“Pictures on website are a bit deceiving.”

Imperial Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Cripple Creek
Colorado Springs, CO
“Pictures on website are a bit deceiving.”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We were excited to hear the Imperial had gone through a complete renovation and were excited to see it after first staying there 14 years ago. We were also excited that it was purchased and renovated by the owners of the beautiful Carr Manor.

We were disappointed. The first impression was not the best. We walked in and had to page the front desk staff/waitress in the restaurant to check in. After paying over $300 for our "suite" we walked up expecting a beautiful suite with a jet bath for two (like the picture on the website led us to believe). What we got was a room that was a cold 60• due to an open window in the bathroom. The bath was a single bathtub with a lovely dead wasp in the jets.

The room was much smaller than we expected after viewing the pictures online. The bed was comfortable and huge, but due to no block out shades the room stayed well lit all night. It was nice to feel real carpet on the floor and the room was beautifully designed.

The best part was the shower. Not only was it tiny, it had no shelving and you had to pick up your shampoo off the floor knocking the shower curtain out causing water to run into the toilet area. Not only that, but the hose connecting the shower head was spraying water out of 2 ends.

Needless to say, we were sorely disappointed in the Imperial, especially since we paid such a large amount of money for a "suite."

The room was clean, the towels were soft and plush, the bed amazing, and the decor was beautiful.

Our thoughts were the details seemed to be rushed to get the hotel operational.

• Stayed October 2013
5 Thank biddlesmom08
Dreamer10, Owner at Imperial Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 30 October 2014
We are disappointed as well, the room, as you noted had recently been completed - or perhaps not quite.

The details you mention have been completed with the exception of "Black Out" shades, we have attempted to keep the historic nature of the building to include wood blinds.

It is interesting to note that the "Suite" is now a combination of three rooms in the original hotel.

The "Mackin Suite" is one of our best, and we are sorry you were disappointed - recent guests have raved to us about this room.

We really wish we could have met you when you were here.

With our very best wishes to you in your travels

Gary and Wini Ledford
Owners

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Florida
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed one night here on our anniversary weekend and although it is a historic hotel, pretty when you walk in, the stay is just not what we expected.

The front desk was unattended from the time we checked in and every time we passed by. There are no elevators to the rooms, so if you have bad knees, I would NOT recommend staying here as the stairs are difficult to climb, even for myself and I exercise daily. I think there are only two floors with rooms here and we were in the Max Morath room, it was nice but there is something about this place that made us uncomfortable. The bed was really high off the ground and almost too soft, neither of us slept well. Tossing and turning, makes for a very restless night. The bathroom sink is not in the bathroom but in the room, you do have a private toilet but the water pressure in the shower was very low.

We wanted to have a night cap at the Red Rooster but it was closed when we went around 9ish, although the sign said the hours were from 4-10pm. Seriously the entire hotel was like a ghost town at a quarter to 10pm on a Saturday night! How this place will manage to remain open is beyond me.

I would not stay here again and honestly, they need staff present and available to customers. I never saw other guests, the place is like a ghost town. The only time I saw any staff members was when the restaurant (across the check in desk) was open for dinner. It was really odd to be in a hotel with nobody around. We felt so unwelcomed in this hotel.

Room Tip: Visit the hotel in person first and look at the rooms before you book!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rychedelic
Thank you for taking the time to commenting and you are correct there is no Elevator and as a historic hotel built in 1898, there was no elevator then.

The hotel has been continuous use since that the time and restaurant since 1914 in this building.

You stayed in October and the town's season goes from robust in the summer months nearly nothing starting in October and running to May. We are now only open on weekends as our staff has to perform many jobs.

I am sorry that your experience was not the best, the hotel was 100% refurbished with all new plumbing, electric heat and furnishings in 2011 and 2012. The beds are all Posterpedic mattresses that most of our guests love.

While we cannot always please everyone - it is helpful to get an insight of what our guests think.

With our very best wishes

Gary and Wini Ledford
Owners
castle pines, colorado
Reviewed 4 September 2013

A very nice historic hotel, however no one to ck most of the time if you have a room problem. When we visited it was unusually hot and no AC, room updated, very nice, but problem with sleeping, windows open, no screens , windows not moveable, ceiling fan was big problem, could only keep it on low speed because it was off balance and made terrible noise on high speed, therefore room temp was about 80 even though outside temp was lower.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rita W
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

We just stopped in one afternoon to have lunch. There food was really very good.
They serve Italian food at a good value.
I had lasagna which was quite tastey. My wife had pasta primavera which was good too.
It's historical ambience is also very intriguing. We look forward to returning some time to stay the night.

• Stayed July 2013
Grand Junction, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 4 August 2013

The only negative thing to say is that we only had one night to stay at The Imperial Hotel. Hopefully, in the near future, my husband and I can spend more time here as it is a delightful place to visit. The rooms have been refurbished, and the historic charm still surrounds its guests. We stayed in Room 43 which has a sitting area with a couch (fold-out, I'm sure) and its own flat screen HD television. The bedroom also has a TV with Dish Satellite with a choice of many channels. The bathroom has a combination shower/tub with a wonderful shower head and plenty of hot water. The towels are enormous, soft, and smell like the air after a spring rain. I'm not sure of the thread count on the linens, but it must be at least a thousand. We slept with the ceiling fans on and the windows open. And, yes, it was a wee bit noisy with traffic but well worth the noise. We ate in the Midland Depot which serves Italian food. There were six in our party, and everyone enjoyed what was ordered. There is a bar (Red Rooster) and The Gold Bar Room Theater. That night we enjoyed the music of Mary Kaye Knaphus. Be sure to check their line-up of live music that is regularly scheduled.
And now, the rest of the story . . . the ghost story. I've never believed in ghosts and still don't think I do, but after our stay, now I'm not for sure. My husband and I were in Room 43 and our friend was next door. I'm not sure of that room number. The next morning, we loaded our vehicle and were headed on over to Victor. We stopped to photograph the donkeys in the middle of the street and on the sidewalk in front of the Wild Horse Saloon. I commented on what a good night's sleep I had and asked our friend if he slept well. He replied, "Actually, I didn't. I kept waking up and at one time in the early morning hours, I woke up and thought I saw a man in a straw hat and white shirt standing by my bed. I guess I was dreaming, but it seemed real."
While he was telling his story, I was checking a Facebook Post about a photo I had posted of The Imperial Hotel. The first comment was, "Did you see the ghost ?"
GHOST !?!
Immediately, I told our friend about this question and 'googled':
"ghost Imperial Hotel Cripple Creek."
Sure enough, there is a story about a ghost. It goes something like this:
The Imperial Hotel was built in 1896 as the Collins Hotel and was run by George Long. George married his first cousin. The couples oldest daughter, Alice, was severely mentally disabled and was kept locked in an apartment next to the lobby which is now the Red Rooster Bar.The story goes that Alice hit her father on the head with an iron skillet. George fell down the stairs to the basement, and to his death. Evidently, George still wanders around the place and plays the slot machines after the casino is closed.
Whether the story is true, the coincidence of our friend's story and learning that there are rumors of a ghost traipsing around the place certainly captured our attention.
Even though Cripple Creek isn't on the beaten path, The Imperial Hotel is on our list of places to visit again.

Room Tip: In the summer, raising the windows and using the ceiling fans makes for a delightful atmosphere. The...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kathy S
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Antique furnishings in a historic building with private baths newly installed and personal climate control. Comfortable bed. The staff very warm and friendly. We got a free breakfast that was anything off the menu and were greeted just as genuinely at that cafe.
Parking was easy and close. I can imagine during the summer there may be some noise outside, but during the winter everyone was shuttling between buildings as fast as they could, so it was super quiet.
No complaints! We'll be back again.

Rooms are not large, this is characteristic of buildings from this time period, this does not bother myself or my fiance. When we go to the casino we're not planning on spending time in our rooms other than to snuggle down for a good night's sleep and wake up to a sound breakfast to shake off the mild hangover. If a small room puts you off this may not be the place for you.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Erin W
colorado
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I must say, it if wasn't for a super friendly and hard working housekeeper I would have given this hotel a major thumbs down. We stayed here this past weekend, but sadly we were given the smallest room. It was like staying in a closet with a toddler size bed and decor that looked like it had been given all the left over pieces parts from the other rooms!! However, the gal we ran into kindly showed us some of the other rooms. They were all fantastic!! The decor, the comfort, the bed sizes, even the bathrooms were all really amazing!! My best piece of advice, if you stay here, do NOT under any circumstances let them put you in room 45!!!! And, word of advice to the owner, Big Jim, if you want to attract more guests to your property, why in the world would you ever put anyone in that room?! If it wasn't for your staff member showing us those other rooms I would have trashed your property thinking that was all there was!

Room Tip: The best room to be had is 43, the worse is 45 but from what we say, all the rooms but 45 were gorge...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
The Cliff House at Pikes Peak
The Cliff House at Pikes Peak
#1 of 10 in Manitou Springs
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Grand Hotel & Spa
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Gr...
#4 of 105 in Colorado Springs

Been to Imperial Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!