“Not a bad value, but tired”

Gold King Mountain Inn
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a night. The front desk people were really friendly, both when making the reservation and in person. It's also the only pet friendly hotel in town we could find and was clean. It was also very quiet, especially for a ground floor room.

However, it's seen it's better days. Bathroom fan was very noisy, as was the whine out of the shower spigot. The bed was very hard and, although we were in a non-smoking room, the pillows smelled heavily of cigarette smoke. The curtains were off the rods enough that we couldn't get them to close all the way, leaving us open to ground floor peepers. Until another Cripple Creek hotel becomes per friendly, we'd stay here again. But probably not afterward. The "three" rating is because it was only $80 and we could bring our dog.

Stayed: April 2014

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I called in asking to be transferred to a room that my friend was staying in and the lady at the counter was rude to me stating that she couldn't do that for privacy reasons...well I thought that would've been fine..except she said it in a rude manner as if I was supposed to know that..well I used to be a customer at this place..but not after going through that over the phone with someone who doesn't seem to know how to talk to people..I hope this place really decides to teach these people they have working for them some manners..by the way it all happened on 3/29/14 at 630pm..Hope she gets FIRED!!!

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I usually don't stay overnight in Cripple Creek since it is only about 75 minutes from my home, but a recent, unexpected snow storm changed my plans. The Wildwood Casino (which is my favorite in town) was kind enough to arrange for a complimentary room for me for the night.

This hotel is what you find in many of the mountain communities. It was originally a Holiday Inn Express several years ago, but was taken over by the Wildwood and became the Gold King.

Check in was easy and pleasant. The common areas were pleasing but basic. I did notice that some of the common areas were not quite as clean as they could have been. Not horrible but not great. When I arrived on the second floor I noticed there was a hole in the ceiling about half way down the hall. I am not sure how long it has been there and hope it is just open for maintenance and not permanent. The hallway is very basic with indoor/outdoor carpeting. Again, not much different than what you find in Mountain hotels and ski resorts because of the snow being brought in on people's feet.

I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into my room. While a bit dated, the furnishings were visually pleasant and the room was clean (even the carpet, which is a pet peeve of mine in a lot of hotels). The TV was an older style (not flat screen), but it worked well.

Checkout was a breeze and the room (even though comped) included a breakfast buffet back at the Wildwood (another chance to get you to gamble!!)

Overall, this is not a luxury hotel (there are none in Cripple Creek), but was very comfortable for a night's stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 November 2013

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. Stayed here for one night. The motel is not clean and smells like a stale ashtray. When we got our card statement, the hotel charged us for smoking in a non-smoking room. If we were smokers we would have stayed in a smoking room, but since we are not, we chose non-smoking. Called management - "Jill" - and was told that they had proof that we smoked and would not remove the charge. My opinion is-this hotel has a racket going and is charging guests knowing full well that the charges will not be reversed. Very disappointed with how the charge was handled and I highly recommend staying at the Double Eagle or anywhere but here. Also reported to the BBB.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kris_1225
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I was here for 4 day conference. I was originally booked at the Double Eagle Hotel and Casino, but I gladly gave up my room there and found myself at the Golden King Mountain Inn. I'm so happy I made the move! My stay here was very pleasant. Staff is very friendly and accommodating. The place is older but very clean. They have courtesy shuttle at your beck and call, which made it nice to get around everywhere. They are paired up with the Wildwood Casino and have complimentary breakfast at Maverick's at the Wildwood. Best free buffet breakfast I've had. Great selection. Only downfall of this hotel is they have smoking rooms (all the hotels here do) so there is smoke smell present always.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 August 2013

WE thought we would have a nice stay in a jacuzzi room but when we settled down that night with a nice glass of champagne and the fireplace going, for a romantic evening I noticed a ring around the jacuzzi. Got up and turned on the lights and the tub was filled with nasty rusty scummy water. Even the shower was nasty. We learned they had flushed the pipes recently and the water would be nasty. My question was why did you let us rent the jacuzzi if we couldn't use it. The ladies at the front desk just blew me off. Then my husband called the general manager not to ask for a refund but maybe just to charge us for a regular room. He made all kinds of promises to us that he would refund our all our money, give a free night at the inn and a free dinner at the buffet, and ask if I had a players card. I assume to put points on it. That was June 30th-July 1st. WE still have not recieved anything from this hotel and have talked to the General Manager 5 times with the same promise. I did not find the rooms very clean, they were pretty dusty. The staff is allowed to smoke outside the front entrance so we had to walk through their smoke. We even had to close our window because (i won't say staff because I did not see who was smoking) of cigarette smoke coming in from outside. So needless to say, (I will stop short of caling the general manager a liar), but he certainly not good for his word.

Room Tip: Make sure they have not flushed the pipes if you stay in a jacuzzi room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phyllis P J W
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We have stayed at this location three times now and have had very good experiences with them. The rooms are average but very comfortable with wonderful views overlooking the town from a high point. The shuttle is always accessible to get into town if you do not want to drive in (it is just down the hill but parking can be a bit difficult in Cripple Creek at times) so the shuttle is a good way to get around in town. The drivers are friendly and generally very prompt. The hotel is connected with the Wildwood Casino, which has a great breakfast and dinner buffet at the Maverick restaurant.

Room Tip: We liked the rooms facing south over town.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 10 in Manitou Springs
The Outlook Lodge
The Outlook Lodge
#1 of 2 in Green Mountain Falls

Been to Gold King Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!