“"Perfect sort of place for Crested Butte!"”

Crested Butte International Lodge & Hostel
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My plans changed during my ski trip so I called Crested Butte Lodging at 7pm on the day of my arrival (from Leadville, before dinner, while I was already on route) to reserve 4 nights at the Crested Butte Hostel and to tell them that I expected to arrive after 11pm. CBL shares a building with the Hostel and closes at 8pm. The Hostel front desk has even more limited hours (4pm-5pm and sometimes in the morning) but we still found a way to get me into my bunkroom upon my arrival. I registered the next morning when someone was at the front desk. I was also able to get a 4-day lift ticket for a ~12% discount! That's even better than the online discount, which is 5% less than the ticket window price.

The location is awesome! It's a few steps away from the bus stop for the free mountain shuttle to Mt. Crested Butte and the ski area, 3-5 minute walk from the bus stop for the free RTA bus to Gunnison, and within reasonable walking distance from everything in the Town of Crested Butte (all reachable by free shuttle if you don't feel like walking). The Gas Cafe is right next door with its legendary breakfast sandwiches and decent selection of postcards.

The place is clean and pleasant but still has character. Bunkhouse guests use the single-sex community bathrooms, which are accessed with their key cards for the single-sex bunkrooms (good security). There are some private rooms as well but I'm not sure if they have their own bathrooms.

Guests can get groceries and use the kitchen, and with bunkhouse beds at only ~$34/night this is a great deal! The reason you can be as comfortable as you are here at such a low price is likely due to the limited front desk hours. But if you're the high-maintenance sort who's seeking to be pampered, Crested Butte is probably not the place for you anyway. For something more airbrushed, Vail/Beaver Creek is up on Highway 70 and Park City/Deer Valley is over in Utah. But the terrain at the Butte is wilder and far more EPIC!

Room Tip: Be open-minded, or just pay more money to go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Crested Butte is a wonderful place to visit. The international lodge offers an excellent place to stay while visiting CB. It was very easy to make reservation via phone. They had our room ready when we arrived. There were 4 of us so we were able to get a room to ourselves - 2 bunk beds (sleeps 4). We enjoyed CB so much that we decided to stay +1 night in CB at the International Lodge. The front desk staff was very helpful. Would highly recommend this place to anyone travelling to CB. The cost per night was very reasonable and the hostel offered all needed services. One minor negative is that the wifi signal does not work in the room - it only works in the lobby.

Room Tip: We stayed in 216. Would recommend that room!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I spent eight days in the nearby mountains during the fall 2013 aspen season, mainly primitive or car camping. Twice I stayed overnight at the CB Hostel to shower, re-organize my gear, and get a relaxing night's sleep. And on my last day of vacation, went to the hostel to get a warm shower prior to my long (16 hr) drive back home.
For basically the price of a campsite, you get clean accommodations, warm shower and kitchen facilities. A laundromat is next door. If all you need is a shower, that's six bucks, but make sure you schedule this during the time that the front desk is staffed. CB is a cozy town, with the restaurants and shops only 4-8 blocks away from the hostel. Since I was in town during the "off season" (i.e., before the slopes open), I lucked out and got a room all to myself during midweek.
Susan, the lady on staff, was courteous and helpful to all the guests.
Would I come back here the next time I go backpacking/climbing in the Elks? Yes!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Really nice place to stay in CB. Super clean well equipped kitchen which, if you've stayed in other hostels, is a wonderful thing. Entire place is clean and pleasant. On site parking. Left behind a sweater and coat. Very nice manager Susan shipped it within hours calling to say she had them.
The town had a relaxed gentle vibe. Great mountain biking. Looking forward to getting back for more next year, maybe even some skiing this winter.
Being at this CB Hostel was a pleasure. Truly.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Enjoyed my stay here. It was pre-season, so I had a whole bunk room to myself for $25. Pillow, blankets, towels. Each bunk has a large, lockable drawer for valuables for which I brought my own lock. Handy for locking my laptop. Plus, each bunk room is card keyed, as is the outside door. Comfortable mattress, individual reading lamps, exceptionally clean restrooms, hot showers, relaxing common room, functional kitchen completely stocked with pots, dishes, silverware, coffee maker, microwave, stove, oven, etc. Wifi was good sitting in the front window seats in the common room. The manager Susan was very friendly and helpful with recommendations and information regarding town. There is a laundromat connected to the hostel. There are also private rooms available. Male & female bunk rooms. Reservations taken. All in all, highly recommended!

Room Tip: Bring a flashlight for nighttime trips to the restroom.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 July 2013

The facility is very nice, clean and convenient, however the service is TERRIBLE. Some college age puke by the name of Ryan appearently thought the place was called a HOSTILE. Every interaction with this kid was unpleasant and rude. It seemed I, as a paying customer, was an interruption of his napping, biking and smoking time. As a specific example, I asked for some clean bath towels. Ryans response was something to the effect of "dude, this is a hostel, we don't service the rooms, you have to tell me what you want." Evidently, standing at the "service desk" requesting towels wasn't adiquate notification for him. The town is lovely, but I got this attitude from many in this community. It seems as if paying customers, ie; tourists, are unwelcome. I am a Colorado native and grew up in a tourist town too. I know it can be frustrating waiting for the first snow and the last tourist, but employees are paid to put aside their desires and serve the customers in front of them. I will gladly take my dollars to Salida, Buena Vista, Cripple Creek or any of the other more welcoming communities in our great state. By the way, I am a top rated customer service agent for one of the worlds largets auto companies; regarding customer service, I am an undisputed authority.

Room Tip: Make sure the hallway light is left on at night so you don't tumble down the stairs in the dark.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul R
Reviewed 29 June 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Paul K
#4 of 9 in Crested Butte
Three Rivers Resort
Three Rivers Resort
#1 of 1 in Almont

Been to Crested Butte International Lodge & Hostel? Share your experiences!