“A Class Act. A+”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Crested Butte
denver, co
“A Class Act. A+”
Reviewed 13 October 2011

The difference between just a hotel and a FINE HOTEL can always be measured by its staff- from the front desk, to housekeeping, to maintenance. While we wanted to stay in town, there were no higher quality hotels down there so we stayed in the sleepy ski mountain town up the hill 2 miles away. The giant hotel next door wasn't even open until ski season.

We were so late for a dinner reservation at arrival and rushed into the lobby like a hurricane. They checked us in ahead of another guest and got us going. Unfortunately NONE of our keys worked. From there, we had plenty of key problems- PLENTY! A housekeeper on each floor heard the commotion and got us into the rooms. The staff explained that due to security issues, they just (that week) replaced the key system, and it's screwing up. It was frustrating but I understand- it was dead season up there and the appropriate time to do the work.

My folks had a beautiful one bedroom suite. It was large, well appointed, and immaculate. The balcony and fireplace added to the ambiance. I was sure that I had booked different room than I received. I came back from dinner and repeatedly asked Martin at the front desk where the murphy bed was that I reserved because I wasn't sleeping on the pull-out sofa. He desk didn't seem to know what a murphy bed was and said they didn't have ANY rooms with one. As soon as I became a little frustrated, Martin noticed and promptly resolved the problem by insisting that my bro and I move to a two bedroom suite. It was nearly as large as my house. I later realized that I was thinking about the hotel next door (which I didn't choose) and felt like a complete dope- in my giant suite. I thanked Martin again, of course.

Check out was fast and efficient. The hotel is next to the slopes, has a pool and all the amenities that one would expect from a ski village hotel. I'd love to stay in the oh-so-cool and authentic legendary town of Crested Butte but it would be hard not to look back here first. The staff is trained perfectly which is why The Lodge is a true fine hotel property.

Darn, nothing's perfect. It was the offest of off seasons. They wanted $20/night to park. Are they crazy!!!! Their lot was empty and it was an insult. I parked a block away for free. I understand it in ski season, but early October in an empty ski village? Shame on them.

Room Tip: top floor, best view. Near front desk part of hotel- there can be plenty of walking.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank denverroadtrip

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Angleton, Texas
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I stayed at this lodge one night during an 8-day photographic road trip of Colorado in early October. I'd never been to Crested Butte before. I used hotels.com to book my room, which was very reasonable because of it being the off-season out there. This place is located in the Mt. Crested Butte Village resort area, 2 miles up from the funky little town of Crested Butte.

I was greeted by a very friendly and humorous front desk manager who gave me not only a location map, but explained a number of other things like parking, dining, etc. For $20 there is a heated, indoor parking garage to keep your car out of the elements (a good thing since it had snowed the night before and was supposed to snow again that night). To enter the garage, you must stop and push a button which spits out a ticket. You must get that ticket validated by the front desk in order to depart the garage without incurring a $40 fee charged to either your room or a credit card. You are also given little orange tickets to insert immediately after inserting the parking ticket, in case you don't get your ticket validated. For me, it was a little problematic because the staff is available during the off-season from 8AM to 8PM, and I left around 7AM (and the orange ticket didn't work, so I had to wait until 8AM after all to talk to the front desk and make sure I wasn't charged the $40 upon exiting the garage).

My room was 309A and it was huge. And clean. The balcony view was wonderful, looking out and down toward the town and the mountains beyond. There is an elevator to take you and your luggage to your floor from the parking garage. Just around the corner from my room was a little lounge with soda and snack vending machines.

The bed was a King size and quite comfortable. The bathroom was also large with more than enough towels and washcloths to go around, as well as the standard toiletries of soaps, shampoo, conditioner, bath gel, lotion, and shower cap.

The television was not a flat screen, but it was large and served my purposes. To the side of the bed is a small desk and lamp - large enough for a laptop. The lodge also provides free WiFi. And there is a small fridge, coffee/tea maker with coffee, tea, powdered creamer, and sugar. Within the closet is a safe and an iron/ironing board. Robes are also available for use and to purchase.

There is an exercise room, pool, and hot tub available as well - I noticed someone in the hot tub during my stay that evening, so it's not one of those things that is open only during the ski season.

Because it was the off-season, none of the shops/restaurants around the resort area were open, and I had to drive the 2 miles back down to the town.

If I am ever able to return to Crested Butte, I will stay in this lodge again, on- or off-season. I'm sure during the ski season, it is definitely a more active, happening place to be.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Stayed at this property because of ratings, availability, location for our agenda. It was fantastic. We were greeted by a very professional, friendly, efficient front desk group of people. The room was like being in a very nice home with great views, fireplace, balcony, granite countertops, excellent beds and pillow, and very spacious and beautiful. It was very comfortable for 4 adults. The bathrooms were clean and spacious. Robes provided.
We ended up staying a unplanned second night with no hassle whatsoever.
The hot tub was crystal clear and clean and the pool was actually heated and perfect temperature for being cool outside. That is a first.
Housekeeping was superb...I forgot my toothbrush and one appeared not even 5 minutes from the time I called the front desk. Also extremely efficient and helpful.
I have nothing but great things to say. It definitely lives up to the 5 rating. I would definitely stay here any time I was in this area and loved the time at Crested Butte. The only negative thing I will say is that there are resort and parking fees added that some people might not understand but it really didn't bother me. The parking was safe, enclosed, and very close to the elevators. And just about every hotel / resort charges fees so just expect that. Thank you for a memorable stay with my family. Went in the off season but if you are a skier you will love the location and this lodge. Highly Recommend.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
home
Reviewed 4 October 2011

will return next summer, first class..........room was very clean and modern, clerks very helpful in suggesting dinner options

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kkk
Kansas
Reviewed 1 October 2011

You know you've come to someplace extraordinary when there is absolutely NOTHING that could be improved upon! That doesn't happen very often. But The Lodge is that kind of place! We'd never stayed there before but were looking for a new and special place to celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary. The Lodge was IT! The hotel is just beautiful, and we were so impressed by how quiet it was, even though our room looked out over the courtyard. I'm sure it's bustling during ski season, but this time of year, it was really surprisingly peaceful and relaxing.

The room was absolutely gorgeous and beyond compare, and Caroline certainly went out of her way to make our stay very special and memorable! Thank you so much!

The scenery, the town and our night at The Lodge will definitely make this anniversary stand out in our minds!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Brenham, Texas
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Have stayed here several times in a 2 bedroom and I am never disappointed. The staff could not be any friendlier and are always there to help. I love having the fireplace.

• Stayed July 2011
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Stayed a couple of nights while in town for the pro bike race. Very nice hotel and great location on the mountain. First room they put me in was overlooking a plaza. The desk attendant told me that was the best I he could do. After getting to my room I called the front desk and a different attendant put me in a much better room overlooking the mountain. Ample parking underneath the hotel.

• Stayed August 2011
#2 of 7 in Crested Butte
The Nordic Inn
The Nordic Inn
#1 of 9 in Crested Butte

Been to Lodge at Mountaineer Square? Share your experiences!