“It's clean, there is a bed, but for $38 a night. . . . . . . .”

Crested Butte International Lodge & Hostel
louisiana
“It's clean, there is a bed, but for $38 a night. . . . . . . .”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2006

This place is the biggest rip off I had seen from any hostel ever! So I had been to at least 6 hostels in Colorado, this one was pretty cozy. I've also traveled to probably 30 different hostels in N. America. This one is much better than some of the others. But my conclusive report of this hostel is this. FIND SOMEWHERE ELSE, unless you are not living on a budget. At $38 a night, most would expect a little more than just a bed to sleep on at night with one pillow and a blanket. And there are no weekly rates, yeah, you have to pay $266 for a freakin' week to share a room with snorers. Good luck trying to convince the owner. Hell I'm sure you could find any hotel with cable tv and private bath on the highway for less than 30 a night. But I suppose that since you are in this great ski town which has the reputation of not being one of those high class overpriced ski resorts, you should have to pay the price. Well I've been in those overpriced ski resorts and still stayed at a hostel for under $28. Sure you are really out of the way from a hotel anywhere around here. But let's look at the math. If three of you wanted to stay here for one night, you're looking at over $100. That is unheard of in the hostel world. Also did I mention there is no breakfast (not even a piece of bread), and no free coffee in the morning, who had ever heard of charging such outrageous prices for not even a cup of coffee in the morning. Here is my advice, go to couchsurfing.com, find someone in the area and crash on their couch, because prices like this hostel are outrageously stupid. Overall, I must say this hostel is clean, close to the bus stop and quiet. But for $38 a night, (---) it, I'm staying in Gunni, or sleeping in my car because this is just plain robbery. So yes, I was actually quite dissatisfied. By the way I stayed in a hostel that was cleaner than this one in NYC, that was across the street from Central Park, and had access to the subway one block away, and only paid $18 a night, now that was a deal, this place is a thievery. Also they charge $2 a bowl of cereal.

• Liked — shower
  • Disliked — prices
  • Tips/Secrets — save your money, try couchsurfing.com
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Denver, Colorado

7. LARGE LIVING ROOM WITH TELEVISION
8. LAUNDRY SERVICE
9. FAMILY FRIENDLY
10. FREE INTERNET

An inexpensive way to stay in Crested Butte. We brought our own sleeping bags and a cooler of food. Each bunk had a reading lamp and the hostel was quiet at night. The room was hot, but we were provided with a large fan which helped circulate the air. The shared bathroom was immaculate. We did need to bring our own towels and toiletries, but there are benches and towel hooks which provide a convenient place for these things. My children have asked to stay at the hostel the next time we are in Crested Butte. They loved the community environment!

• Stayed July 2006
5 Thank thetangal
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2005

Skiing my way cross-country to Montana, I had to hit Crested Butte to relive some glory days in the 90's at the mountain. I was amazed at the cost for shelter in town till someone pointed me to the CB Lodge and Hostel. Wow, what a bargain for that town. I would recommend it to anyone. Anyone who has never stayed in a hostel, you will get spoiled here. Don't think they are all like this! If only we could connect a few and make a ski tour across the Rockies for those of us who travel on a budget? A sincere thank you to the owners for designing and truly elevating the status of hostel in America to a European Style Inn! Thank You!

• Stayed December 2004
#9 of 9 in Crested Butte
The Nordic Inn
The Nordic Inn
#1 of 9 in Crested Butte

Been to Crested Butte International Lodge & Hostel? Share your experiences!