“Older Renovated Property”
Review of Hotel St. Nicholas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cripple Creek
Hotel St. Nicholas
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Cripple Creek
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My husband and I took a motorcycle trip to Cripple Creek, CO last week. it was our first visit to Cripple Creek, with a side trip up Pike's Peak. I had researched several hotels in Cripple Creek on Trip Advisor and decided on the Hotel St. Nicholas because of it's price and location away from the gambling area two streets down from the hotel. We just thought it would be a quieter location, but still within walking distance of main street. Cripple Creek is a very interesting town that is currently having major roadwork done. The area is very hilly and there are steep inclines/declines everywhere - so if you are planning to walk the town, you'd better be in shape, given the 9494' altitude. You might quickly find yourself stricken with altitude "sickness" which can be bothersome and pretty much ruin your vacation. The good news is that there is a free trolley that cruises the streets and will pick you up and take you wherever you want to go, if you flag them down. We toughed it out and walked the town at least 5 times during our 2 day stay. The Hotel St. Nicholas is a converted children's hospital that is said to be haunted, though we didn't see any ghosts or experience any strange happenings. There are 15 nicely decorated rooms in the hotel - some with shared baths, some with private baths and others with a bathroom down the hall. There are 3 floors to the hotel. I would suggest you stay on the top floor for a bit quieter stay - unless you are physically unable to climb steps - because there is no elevator The desk clerk when we arrived was named Katherine, and she is just a gem. She had just started working at the Hotel 30 days prior, and she is a major asset to the place. We had a minor medical issue with my mom back home - and she went to great lengths to make sure the paperwork that we needed to send to her doctor was printed and delivered in a timely manner. She also knows a great deal about the property and has a very pleasant attitude. We stayed in room 18 on the 3rd floor - a king sized room. There is a full bath, a TV and a small armoire for your clothes. The room, linens and bathroom are very clean. Be aware, there are not many electrical outlets in the place, so plan your device recharging carefully. The Hotel has an outdoor hot tub and a dry sauna on the 2nd floor. The hot tub is clearly visible from room 18's window - so when folks get noisy and frisky out there - it may wake you up! The water pressure is good and there is ample hot water. Our room had a wonderful view of the city, which is very quaint and picturesque. If I was to return to the Hotel St. Nicholas, I would not stay in room 18 ONLY because of the hot tub antics outside the bedroom window late in the evening. A continental breakfast is served each day in a pretty room on the first floor across from the check in desk. There is also a small bar, called "The Boiler Room" that is frequented by locals and very friendly bartenders. We met Kurt and Don - the bartenders the two nights we were there. The drinks are cheap and the atmosphere is cool and historic. I would recommend this hotel. It is less expensive than those downtown and definitely worth a visit.

Room Tip: Room 7 is very pretty and has a nice sun room attached to it. All the rooms are quaint. I've h...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed at the hotel on a Week night. The bar was not open so that was a Hugh disappointment based on the reviews we read about the bar. The flooring and stairs have lots of squeaks and groans so you hear anyone coming and going. If you get a room with the window above the door the light comes in so if you like a dark room to sleep in I would not recommend. Also if you like to sleep with the window open for fresh air, forget it because the windows do not open. The layout of the room we stayed in is poor. If you are watching the TV very difficult to get to the bathroom without climbing over the bed The hotel is supposed to be historic but no information about the history is in the hotel. The continental breakfast left a lot to be desired. A positive note the hotel and room was clean.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Carol S
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We had a great time at the St Nicholas hotel. The staff was great and the old boiler room turned bar was very cool. The hotel was kinda creepy but comfortable. I thought it was peaceful in fact though my wife had trouble sleeping. Would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2014

First sight of this place is fabulously creepy, but inside it's charming. Rooms are sparkling, staff is friendly and easy going. So much wonderful history here. It's interesting to read up on the past of this fun hotel. Wish we had gone into the Boiler Room bar when we came back from the casinos, but we were tired. Summer visitors should be aware there is no air conditioning. Free breakfast is good. I didn't experience any "spirit" activity but my husband felt something brush the back of his neck when he got up in the middle of the night.

Room Tip: Room 11 is supposed to be the most haunted-- it was the operating room in this former hospital.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The St. Nicholas was built as a Catholic hospital in 1893 and sometime after the 1970s was refurbished and converted into a hotel. These conversions are never smooth, which showed in our room, which was oddly shaped, resulting in some tight spots. On the other hand, it was clean and appropriately furnished. The bed was not quite as hard as we like and the bathroom mirror is terrible for shaving. There is coffee in the room and continental breakfast, but no fridges or hair dryers. The hotel is just two blocks from Main Street, with its line of casinos, but when you are returning the two blocks are straight up! The St. Nicholas is managed by a fun couple. Don runs a small, convivial bar, with unbelievably low prices (e.g., two gin and tonics and two beers for $15), but be forewarned--he will inflict bad jokes on you whether you want them or not.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2014

On a hilltop overlooking the town, we had a lovely night here in June. Outside the casino boundary, it is quaint, quiet and charming. No pool or restaurant (except continental breakfast), but a fine step back in time.

Room Tip: We had Room 8, with a private bathroom down the hall. Fine for us and a little less expensive, as w...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jazzyalan
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I stayed there last month to go visit a friend who was working in Cripple Creek. The place is very antique and scary looking, but it was nice. The only negative reviews I have on this hotel is that the house cleaning is bad. I was looking for my shoe and noticed that under the bed was completely full of dust! Made me sick to my stomach and a good thing I noticed it on the day I was checking out or I would have chosen another hotel. Who knows what else wasn't cleaned!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
The Cliff House at Pikes Peak
#1 of 10 in Manitou Springs
20 mi away
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Grand Hotel & Spa
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Gr...
#5 of 104 in Colorado Springs

Been to Hotel St. Nicholas? Share your experiences!