“Excellent Value and Location”

Grand Lodge Crested Butte
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Crested Butte
Bellevue, Washington
“Excellent Value and Location”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

The staff at the Grand Lodge really goes above and beyond! They let us check in at 9:00 am. They bellhop trudged out into the snow to help get all of our luggage. Anytime we had a question or request they were super polite and went out of their way to help.

The location to lifts can't be beat. Plus you can check your skis for free while staying at the lodge (so it saves you carrying your gear about 100 ft).

They offer a breakfast buffet starting pretty early so you get a bite and hit up the powder as quickly as possible.

This is the only three star hot-wire hotel in Crested Butte (at time of review). So if it is available on hot-wire, you can likely save a few bucks. (We got it for $173/night for a Friday night in January, which was ~$50 less than the list price).

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mathmagican

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Denver
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We bought the $279 getaway package for CB (2 - two day lift tix plus night lodging for $279) and was that a steal! We payed for an extra night at a reduced rate and I still feel great about what we spent! Since this was part of a package I didn't have high expectations for the lodging, it was convenient and part of the ski deal, so it didn't matter. I was blown away by everything. We stayed in a King Suite on the 2nd floor. The rooms are a great size and the kitchenette amenities are really, really nice. Two tv's and again, just plenty of space. We had a dog friendly room (b/c we brought our little pup). The room was VERY clean and comfortable for all 3 of us. This hotel is a nice short walk to the lifts and parking is free and easy. We took a dip in the hot tub during a snow storm which was really just perfect. The ski valet was a nice perk too. I would definitely recommend this hotel and will stay here again!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This is the place that my husband and I stay at every time we are visiting Crested Butte. .The location is perfect when skiing at Crested Butte since the lift is just a short walk from the lodge. We do not have to use a car until we are ready to leave. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. I like that we can leave our skis with the staff and they will take the equipment to the Outpost. The buses taking you to the city is just a few steps away. And Best of all, so is DJangos. The amenities are wonderful with the hot tub and pool. there is also a spa. I had a wonderful stone massage, which was much needed after a weekend of skiing. The beds are also very comfortable, which is sometimes tricky. There is a small kitchen with microwave, refrigerator, and one burner. We will bring breakfast food with us and then eat out at the many wonderful restaurants nearby. Yes - I love this place.

1 Thank Laura K
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This is a large property with a variety of accommodations. Our room was a King Suite which was spacious and comfortable, plenty of room for assorted ski "stuff'. It was really nice that we could be in different parts of the same room without disturbing each other. Kitchenette was well equipped. All staff were pleasant and helpful. The only down side of our visit was housekeeping - it seemed hit or miss.

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We had the great good fortune to stay at the Grand Lodge as part of a large block of rooms reserved together and therefore got a killer deal. It is truly one of the best hotel experiences I've ever had, particularly because we got such a good price. We did pay an additional resort fee, but I think it was worth it.

We stayed in an Emmons Suite. One extremely comfy King bed and another king murphy bed that we never used. The room was tastefully decorated and extremely clean. The kitchenette was well appointed, there was a good desk, sitting area, small dining table, and giant windows that stretched the entire length of the far wall. The bathroom was also extremely clean and updated. Linens were soft and fresh. There were two robes in the room which were a really nice addition.

The staff was wonderful, extremely friendly and knowledgeable. They were full of recommendations for where to eat both on the Mountain and in town. The shuttle service can't be beaten. The resort had a nice pool and hot tub (which we did not use), a good lobby with fireplaces and a gift shop and restaurant. The location on the Mountain in regards to all other activities and shuttle seemed to be the very best available.

All in all, I can't say enough. Ensure you book through the proper CBMR channels and if you get the right price, you can enjoy a world-class mountain vacation. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 320. Quiet and a nice view.
1 Thank Allie_Zoe
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed at the Grand Lodge for 3 nights in a King Suite and loved every minute. Our room had a very comfortable bed with a view of the mountain and was barely a 5 minute walk over to the ticket office. The suite offered a kitchenette with a single stovetop burner, a sink, a microwave and microfridge, and even a dish washer for doing the dishes provided for us by the hotel. We made breakfast in the morning and relaxed in the evenings with hot chocolate in our living area and watched the Olympics. It was a great room! There were even cookies by the lobby fireplace on our way back from the slopes in the afternoon - a very nice touch. The hotel had a beautiful outdoor heated pool and hot tub which we used every evening. It also had a nice restaurant, gift shop for CB mountain gear, and a free ski check. The hotel is also on the free shuttle route into town if the hotel restaurants get boring and you want a more locally prepared meal.

My only complaint would be the challenging parking area when there is tons of snow! But I'm sure they were doing the best they could as they received 3 feet of snow over a few days time. Pretty amazing!

Room Tip: We requested a mountain view room and enjoyed a view of the slopes each morning and afternoon.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Valerie S
Taos, New Mexico
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The Grand Lodge is a hybrid. It is basically a large condo complex with most of the amenities and services of a hotel. This can be a good thing. Just a hotel and there goes the kitchenette. Just a condo and their goes the pool/tub/fitness and full service amenities. So IF your intention is to pay full price and book through Crested Butte Mountain Resorts (CBMR) or The Grand Lodge itself, you may have a very different experience than I did. But most of us shop around a lot these days. I have had my share of 'odd' rooms through Hot-wire and Price-line that basically get the job done at a great price. But I think vacationers should be aware that IF you book through Crested Butte Lodging and Property Management (CBL), you may get a great price for a substandard room that does not have all the privileges of other guests.

My stay in unit #174 began poorly when I discovered that the 'new last month' King Bed was basically a hammock. Since I have a bad back, I called the front desk and was politely told that I should contact CBL about it, NOT the Grand Lodge. CBL had no other Grand Lodge rooms to offer and said they would bring plywood. Fine. Later they called to say they could not offer this. So they offered a condo away from the ski lifts that would have required taking a shuttle (2 shuttles to get to town). I declined as the whole point of being up at Mount Crested Butte is to be near the lifts and an easy shuttle to town.

The room itself began revealing other flaws. The chairs and couch were uncomfortable and were probably surplus from a low-budget waiting room. The ceilings were so high the whole room echoed. This became 'a thing' when I realized that the room was on a busy corridor of hotel offices that led to the parking lot. Sleeping on 'the hammock' amidst the echoing clatter was a challenge.

The next day, I was allowed to sign for the breakfast buffet but received a call about it. Since I was not booked with The Grand, I needed to go back and pay. Not a big thing....but annoying. By this point I had to wonder, 'Am I a guest here or not'.

What originally drew me to The Grand Lodge is that it is a Crested Butte Mountain Resorts property. This is important because my Taos Ski Pass offers free exchange days ONLY with CBMR. Staying anywhere else, you pay 1/2 price, which is basically 'the parking lot price' and not really a perk. SO, much of the savings I received by booking with CBL disappeared anyway when I payed the extra $49.00 per day for tickets.

I am giving The Grand Lodge 3 stars because, although my experience was a 2, the staff was polite and tried to deal with a bad arrangement that they did not create. I strongly suggest that CBMR and CBL and The Grand Lodge figure out a way to get on the same page. Nobody expects the penthouse when they pay 120.00 per night but a bargain is no bargain if you feel like a 2nd class citizen on your vacation.

Room Tip: Each room is an individually owned condo. If you cannot be assured that you are getting a good room...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
#1 of 9 in Crested Butte
Elk Mountain Lodge
Elk Mountain Lodge
#3 of 9 in Crested Butte

Been to Grand Lodge Crested Butte? Share your experiences!