“Very nice, but something not there for 5 stars”

The Elevation Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Crested Butte
Reviewed 20 August 2014

OK, they will hate me. The place is nice, has comp bathrobes (always a sign of a bit of class, albeit these are the simple terry-cloth type), and of course they try to cater to the fatter cats in Crested Butte--but they are not the Westin in Snowmass, which I just reviewed.

The room is very nice--don't get me wrong. Large LCD TV, wet-bar, suite-style all around. But the carpet is just a bit tired, as are the bathroom fixtures--you know, the stuff that makes the last difference. Classes above my usual haunts in Hilton Garden Inns and the like, but still--I want to try to keep it in perspective and give you an honest review.

This is a wonderful place for most folks who've never been to a Waldorf Astoria or similar, and I'd like to give it 4 1/2 stars in my book. But it's just not up there, especially not with that view that's taken up by hotel infrastructure 2/3s of the way and just a bit of mountain for the last third--and none of it visible from the bed. Good thing I didn't bring some hot mama....

Loved the shuttle bus down to Crested Butte proper. Quite recommendable place.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Meredith R, Manager at The Elevation Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Hello Diving_Cyclist,

Thank you for staying at our hotel and for writing a review. I value your feedback and am grateful for your insight on how we can further improve our hotel. It was a pleasure hosting you while you were in Crested Butte and I hope we will have the opportunity to do so again in the future.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Soooo...this is a big review, as my family of 6 NEVER stay anywhere for an extended period of time due to "cabin fever" that sets in, however, we were so pleased with our stay at Elevation Hotel, that the week seemed to fly by! The views are spectacular, the food was amazing (try the chicken fried steak), the locals are friendly, there was plenty to do to occupy our time. The kids participated in some hiking/biking camps, we took the lift to the top of the mountain and had a picnic. We swam in the pool, sat in the sauna, and toasted smores by the fire pit. We made some great memories! Our rooms were joined, which helped us to spread out. The beds were very comfortable, and we didn't hear much of anything else, as we experienced parents always pack a "white noise maker." Each room had a kitchenette with a convection oven, dishes, and utensils. I totally made us some oven food for dinner a couple of nights, and breakfast treats in the morning. I know that the staff and hotel overall have recently gone through some changes, and I can't wait to see the final product! Keep up the good work! Your future customers will be thankful! :)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Meredith R, Manager at The Elevation Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Hello CadenasMom,

Thank you for your kind words and genuine encouragement. It sounds like you had your hands full as the mom of a big family; I'm glad our hotel was able to make your vacation as smooth as possible for you and your kiddos. We would love to have the opportunity to serve you again soon, so please consider coming back for ski season. That should definitely keep your kids busy! Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Sincerley,

Reviewed 16 August 2014

OK hotel. Huge building that looks almost like a former East German military facility. Nothing good or charming about it. Rooms are spacious, but noise travels. Especially noise from the slamming of all the doors down the hallway. Impossible to sleep. The night we were there the fire alarm went off at 3:35 AM - and we still don't know why. Never slept after the alarm went off.
Annoying to be paying $15-20 additional for parking in the middle of nowhere of Colorado. Restaurant is ok. Coffee there is HORRIFIC. I advise you not to buy it!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Anders874,

Thank you for staying at our hotel and for taking time to write a review. I appreciate your honesty can understand your frustration with the fire alarm. Please know that the alarm going off was an isolated incident, not a normal occurance. We appreciate your business and are grateful that you chose to give our hotel a shot. I hope you were able to enjoy your trip despite your negative experiences at our hotel.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed July 2014. Room was terrific. Comfortable bed..bathroom is small and needed a little repair as tub would not drain. Service was quick and effective. Complaint on service desk, after realizing we had left some clothing items in a drawer we called them. Dustin found our items and said they would be mailed after we gave a Credit card number to pay for them to send the items.
Several days later, no cloths. A total of over 11 phone calls and an email message as requested by the manager Pam detailing the items, we were told after 4 weeks that they were lost...sorry...can't do anything else.
A MAJOR breakdown in communication and responsibility. Especially when they were found in less than 24 hours still in the room we occupied and we gave the CC number to pay for there return. The other issue was being switched upon check in to two different rooms.

Room Tip: Fifth floor was quite.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Meredith R, Manager at The Elevation Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Hello Eltekon,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review to bring my attention to an important matter. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay while you visited our hotel but I absolutely understand your frustration over your lost items. I will address this issue with my staff as to make sure this doesn't happen in the future. Again, thank you for your review. We value your feedback.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We checked in and was offered a slopeside upgrade at $25/day and took it. Then were informed they charge $20/day resort fee and on top of that a $15 self park fee. So study the rates carefully in town to ensure you are comparing apples to apples.

First the room, it seemed newly updated and looked great. It had nice kitchen appliances including a microwave/oven and fridge. The issue we had was after we already unpacked was opening the sliding door and was met by a deafening exhaust sound...We just didnt feel like packing but up again and relocate...Be careful of room location as many 3rd floor rooms have this. This was especially tough at night not being able to open the slider and let the cooler air in.

The location was nice right at the base of the mountain and easy to access the activities. The restaurant downstairs served us well for some meals..The breakfast was a bit high at $16 but sandwiches at lunch were a good value at $10.

My big pet peeve here was the resort fee for the wireless access. There wireless was just awful. Very slow and constant dropping as there were times at night that it wouldn't last 3 minutes before it dropped. I should have asked for a refund of the resort fee as it certainly served no purpose. We actually left a day early so my wife could complete some work since it was impossible without decent access.

Overall, it was a nice hotel with well decorated rooms in a good mountainside location but be careful of the room location, wireless access and the assortment of excessive fees that are charged.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor to avoid the restaurant and exhaust fan noise.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank COTraveler123

Hello COTraveler123,

Thank you for staying at Elevation and for writing a review. We value your feedback and keep it in mind as we work to make positive changes to our hotel. I have read through your honest review and taken notes of what I need to address. I am glad you enjoyed your room, restaurant, and our location. I hope you were able to enjoy your vacation in beautiful Crested Butte despite a few bumps in the road.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Staff was fantastic, lobby and rooms were beautiful, but don't count on having a balcony or a view. They are all fake "balconys" overlooking the roof or other buildings, some with not enough room for one chair. Kitchenettes are really nice and include dishes.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Hello,

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, and I hope you will return. If you do, request a slope-side room because the views of Mt. Crested Butte really are beautiful. I wish you could have experienced them on your recent stay. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel one night and booked it on "flash sale". I'd read some reviews, but I picked the hotel mainly based on price. We went to Crested Butte with the intention of hitting some of the bike trails, so had our mountain bikes with us.

First and foremost, the staff was incredibly helpful from beginning to end. There is a gift shop next to the front desk where we were able to check our bikes in and out (after hours this process happens at the front desk.) Jared, who was checking bikes the afternoon we arrived, got us started with a map of area trails and made some suggestions. When we got to our room, we were delighted to find that the "kitchenette" was just that - it was stocked with everything you need to prepare your own meals for four (minus a hot plate), a sizable mini refrigerator, and a full-size coffee pot. The double queen room was plenty large enough for a traveling family. That evening, we had a stopped up toilet that was fixed within 15 minutes of us reporting it. For dinner, we took the Mountain Express bus down to Crested Butte from Mountaineer Square - a very short, pleasant walk from the hotel. It runs all day and half the night, and it's FREE.

The next morning, while checking out, a few of the staff members helped me set the ball rolling on a return visit for ski season (driving v. flying, when to book, rentals, etc.) My only regret about staying at this hotel is that I didn't stay longer! I was blown away by the customer service, friendliness, and amenities this hotel provides for the price I paid. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 6th floor, courtyard view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Hello Allison,

Five stars! Thank you! I read through your review made notes of all of the things I need to compliment my staff for doing well. I am proud of our friendly, helpful staff because they provide such wonderful customer service to guests like yourself. I'm glad you are considering returning for ski season. Our doors will be open and waiting for you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crested Butte
#6 of 13 in Snowmass Village
Grand Lodge Crested Butte
Grand Lodge Crested Butte
#2 of 7 in Crested Butte

Been to The Elevation Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!