“Very poor performance - Grade F”

Hyatt Place Denver/Cherry Creek
Ranked #29 of 157 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersBronze level
Denver, Pennsylvania
“Very poor performance - Grade F”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

1. I turned in some dry cleaning items for "same day" service. I got back to the room at 8:00 PM and looked for my dry cleaning. The front desk informed me that the laundry did not go out because "there were a lot of new trainees". I have traveled for over 35 years and never experienced missing my laundry.
2. Last night I visited the "bar" and tried to order a glass of wine. After a few minutes of waiting to be served I had to go around to the front desk (15' away) and see if one of 4 young men could serve me.
3. I also observed that a party of 8 people, after ordering light snacks, had to also go out to the front desk to have their service continued. None of the 4 seemed concerned.
4. This is mind-blowing. The following morning I observed that no one had picked up my wine glass from the night before.
I would give this hotel a "F" grade. However, please note that the housekeeping staff were very thorough and competent.
Trust me--- do not stay at this one!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Thomas L
sean k, Manager at Hyatt Place Denver/Cherry Creek, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
We apologize for the poor experience you had with us. While it is true we were in the process of training several new people it is no excuse for how things were taken care of. We will have a staff meeting to discuss these issues. Again we apologize.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Missoula, MT
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This former Loews is quite a ways from downtown, but has great connections to most places in town. It feels like it is located in a business park where there is ample parking, lots of chain restaurants nearby, and two bus-stops and a 7-11 within a block.

My room was quite satisfactory, spacious, with a large King bed, flat-screen TV, couch and lots of drawer space. The work desk is small and the internet can sometimes slow down (presumably with heavy use). The bathroom is large enough, but the water pressure was cutting in and out on three of my mornings. The fan in the bathroom is permanently on, quite noisy but the bathroom door muffles most of the sound. The overhead light was out and never replaced.

The breakfast area is quite large, with a variety of seating options. While the free hot breakfast doesn't start until 6.30am on the weekdays, the fruit/cereal/toast/juice/coffee is available beforehand. I felt the breakfasts were good, but they hardly change from day to day.

But, where this hotel falls down is in the service. It started badly for me when I checked-in with both of the staff sitting on top of the front desk, chatting. They then informed me I was just staying overnight when I had a full week stay booked. They acknowledged I was a 'member', but not that I was top-tier with Hyatt and not thanking me for my business. Nor was I offered the usual welcome amenity. Most mornings and evenings I was not greeted as I entered or left the hotel.

Housekeeping was spotty. I was skipped all together one day, missed getting my daily paper on Tuesday, didn't have dirty glasses cleaned one day, and they kept changing my towels even though I hung them up for re-use. The smudges and fingerprints on the window were never cleaned.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
sean k, Manager at Hyatt Place Denver/Cherry Creek, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
I apologize for the less than adequate service you received. We apparently need to do some more training with our staff. We will take care of this immediately as this is unacceptable. I hope you will consider us again in the future and that your experience with us will be much improved. Thank you for staying with us.
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Booked through hotels.com the Hyatt had an issue where they over charged my card on file for incidentals when the rooms had been pre paid. I now have charges on my card for the value of the room that should not be there. I have called the hotel along with my business associates several times to get our cards cleared and they have given no explanation as well as shown no inkling of motivation to return our funds. The message is clearly not being passed along between shifts because when we call its like starting over again when they try to say the charges totaling 300+ dollars are for incidentals. Avoid this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
I apologize for the confusion with your billing, we will devise a better system of communicating between shifts and make sure these kinds of frustrations are avoided in the future. Thank you for staying with us and know that we will be making some changes to prevent this sort of thing.
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a week and had a very nice stay. Room was very clean with a desk, sitting area, king bed, and bathroom with large walk-in shower. Had computers for guest use with printers. Nice breakfast every morning. Coffee and tea in room. Our room did not have an adjoining room and noise was not a problem. As with all hotels with interior hallways, you do hear guests in halls when passing your door (Hint: Keep voices down when walking and talking in halls as to be considerate of other guests in all hotels). Limited but good selection of foods available 24/7 at hotel. Location was very convenient to Downtown Denver and highways. Close to Aquarium, Coors Field, Botanical Gardens, Zoo, Capital, Denver Art Museum, Cherry Creek Mall, and much more. We will return in the future.

Room Tip: Stayed on 3rd floor and it was very good but view would be better on higher floors.
Green Features: Has option to keep towels to reuse and changes sheets every 3 days unless requested sooner. Offers credit for hotel foods if you choose to not receive housekeeping on any day other than check out day.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of our hotel and we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. I hope we see you with us again in the near future, we enjoyed having you.
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel because of the location, and I don't know if its because its "new" but its terribly understaffed. I asked for a crib and had to go down and get it after 40 min. Of waiting, there is no bell boy and the people that are there are not very well trained. (Except for the manager who was ok).
The rooms are nice, I hope they get better fast!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank D_traveller_19
We were understaffed for a while but we have been training new promising people over the past couple of weeks. We hope you will stay with us again and we are sure you will have a much better experience.
Palisade, Colorado
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed here several times recently. Very friendly staff. Good accommodations and clean. Very centrally located in Denver. Lots of good restaurants nearby. Wish they had a parking garage but there is a large lot adjacent.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
sean k, Manager at Hyatt Place Denver/Cherry Creek, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Happy to hear that you had a good stay with us and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and it's surroundings. We hope we can be of service to you in the near and distant future.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Trying to use their Internet is near impossible other than for some basic emails. This was despite myself and others complaining about it. A real no-no in today's connected world.

Then you have the building creaking all day and night and if that isn't enough the walls are so paper thin you can hear everyone in the other rooms or when people are talking in the passageway.

Rather a pity as the neighbourhood is good and in easy walking distance to food, shops etc. also the staff are great!

With non existent Internet you really are not a good destination I am afraid.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Roy00000001
We apologize for the issues you had at our hotel. We are looking for ways to get rid of the creaking noises that you are hearing, It has to do with the temperature change when we go from night to day and vise versa. As for the internet we will look into options to help speed up the connection.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Denver
Hampton Inn and Suites Denver-Cherry Creek
Courtyard Denver Cherry Creek
Hilton Garden Inn Denver Cherry Creek
Residence Inn Denver Cherry Creek
Fairfield Inn & Suites Denver Cherry Creek
Holiday Inn Denver - Cherry Creek

Been to Hyatt Place Denver/Cherry Creek? Share your experiences!