“Nice view”

Gold King Mountain Inn
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We have stayed at this Inn before and enjoyed our stay both times. It sits on the upper most hill in Cripple Creek and if you are lucky enough to get a room on the back of the inn, you will have a lovely view of Cripple Creek. The room and facilities were clean but were a little surprised the toilet lid was too small for the stool. They are doing some updating so maybe that will change. I just wish Inns, hotel, etc. would stop using the smelly stuff in the rooms. My husband has asthma and this really sets his asthma off. We slept with the window open so it would eliminate the smell.

The staff was extremely helpful and pleasant. I would recommend this inn. If you stay here you get a free breakfast buffet at the Maverick restaurant which is just down the hill. They have complimentary shuttle service to the buffet and downtown if you prefer to leave your car at the inn.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Connie J

Reviewed 9 July 2013

I was a little skeptical about the idea of the hotel up the steep hill from the Wildwood Casino. They have shuttles, but we had our own car and didn’t need the shuttle.
We couldn’t check into our room until 3pm. Normally that would be fine, but this time due to our personal situation we wanted our hotel room earlier. They were able to accommodate our request and we checked in at 12:30 ish. We were pleasantly surprised to see how nice and updated our room was. It had a refrigerator and a microwave along with the normal amenities.
Two buffet breakfasts came with the room. Maverick’s Restaurant is located in the Wildwood Casino. I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of food they had on the buffet. Also, there was a chef making made-to-order Omelets and Belgian waffles. A Full ham the chef would cut to your liking. To top it all off, they have a self-serve Schwan’s ice cream machine. When you are on vacation you can have ice cream for breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darcie L
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I was disappointed in the quality of the hotel. I can understand a stain on the carpet, but in a room with two beds, but both comforters had stains and were dirty. When I spoke to the desk they said, " I will let housekeeping know." It could have been a bad day for the housekeeping staff, but I think for the price it should have been better.

On a good note, the shuttle service was great! They took us wherever we wanted to go, even went out of their way looking for the donkeys.

I guess you get what you pay for. All the hotels on the "strip" were full and this it what was left. Make your reservations early.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank gsmithok
Reviewed 19 June 2013

There doesn't seem to be many places to stay in Cripple Creek and you get what you pay for. Yes, the hotel is remodeling, and yes it is older. However, the staff could not have been more gracious, from the shuttle drivers to the front desk staff. Rooms were spacious and comfortable and very clean. Breakfast was quite good, and the location is a great base for exploring the area, from Pikes Peak to the Royal Gorge. Wildwood Casino was fun, and the drivers are very prompt to pick you up for breakfast, for gambling, or from most anywhere in town. I honestly don't think you could go wrong with a stay here. Staff was very accomodating about things to do in the area; city park is great if you have kids with you, and the train ride in Cripple Creek was fun.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank traveler476
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I loved the management n front desk women, very accommodating!!!!! Housekeeping seems to be on top of things!!! But their maintenance sucks, n they don't know their butt for a hole in the ground!!!!couldn't fix the problems in my room, I think his name was James n the other was Chris??? Then I go to breakfast n I wouldn't feed it to my Rottweilers, made me sick for two days!!!! Hotel n staff was excellent!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank urdaddybear
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We just stayed two nights at the GKMI. The staff was absolutely wonderful in meeting or exceeding our needs.

The hotel property looks old(er) and could use some upgrades. The room was clean and very comfortable, but again, the contents could use some upgrading.

The hotel is associated with the Wildwood Casino (about 2 minutes drive from the hotel) and all guests receive complementary breakfasts at the casino's restaurant. The food is good and the price is great.

We booked this hotel because it accepted dogs ($20/per night additional fee) and was described as having a convenient "Garden Area" area for "walking" pets. Unfortunately, the area is stone/pebble based and devoid of any grass area for the pets to walk in. It looks like it hasn't been touched since the hotel opened and isn't a friendly place or man or "beasts".

We found the town park to be a wonderful place for dog walking and visited it daily. We'd strongly recommend this area for anyone staying in Cripple Creek with their dog.

Overall, the stay was very good, and we'd stay there again. But the hotel will need to be updated soon, before it gets too old.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2013

If you have a dog and like to swim and like to workout and want a hotel convenient to Cripple Creek gambling and like nice people and good food, this is the place for you. "Kat" the receptionist we dealt with was more than accommodating with all our requests. The hotel allowed and "Kat" actually encouraged having our dog in the room. The indoor swimming pool was nice. The workout room was well stocked, though not in an optimum state of repair; though "Kat" accepted our criticism of the weight room gratefully; I'll tell you about it after our next stay, and there WILL be a next stay. Though it is a good uphill walk back to the hotel from Cripple Creek, the shuttle took care of us and the driver was a very good natured person.

Room Tip: This is the place to stay in Cripple Creek if you travel with pets.