I talked to that evening outside our rooms. There was a man in the room on the other side with whom I spoke early the next morning. Two other motorcyclists had a room in the two-story unit who I later saw sitting round the fire pit. All of them seemed quite happy with their stay.

The manager was friendly and helpful (with recommendations to eat). He invited me to sit out by the fire pit in the evening (I did not; went to bed very early for an early start the next day). I feel as though he would have been helpful had I had any problems. They seem to be making a concerned effort to change conditions and prior bad ratings.

PS
Check out the tree-stump carvings in the City Park.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank cj02139
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My hubby and I stayed at the Bear Vally Inn this month along with another couple. No problems at all. Girl working the desk was very nice. Room was clean. Frig, microwave coffee maker.....no pool. A great propane fire pit outside to sit around and visit with friends. Also 2 gas grills and 1 charcoal grill should you decide to grill dinner. Room was large. Only one problem really...in the bathroom there was a small cabinet type sink so there was basically no where to set things. That was a little awkward but nothing to complain about. Price was fair.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank badboy10wy
Reviewed 19 July 2011

On arrival I was pleased with the outdoor appearance of the hotel, however, the moment we unlocked our room door and walked in, it was apparent that the web-site terribly misrepresented this hotel. We were appalled and immediately started calling other hotels in the area, all of which were completely booked for a Mine Rescue Convention. The room was dingy and dirty looking. The baseboards were crumbling, the furniture was the absolute bare minimum and very antiquated, the lighting was the worst I have EVER see (one lamp), there was visible rust on the tissue holder, ant-slip tape in the bath tub was completely loose and lying in the bottom of the tub, and after lying on the bed for just a few minutes, I had bug bites. Because I have no idea what bedbugs look like, I went to the front desk (making sure that I did not speak in front of other guests, due to respect) and asked for assistance. After her looking and questioning the manager, we came to the conclusion that it was NOT bedbugs. However, the manager did not even want to discuss the situation. I was very nice and discreet. Although, it was not bedbugs, my husband and I awoke with several bug bites and we are thinking it was most likely fleas. The TV signal freezes up. The curtains were uneven and would not close and the A/C was noisy and dripped. There is nothing personable about any of the staff that works here..at all. The brochure says they have a continental breakfast, they did not. The website says the rooms have fridges and microwaves. The 1st room we were given did not and we had to ask for another room. The 1st morning we were there, there was trash littering the outside picnic and firepit area. I understand that it is under new ownership and that may be the problem. If we could have checked out on day one, we would have. We chose this hotel based on reviews on this site. I was more than disappointed. I am trying to save someone else the trouble. We are not picky people and are very frequent travelers. We are not hard to please. My advice is: if you want a pleasant experience, DO NOT stay here.

Room Tip: There ar no decent rooms availabale. Every guest I visited with while there, was very disappointed.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
7  Thank Justmegloryb
Reviewed 30 July 2010

We were driving through Colorado on our motorcycle and stopped in Craig to stay for the night. We came across this Inn and was pleasantly surprised. Very nice on the outside and the couple who manages it was so helpful. They gave us a corner room so we could get the bike in and out without any problem. The room was nice, clean, the bed was very comfortable. When we were unloading our motorcycle they brought us over extra towels to wash it off.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple