“Victorian Charm and Comfort”

and 1 more site!
The Ruby of Crested Butte - A Luxury B&B
GreenLeadersGold level
Aspen, Colorado
“Victorian Charm and Comfort”
Reviewed 21 July 2012

My husband and I generally hike between Aspen and Crested Butte at least once per year. We've stayed elsewhere in Crested Butte, but now make a point of planning our hikes around the availability of The Ruby. Not only are they hospitable, gracious, service-oriented and concerned for our comfort, they go out of their way to welcome our dog who makes the hike with us. The extra touches are note-worthy: fresh flowers in the room, fragrant and luscious bathroom products, homemade chocolate chip cookies, fresh fruit and trailmix, old-fashioned "Coke frigidaire" with refreshments including an array of Colorado Micro-brewed beers, doggie biscuits, multi-flavored lattes and teas.

The rooms are cozy with all the creature comforts from flat-screen TVs equipped with cable to inviting bed linens and duvets. The breakfasts are always plentiful, balanced and yummy, with special attention made to using products procured at the farmers' market.

It's the perfect refuge after a hearty hike or day on the slopes.

Room Tip: They were sold out except for their larger "family suite" so we took that room though we c...
1 Thank Melanie S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Centennial, Colorado
Reviewed 19 July 2012

This month was our second visit to The Ruby of Crested Butte, which we discovered last summer. It is the best B&B in Colorado and probably one of the best in the nation. If you are headed to Crested Butte and are a B&B fan, this is the place to stay. Owners Andrea and Chris make you feel like you are at home from the moment you arrive as there is no formality. Grab a couple of homemade cookies, or a cup cake (gluten free upon request) and a complimentary glass of wine and relax in one of the two living room/family rooms in the house and don't even get me started on the fabulous gourmet breakfasts every morning. Have you ever had bacon cooked in the oven with homemade spices. I love to cook and I would never have thought of that.
My girl friends brother and his wife from La Jolla, CA joined us this year and they were blown away.

Room Tip: Book early, as they are always busy.
Reviewed 13 July 2012

I had a wonderful stay at the Ruby in mid June 2012. I booked it just a few days beforehand and was so happy to immediately get a room and email confirmation. As soon as I walked in the door I felt very comfortable and the staff were all so sweet. My room was beautiful, tastefully decorated and quiet to boot. I made a special request for breakfast (eggs vs. pancakes) and they were so easy going about it and made the best eggs I've ever had. The owners were so nice to talk to and had lots of ideas of things to do and where to go. One of the staff members booked my dinner reservation at Maxwell's after I asked about a good place to eat. I took a great little bike ride in the morning right out from their B&B (before breakfast) and enjoyed the beauty of a Crested Butte morning. I would definitely stay there again and hope to go back this fall.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 July 2012

The Ruby is aptly named as it is a true gem. I returned this morning from a wonderful stay with 5 friends. I have stayed in all types of lodging in CB and can honestly say that from now on I will only stay at The Ruby. It is rare to find a hotel or B&B that hits a homerun in every area and yet, Chris and Andrea and their staff knock it out of the park every time. Several things among many make this a wonderful experience...
1. Cleanliness...This place is spotless! Not a dust bunny or smudge to be found. It is evident that they take pride in this home, no detail is missed.
2. Friendliness...I would challenge you to find a friendlier staff. They are warm, genuine, and accommodating at a level that is unsurpassed.
3. Comfort...wonderful beds, excellent linens, comfy common areas, beautiful dining area, stocked fridge with microbrews, sodas, and water, wines, hot tea, coffee and specialty coffee drinks, nuts, fresh baked cookies, chocolates by the bed, plush amenities in the bathroom, fluffy towels, beautiful landscaping...I could keep going but just make your reservation and go experience it yourself :-) You won't regret it!
4. Location...The B&B is just a short walk to Elk (the Main street of CB) putting shopping and restaurants just around the corner; it is just up the hill about 5 minutes to horseback riding and skiing and the rec trail and biking and hiking are just up the street. The Ruby provides free cruiser bikes which are fun and super convenient. The views from here are beautiful as well.
5. Food...everyone on TripAdvisor mentions the food, but I'd love to echo it. It is fantastic. A breakfast like this anywhere would be $30-$40 minimum. I am already craving the ham and egg cupcakes.
6. Green...if you want fresh, organic, local food, chemical free cleaners and green products this is the place. I take it as a personal compliment that Chris and Andrea care enough about their guests and the community to go the extra mile in donating to causes that support a healthier environment while living out this philosophy everyday at their own B&B. Thank you for the nontoxic air freshener :-) and all the other earth and people friendly products!
I just can't say enough good things about my experience here. It is truly the best B&B I have visited. Thank you to the entire staff at The Ruby for a wonderful getaway. I can't wait to come back soon!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. Room #6 is wonderful for a large group. It really does comfortably sleep 6...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Evergreen, Colorado
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We can't say enough about The Ruby. Everyone raves about the breakfasts for good reason--absolutely outstanding! In a town known for its amazing chefs, Chris ranks right up there. Andrea and Chris' attention to detail is what makes this place special. From the delicious cookies in the hallway, the beer and wine in the fridge, the bikes on the premises, their willingness to suggest hikes, make reservations, or sit down and chat, Chris and Andrea make you feel special and at home the moment you arrive. Our room was so comfortable and clean; the atmosphere was tranquil and restful, and we can't wait to go back. We've recommended The Ruby already to family and friends. Only hoping that we don't make it so popular that we can't get a room when we come back in the Fall :).

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2012

We wanted to go to Crested Butte to do some fly fishing and had never been there. I contacted the Ruby via their site and Andrea (owner along with her husband Chris) called within a couple of hours. Long story short, she found two nights where she had availability. It was fairly last minute and we were lucky. It feels like a family member's home when you walk in. Smiles and a tour. Comfortable lovely rooms (we had the smallest one - again, last minute - and it was great). They really do not miss a trick - lovely wines always available along with Colorado beers and soft drinks. The breakfast? The BEST! Chris and Andrea become chefs first thing in the morning. Fabulous food and plenty of it. In addition, we brought out dog, Lyla. They were fabulous with her. In fact, Andrea "dog sat" for us when we went fishing. When we left to go home, I really think they would have preferred to keep our dog.
Will we come back? Absolutely and I we have already told several people about the Ruby. So, if you would like a place to just relax and kick back with great restaurants within walking distance and one of the best breakfasts you will ever have, try staying in Chris and Andrea's home for a couple of nights. On the other hand, if you want ordinary and plain - you should really pass.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are lovely. The top floor has a larger room to accomodate families. The others are...
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Our family virtually took over The Ruby during my niece's recent Crested Butte wedding. Chris, Andrea and their staff were like a part of the family our whole stay. When the term luxury bed and breakfast was coined it had to have been The Ruby that was being described. Comfortable, extremely clean and homey, The Ruby is the place to stay in Crested Butte. And the breakfasts are "to die for". It is located within an easy walk of everything in town and if you don't like to walk just borrow one of the bikes they provide to explore the whole area. Just read the other reviews and you will see that everyone who has stayed at The Ruby seems to feel the same way we do. No request was ignored and all of us had a great time sharing stories with Chris and Andrea. You can not go wrong in choosing The Ruby.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family