“Scenic views from base of Crested Butte Ski Resort”

The Elevation Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Crested Butte
“Scenic views from base of Crested Butte Ski Resort”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We booked this hotel thru Hotwire and were pleasantly surprised! Our room was spacious and had a small kitchen area with a sink, microwave, and beverage refrigerator (meaning racks do not adjust for taller items). Restaurant was reasonably priced with some nights having great dinner specials. Nice outdoor seating area with firepit and view of ski lift. Lots of activities in the ski area for kids and adults -putt putt, rock wall, zip lining, etc. My family enjoyed riding bikes down the mountain, and I enjoyed riding the ski lift for a scenic view of Crested Butte. There was also a bike valet which was great for storing our bikes. Concierge at the hotel will help in planning various outdoor activities. There is a daily parking fee and the hotel doesn't have a/c. There is a ceiling fan and you can open the sliding door for fresh air. If you are sensitive to noise, then I would suggest asking for a room away from the elevators. We could hear the elevators going up and down during the night. Great summer stay! Small beautiful mountain town!

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the town or ski lifts. Also request a room away from the elevators if...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Meredith R, Manager at The Elevation Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Hello Funthoms,

I am happy to hear that you had a great trip to Crested Butte. It sounds like your family embraced all of the fun outdoor activities around the mountain and that you enjoyed your room, as well. Now that you know how beautiful this corner of the world is I hope you will consider visiting again. The only thing more beautiful than Crested Butte in the summer is Crested Butte in the winter! Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I appreciate your business.

Art Thompson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The staff from the very beginning was friendly and helpful-Matt, Aleni, Lawlor and Michael in the restaurant, the guys in the gift shop, everyone , really was helpful and welcoming.
Our room was beautiful and quiet on slopeside and Aleni was happy to accomodate us when we asked for slopeside.
My lack of one click was for the breakfast buffet and for the loudish music constantly played at the restaurant. I would recommend to have fresh fruit on the buffet and silverware other than plastic. And the music could be a little more conducive to eating and digestion.
Other than that, it is a beautiful hotel in an unbelievable setting. Thank you to all! Bee

Hello Blizabeth,

Thank you for your honest review. I will make sure your compliments are passed on to each of the staff members you mentioned. I understand your frustration with the restaurant. Please know that we are actively working on improving 9380 Prime. Meanwhile, I am glad that you had a good stay. I hope you will visit Crested Butte again soon. Our doors will be open!

atlanta
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The hotel is pretty & has a gorgeous back drop of the mountain-apparently the only ski-in, ski-out venue in CB. That's why I say it has a good foundation - the problem is I believe the laid-back attitude of that area affects the service greatly. Also they have to hire very young folks as servers & they just don't have enough life experience to understand what a true traveler is looking for. I gather there is no good training program in place to help with this either.

Pros: 1) they had a 50% off AAA rate (otherwise would have been overpriced) due to lack-luster service 2) view is beautiful 3) restaurant patio is nice w/bar, fireplace & great view 4) rooms are modern w/adequate kitchenette

Cons: 1) parking fee expensive & valet (which we paid extra for) was not available any time Sat that we came in/out 2) the bathrooms are HORRIBLY small (we had a king regular room)-the door opens just shy of the toilet & the sink while cool, leaves no room for toiletries 3) no AC! this one is a killer :( we left our patio door open w/screen in place & used ceiling fan on high to no avail-no air circulation (also there was this nasty water bottle on the patio-probably still there)...the 2nd night we got a box fan which they provide but had to hop around the room (#327) to get it to work due to wiring issue which also made 1 of the beside lamps do a strobe-light thing. Helped some but not much...also at 4:30 a.m. there are these happy birds or bats (couldn't tell which) start chirping very loudly & Fri a.m. there was construction so couldn't sleep well at all (& I had a noise machine on high & still heard all this noise) 4) I asked the housekeeper on Sat to leave the door open & ceiling fan on since it was hot in the room & she left our ROOM door ajar w/the lock thing holding it open :((( I called front desk immediately & she apologize profusely & took off our valet parking charges (which was good since the guy wasn't there Sat) but I was furious that someone could have come in & stolen our stuff! 5) no a.m. room service offered in July (no one mentioned this upon booking or check-in) & this is the main reason I chose this place over the Days Inn in Gunnison. 6) the food quality is decent, though not outstanding; however the servers just don't understand what type of experience folks are looking for.

As I mentioned above, I think they are so used to the laid back attitude of the area, however no one has trained them to understand that this doesn't apply when it comes to customer service, especially at a nice hotel. You can be laid back and still deliver outstanding service. There are other things but I am just pointing out the major ones.

I say all these things in hopes that a manager will take it to heart & work on improving things and not think I am just being a complainer. I used to do event planning & look at all aspects of a property I frequent. I would not recommend someone eat at the restaurant due to the poor service.

1 Thank redatl
Hello Redatl,

I am grateful for your thorough review and I have taken notes so I can address these issues internally. Because of reviews like yours I am able to get a good perspective of what our guests experience at our hotel. Meanwhile, I am happy to inform you that we hired a new Corporate Food and Beverage Director on Monday who is actively working on each of the restaurant issues you mentioned. I absolutely agree with you that even though Crested Butte is a laid-back town, customer service should not reflect that. I can guarantee you that I take reviews seriously so thank you again for writing yours. I hope that you will consider staying at Elevation again so we can prove that we are improving.

ouray,co
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Had a great time, pet friendly, shuttle to town & of course the room was very comfy.
Nice staff when we needed help with anything. Nice drinks, apps & outdoor fire. So I have add more characters to send this review...It was so much fun that we added two days to our stay.
Have I met this? Will you send me a coupon for my next stay? We are thinking about a group of eight this fall....Any deals there???
Thanks!

Room Tip: We did not have a view of the beauty we were around, probably because we had a "dog room"...
Hello Dantat,

Thank you for the awesome review! It sounds like you had a great trip and I am glad you are thinking about returning this fall. We always try to keep our rates reasonable, however, we do run specials from time to time, including great packages so check our website every few weeks. Best wishes until then.

Sandia Park, New Mexico
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I purchased a groupon for 1 night. We were supposed to have a courtyard room but ended up on Gothic street. The room was excellent, comfortable, clean, spacious. There was no air conditioning but the ceiling fan helped. We would have left the sliding door open but the street was noisy. The free town shuttle was an added surprise so we could bar hop in town and not worry about driving. Overall well worth the price; we're already planning another visit to beautiful CB!

Stayed July 2014
Meredith R, Manager at The Elevation Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Hello Fortrumbo,

I'm excited to hear that you took us up on our Groupon offer and that your stay was well worth the price. I know that a hotel is only as good as it's room so I'm happy you thought yours was excellent, despite the courtyard mix-up. Judging by your pictures it looks like you still had an amazing view. I hope you plan on staying with us on your next trip up to Crested Butte. Thanks again for staying at Elevation.

Arvada, Colorado
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Overall, the room was clean and nice. We had a great view overlooking the ski area and lifts. My one dislike was the noise we could hear from the other rooms. It wasn't the the other guest were loud, it was you could hear cabinet doors and drawers closing, etc. We prefer the Grand Lodge which is right next door. We wanted to try the Elevation Hotel just for trying a new place.

Room Tip: Rooms do not have air conditioning, so ask for a room that will not get the afternoon sun. This way...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Hello John,

Thank you for staying at our hotel and for taking time to write a review. I know you have a choice of where to stay when you visit Crested Butte and I am grateful that you chose to stay at Elevation. I am glad you were pleased with your room and your balcony view. Our stunning views of the mountain and close proximity to the ski lifts are always big selling points to our guests. I can guarantee you that we are always looking for new ways to improve and that the next time you are in town you will notice a difference at Elevation. We would be honored to host you again so please consider us for your next trip. Best wishes until then.

Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I purchased a Groupon for a room at the Elevation Hotel & Spa for just an overnight with 2 friends from college and a baby. The hotel far exceeded my expectations! The first person to greet us was a valet who was extremely patient in explaining our options for parking ($15 for self-park, $20 for valet, directions to a nearby free lot) and then graciously helped us with our bags. The room was beautiful! The only complaint I might offer is the door and balcony were small, but I never spent much time in the hotel room anyways - the rest of it was amazingly clean and comfortable. The beds, especially, were really comfortable and I left with the impression everything was new. Oh! I should also mention - no A/C. But, I mean, you're in the mountains, you're fine ;-) We went on a great walk from the hotel (the street is a little busy, but take the sidewalk to the bike path) and to the wine reception/happy hour in the lobby. They allow dogs, so there were a few there, but it felt like a community event! We went to breakfast the next morning - the views were outstanding, the food just "eh" - typical buffet food, so I just thought the $12.95 price tag was a little much, but we figured it was worth it for the patio and ease of walking downstairs to breakfast! All of the staff we encountered were really friendly. Again: highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Meredith R, Manager at The Elevation Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Hello Jenn,

Five stars! Thanks for the glowing review. We work hard to please our customers and it's nice to know when we succeed. I appreciate all of your feedback and I will keep it in mind as we continue to look for ways we can improve. Again, I am glad you enjoyed your trip. I hope you'll come visit again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crested Butte
#2 of 7 in Crested Butte
The Nordic Inn
The Nordic Inn
#1 of 9 in Crested Butte

Been to The Elevation Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!