“Majestic, but holy .......”
Review of Shelf Road

More attraction details
Owner description: Mostly unpaved, this road travels between Cripple Creek and Canon City and promises outstanding views.
Houston, Texas
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Majestic, but holy .......”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I ended up on this road unintentionally (thanks Verizon!) and was initially somewhat freaked out, but this is actually a beautiful and memorable drive. Apparently constructed in the late 1800's, Shelf Road remains a relic - single narrow lane with some outcroppings for passing - although I would not want any part of having to deal with navigating around an oncoming car. If you have a choice, I would take this drive south from Cripple Creek rather than North into Cripple Creek. That way you can stay on the inside of road in the event of an oncoming car, and you don't have to flirt with the end of your life on the outside path. This road is a must for the thrill seeker.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank P N

Pennsville, New Jersey
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“white knuckle driving”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

My gps took me on this 15 mile single lane gravel road. You cannot turn back once you start as it is at least 500 foot sheer drop, no guard rails. I was looking for a short cut from Canon city to Cripple Creek. Not for the faint of heart!

Visited October 2013
6 Thank U1654FVjohnf
Hays, Kansas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Amazing Views and FREE”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

If you are on the fence about taking the Shelf Road to Canon CIty... Get off and go for a wonderful drive through the back country. I read reviews of people saying that you needed a 4 wheel drive vehicle to take the road, and while I can see that if there was snow or something like that, but this road was more maintained then some others that we traveled on our trip. We took the rd. in a Bonneville which is far from a high clearance 4 wheel drive vehicle and never had a problem anywhere along this route. It took us about 2 hours to make the 14 mi journey, but we stopped along the way several times to take pictures and soak in the scenery. We will be back for this one.....

Visited September 2013
3 Thank Eian W
Dallas, Texas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Amazing Drive”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

The road was single lane with areas that you can pull over to allow oncoming traffic to pass. There are plenty of places to stop and enjoy the view and hike or just walk around. the average speed is 15 to 20 mph, so figure a couple of hours in the car. The scenery was incredible. We only saw 3 other vehicles on the road the entire time. My 3 tween and teen boys loved it. Signs recommended a 4 wheel drive, but it was no problem with our SUV, 2wd. A car could be an issue, but we did see one on the shelf drive. Beware, it is a small road with a drop off on one side. Take it slow and you'll be fine.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank glenn l
Kansas City, Missouri
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Beautiful views”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We took the Shelf Road from Cripple Creek to Canon City. This was one of our favorite parts of our Colorado trip. The scenery was absolutely beautiful. We had been warned that parts of the road could be rough but we made it fine in a Toyota Camry. You do have to be careful going around some blind curves but just go slowly. I highly recommend this route.

Visited July 2013