Lodge at Mountaineer Square
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
The Elevation Hotel & Spa(Crested Butte)(Great Value!)
US$193
US$139
  • Pool
Grand Lodge Crested Butte(Crested Butte)(Great Value!)
US$144
US$134
Three Rivers Resort(Almont)(Great Value!)
US$93
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Comfort Inn(Gunnison)(Great Value!)
US$85
ComfortInn
A-B-C Motel(Gunnison)(Great Value!)
US$107
Quality Inn Gunnison(Gunnison)(Great Value!)
US$82
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfull kitchenunderground parkingtwo bedroom condoski vacationwasher dryerfitness centercovered parkingsmall poolgas fireplaceadventure parkanother guestnice roomski schoolliving areathe check in processfree lotfree bus
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 December 2008

First off the lodge is very nice - layout, furnishings, staff, and best of all location. It's a short walk from the ski lifts and there's a ski check on the way so you don't have to bring your skis to/from the mountain. In fact there were many signs that skis were banned from the rooms. We had a studio king room and it was really nice. Comfortable bed, nice furniture, fireplace, kitchen was great for breakfasts and snacks.

The only thing that kept me from giving it perfect marks were because we had a few problems with the place upon arrival. First off the lights in the room were out when we got there. So that caused a couple of visits and about half an hour of our time. Not a huge deal, but still annoying. Second was the DVD player wouldn't work. Found this out one night when we went to watch a DVD. Called the next day and said we'd be out skiing so come fix it. Got home that afternoon and it wasn't fixed so they had a tech come up and do it then. Not sure why it didn't get fixed during the day. Third was our lift tickets weren't at the front desk. So we had to spend the first 30 minutes of our day getting the run around at the resort. Finally got them and all was well after that.

Small things like that are an annoyance and understandable. The staff was nice and did respond to our problems - except about the tickets. In that case they sent us to the nice people at the cb ski resort who at first wanted to send us back to the mountaineer square people. Still everyone was really nice we talked with and did fix our problems.

All in all I'd stay there again in a heart beat. The rooms were quiet, large, and I think a good value.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Brian1111
Reviewed 16 November 2008

My husband & I stayed here for our wedding anniversary 11/14 and 11/15/08; everything was lovely. Heidi at the front desk was especially helpful. When we were passing by the front desk and just happened to ask what time checkout was, she immediately said we could have a late check-out if we wanted. The room was very nice and very clean and very quiet. Couldn't have asked for a nicer stay. My only complaint is the $15 per night parking fee; we were never told there was a parking fee, just handed a parking pass, and there is no parking anywhere for hotel guests other than the hotel, so you are stuck.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2008

Spent Christmas week in 07 at the Lodge just after it opened. Found our condo very spacious, nicely decorated, with all the conveniences of home. Had Christmas dinner in unit - kitchen well equiped to handle a big meal. Staff very friendly and helpful. Location superb, steps from lifts. Wished we'd sprung for the better view of mountain, but the courtyard view wasn't noisy and saved money. As ski area lodgings go, this one is very nice.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank havaneserule
Reviewed 17 February 2008

We decided to head up to CB from Denver for some early season skiing in December to kick off the ski season. We don't normally travel to ski because we have a place in Breckenridge and therefore have easy access to all Summit resorts as well as Vail and Beaver Creek. Our stay at the lodge reaffirmed for us why we don't waste our time traveling.

For the price per night of this place we were shocked to walk into our room to find that it was not clean. Despite the fact that the finishes of the place looked elegant and comfortable a not so closer look revealed that the counter tops had a dried up coffee spill and grease on them, and the stove was not clean. We figured that wouldn't be too bad to deal with, and were going to wipe it up with no hard feelings until I decided to check out the bedroom. Based on my many years of reading TripAdvisor reviews I remembered some fellow travelers finding bedsheets that hadn't been changed. I just had a feeling about this place and went into the master bedroom and pulled back the sheets. Sure enough under the duvet I found rumpled sheets and hair covered pillow cases.

After a few phone calls and a conversation with the hotel GM we were moved to a different room. Low and behold in the new room the countertops were also greasy, but we asked the bellhop to bring us some 409 so we could spiff it up. Everything seemed fine as we tried to settle in. When I went into the bathroom and checked out what seemed to be a luxurious shower I spotted a seriously large hairball on the floor of the shower. There is was in plain view. Anyone who was cleaning the place should have seen that thing. We apparently couldn't win. The next day the management eventually sent the head of housekeeping up with the girl who had apparently cleaned the room, to make it right. At that point we were finding it all rather humorous. It was just baffling because there was no way they could explain away the issue...but they did give us two chocolates for our troubles. (!) Like I said...humorous.

As we prepared to go to bed that night we were so skeeved out about getting into bed that we found another folded fitted sheet in the closet and put it on the bed...just in case the other one wasn't actually clean.

Other amenities were OK. I used the gym both mornings were there. Although on the second morning I found that at 7:10 AM the facility that was supposed to be open at 7:00 AM was bolted up and inaccessible. I looked around for a phone to try to call up to the front desk to see if they could send someone with some keys. But there was no phone. (not sure who came up with the bright idea to not have a phone in the pool area of a hotel...guess they're assuming they'll never have a guest who needs to call for an emergency situation) I had to go upstairs and ask the two staff who were standing in the lobby watching football highlights to come and open the place up. The guy who budged loose thought I needed to be shown to the fitness center rather than let in to the fitness center. So after a trip down there he finally realized that I was telling the truth that it was locked and had to go away again to get a "building engineer" to get a key.

Anyway, I'm hoping that the place was just going through some early season issues that they have worked out by now. The location of the place is great so it has some potential of being great. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I most certainly will not go back and see whether they've straightened things around.

• Stayed: December 2007
3  Thank ht001
Reviewed 14 February 2008

just returned from a very nice stay at Lodge at Mt. Sq., comfy, cozy and great location

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)