“Great tour and good food/drinks!”

Montanya Distillers
More attraction details
Owner description: A Distillery and Tasting Room for Montanya Distillers, a working rum distillery in Crested Butte, Colorado. Open daily for cocktails, appetizers, bottle and merchandise purchases, distillery tours, free tastings, and more.
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I don't drink alcohol, but the tour of the distillery was very interesting and well-presented! They have many different cocktails, all of which can be made without alcohol. Try the beach bum! It's yummy! They also have homemade peanut and almond butter, pesto, desserts, and breads. We bought the cinnamon raisin bread, and it's excellent toasted with butter. Highly recommend!

2  Thank Amber747
There are newer reviews for Montanya Distillers

Reviewed 18 August 2012

What looks like another bar with colorful props is actually a working distillery. Of all the spirits they could have brewed, they decided on rum. It is an unexpected and wonderful discovery. I sure as heck do not see sugarcane growing on the ski slopes out there!

The sugarcane comes from Maui. The yeast is champagne yeast I was told, but as usual the source is hush-hush. The water is no secret, local mountain springs, not lime-stoney, or boggy. And the barrels used for aging are oak, previously storing whiskey.

DO: Take the short tour. The two copper pot stills looked like they were hammered out by a blacksmith. The day I took the tour one pot was cooking and the heat was pleasant, like being in a kitchen. The alcohol evaporates through the alembic coil at the top. The condensate is filtered and drips down into stainless steel containers, just like barn milk. It is all standard operating procedure but it looks so homey in a non-industrial scale.

DO: Taste the samples. The Platino is the non-barreled, clear rum. It has a neutral aroma and tastes sharp and clean. The Oro is the golden colored, oak-aged rum. It has a coffee like aroma. It leaves a silky smooth layer as you swirl it around the glass. And it has a complex, warm and wise beyond its years feel.

DO: Try one of the cocktail. The Montanya rum may not yet qualify as a classic the way a Bacardi is, but its crisp and clean flavor lends itself to a good mixer. I was told the Maharaja is the number one cocktail so I gave it a try. Whoa! Nice job! You will find three cardamon pods swimming in a combo of ginger beer, Maharaja syrup, Oro rum, and rimmed with a spectator layer of cinnamon sugar. This Asian fusion cocktail is more like one found in a Singapore bar rather than a Cowboy joint in the mountains!

Stumbling upon this distillery is like finding a gold nugget during a hike. Crested Butte, you don't know what an asset you have in your hands!

2  Thank Lapster2011
Reviewed 8 July 2012

What a unique and fun place. A great addition to one of my favorite towns. We stopped in after the 4th of July parade and did a rum tasting. We also ordered cocktails and a cheese/salami/olive platter (the large platter was huge by the way and more than enough for 4 people). After our first round we all ordered the Basil Paradiso for the second round. My sister-in-law had it in the first round, and while we all loved our various cocktails, this one was simply amazing. The only drawback was that they weren't really prepared staffwise for the crowd. This is their first 4th of July after-parade and the rain brought even more people in so I'm hoping they'll be ready with extra staff for peak times in the future. The service as slow due to the crowd so I don't fault the servers or mixologists since they were working really hard, Great place

Reviewed 3 July 2012

While visiting Crested Butte for the day, we stumbled upon Montanya and decided to stop in for a drink after glancing at the menu outside. The interior is beautiful- it has an old West saloon feel with some modern tweaks. They were making a batch of rum when we were there, but we did not take the tour. We were the only people in the place in the middle of the week and the afternoon so you would think the bartender would be happy to have customers. We sampled the light and dark rums and then ordered a drink. The cocktails were interesting and different in a wonderful way. Some of the ingredients in mine were cloves and mint- very refreshing. Most are $8. They also have alcohol-free offerings if a member of your party does not partake.

Overall, thumbs up for the drinks and decor, thumbs down for the bartender that acted like we were an inconvenience.

1  Thank Kori K
Management response:Responded 5 July 2012

I would love to know what day and time you stopped in at Montanya so I can follow up constructively with my staff. Generally our 10 tasting room bartenders get very high marks from customers, so this is alarming to me. Were you offered a tour and decided against it, or was a tour not offered? please let us know any specifics of the poor service you received so we can make sure it never happens again.

Karen Hoskin
Owner and President
970-799-3206 ext 1

Reviewed 29 May 2012

I had three different drinks - LOVED them all. So creative and fresh... I'm not a fan of rum, but these drinks were fabulous - I wanted to try them all. I may be a fan now!! They have their recipes online - so find one (or many) you like and create at home. We're in Crested Butte a few days and already know we'll go back tomorrow. This is a must do!

2  Thank kushta