“Wonderful hotel, great service”
Review of The Windsor Hotel

The Windsor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Del Norte B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I was on my way to visit my brother in Durango, got caught in a snowstorm west of Del Norte and had to turn back. The Windsor Hotel caught my eye as I drove east and it looked so inviting from the outside that I did a u-turn and stopped for the night. I'm used to funky historic hotels in New England--this hotel is elegant, not funky, and I loved it. Large room, very comfortable bed, cozy bar, and the nicest and most helpful innkeepers. If it hadn't snowed, I would have missed a great experience. I'm thinking of an excuse to go back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Peg D

Reviewed 29 October 2013

It was an exciting stay for us as it was the off season (Oct. 26th) and we had the hotel to ourselves (Thought maybe the Ghost would appear) except for the manager who stayed in one of the other rooms. Wonderful bed, bathroom and more. Given the size of the town, we ate in the Hotel Dining Room and I must say after being on the road from Santa Fe to Durango and eating at so many places, this was one of the very best gourmet meals we had. Wonderful people who run the hotel and willing to share the history. Definitely stay at The Windsor if you are in Del Norte. Nice Western Shop right next door as well. We were heading back towards Colorado Springs and the owner gave us a wonderfully scenic route to travel. Thanks so Much for Your Hospitality.

Room Tip: Our corner room on the second floor was a south west corner. I got the most amazing Sunset Pictures...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kenyagirl247
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My wife and i stayed here 2 nites the first week of October.We had read reviews of this hotel
on Trip Advisor so we expected something nice-what we got was better than nice.This is simply
a fantastic place to stay-an old,old building wonderfully restored by local folks and extremely
well maintained.The rooms are very clean and nicely appointed-the beds are about the best
you will find anywhere.We dined twice at the Windsor-wow-these folks can cook-fine dining
great service,and all at a most reasonable price.The management and staff are all very
attentive,friendly, and anxious to please.This is just a great place in a great little town!
We hope to return someday.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ghouck
Reviewed 13 October 2013

This is a completely restored historic hotel and restaurant about halfway between Denver and Durango. It is also on the same side of the pass as Wolf Creek Ski Area, which is about 40 minutes away. I stayed two nights at the hotel in early October 2013. As a small boutique hotel the service from the staff was attentive and very personable. My room was large and clean and included many nice amenities. The bed was very comfortable. The complimentary wireless internet was easy to use and quite fast. The room did not have its own coffee maker, but there was a nicely stocked coffee/tea Keurig station and seating area just down the hall. My only other complaint is that my room's bathroom was a little small; I guess one downside of staying in an historic building. It was however clean and nicely furnished with towels and other necessary amenities. I had several meals at the hotel's elegant restaurant. The food was excellent, of the sort you would expect to find in a nice restaurant in a large city but without the high city prices. The hotel also has a great bar adjacent to the restaurant. It was well stocked with local/Colorado beers and spirits. The excellent bartender made wonderful cocktails.

Room Tip: I highly recommend stopping by Three Barrel Brewing company just a short walk down the block for gre...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Carl S
Reviewed 26 September 2013

My husband and I stayed two nights at the Windsor Hotel and were pleasantly surprised. The room was large, clean and decorated with antiques from the period. I had two contracts to be signed and scanned and Steve, the General Manager said he could help me. He drove to the Organic Peddlar, a mile down the road, where we were enjoying a delicious breakfast. Hashbrowns incredible. Steve brought me the contracts, I signed them and he took them back to the hotel, scanned them and my business was done to enjoy the rest of the town and beautiful scenery. The cycling is amazing around here, so would definitely recommend staying at the Windsor Hotel for a few days and check it out. The Three Barrel Brewery is around the corner with great beer and margarita pizza.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Veggietime
Reviewed 25 September 2013

In mid-September 2013, my family group of 8 dined at the elegantly restored Windsor Hotel in Del Norte Colorado. Among the 8 of us, 7 different entrees were ordered and all 7 were outstandingly prepared and attractively served. We couldn't have been more pleased with the dinners. We did not stay at the hotel but the owner/manager gave us a tour and it is truly an outstanding hotel, beautifully restored and decorated to reflect its era and even with 'Genuine 1876 Flat Screen TVs' in each room, along with WiFi and air conditioning. Highly recommended both for its accommodations and its dining room.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bill M
Reviewed 25 September 2013

On a southern CO trek, my friend and I stayed in Del Norte for two nights at the completely redone 1874 Windsor Hotel. We can recommend this hotel without exception. Extremely comfortable double beds, nice sized room, small sitting area, good shower, nice furnishings, wifi, large flat screen TV, desk. Everything is new, (except lovely antiques about the property) and done in subdued western period. We were given a tour by event coordinator, Jill, and, as a result, really appreciated all that has been done to save the Windsor, literally hours away from the wrecking ball. (It is now a non-profit, owned by the local historical society.) The restaurant, currently open for lunch and dinner, is excellent. They also have a nice, separate bar area. Complimentary coffee was available in the lounge area. The Management is extremely friendly and helpful. We hope they do well as this historic property deserves to live another hundred and forty years!

Room Tip: The double bed rooms appear to be the largest. However there is also an extra large king bed suite...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
#4 of 4 in Monte Vista
Rio Grande Motel
Rio Grande Motel
#3 of 4 in Monte Vista

Been to The Windsor Hotel? Share your experiences!