“Cute as a button, just a little gurgly.”
Review of Holiday Chalet

Holiday Chalet
Ranked #7 of 11 Denver B&B and Inns
SoCal
“Cute as a button, just a little gurgly.”
Reviewed 29 January 2009

Very cute place! This is a big old Victorian place that was formerly efficiency apartments, converted to a B&B over 50 years ago. My room had a full kitchen, a turrety room area with table and chairs, a claw-foot bathtub, and a desk with fast free wi-fi. The breakfast menu included 5 or 6 hot items from pancakes to quiche, with cereals and breads/muffins and fruit, juices, coffee and tea. The hot fare was not gourmet fancy, but everything I had was good. There were tables and chairs in a garden area on the grounds which look like they'd be very inviting in spring/summer.

Another reviewer mentioned the iffy location. Colfax E is definitely a funky part of town - there are a lot of bars and quite a number of wandering lost souls. But there are also some very cute trendy artisan/craft shops, good eats, and about 8 blocks away is the awesome Tattered Cover bookstore's Colfax location and a great record shop. (The mother ship store is downtown) It's an easy one-bus ride into downtown on the RTD route 15, the stop is just across the street. One night I took a taxi back from downtown and it was about $8. I am a single woman traveler and I did not feel unsafe at all walking around the neighborhood, but I am used to an urban environment.

I did have two small gripes about the place. First, the window coverings in my room (I don't know if all the rooms are like this) were lace curtains. Didn't give me a feeling of privacy from the house next door, and it did nothing to block out street lights. Second, my visit was in winter during a cold snap, and the Victorian radiator plumbing was very noisy. Lots of gurgling, and the steam valve covers rattled like a locomotive throughout the night. The knobs to turn the rads off had been painted so often they didn't really turn very well. This of course would not be an issue during warmer months.

I wouldn't normally stay at a B&B for a business event but as it happened my meetings started after 10am so I had time to enjoy the breakfast. I thought it was a good value and I enjoyed staying there.

• Liked — Decor, ambience
  • Disliked — Loud plumbing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Northglenn, Colorado
Reviewed 7 November 2008

All in all we thought this place was great. We stayed on the first floor right next to an exterior door and the kitchen, to accomodate my elderly mother and our dogs.The staff was very friendly and helpful. The guests were interesting and friendly. The food was great. We had a 3 room suite which for the 3 of us (one night we had a fourth) was perfect. There was a refrigerator and they didn't object to our use of the kitchen for cleanup and miscellaneous. Lots of dishes came with the suite. It was clean and nicely decorated. The only downside was the street people in the neighborhood. We were never bothered or panhandled, so they were not a problem. Their presence can be disquieting, but you get used to it . The TV was strictly airwaves - no cable or satellite. For the convenience, charm, comfort, friendliness, nearness to everything in Denver and the price for a downtown location, we felt it couldn't be beat. http://www.denver-bed-breakfast.com/

• Liked — spacious, clean attractive decor, convenient to downtown & Cheesman Park
  • Disliked — somewhat seediy neighborhood
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 23 September 2008

So if you like bacon, you will probably love the Holiday Chalet because the entire kitchen smells like it and wafts through the house every morning, which is nice, except when you don't like smelling pig-y for the rest of your day.

Let me also point out for unsuspecting travelers that this place is located next to a liquor store. Which is conveniently located next to a bar. Which also happens to be a bus stop. Listen, you get the picture - this isn't a place I'd take my grandma.

The rooms are okay, mine was on the third floor, away from the crazies on the street - stay off Colfax! - and it had a full kitchen, which was quaint. It was clean and the bed was comfortable. It was great in that original maroon carpet and paintings that probably left visible squares in the paint should they be moved charm. Okay, I don't really call that charm - it's more like a tragedy.

The girl checking me in told me to the call the police if anybody gave me trouble and not to walk alone after dusk or in any alleyways. Point taken. I did anyway (not the alley part), and I was okay, but it wasn't the sort of FUN thrill you get when you're doing something dangerous. No, definitely not fun. More like bob and weave, and take the side door.

Then she ran my credit card for the full amount before even showing me the room.

The girl microwaving breakfast couldn't tell me how to get onto the freeway. "I'm not that good with the streets," she said. Luckily there were lots of people on the streets who were good with them. Maps helped, too.

It's close to Cheesman Park. That's one good thing.

Final note of discouragement: the owner inexplicably has black and white photos of herself in various poses for you to admire over breakfast. I don't know about you, but I think narcicissm can only do well in the bathroom, not over frozen morning quiche and lukewarm tea.

This place is cheaper than other B&Bs in Denver for a reason. Stay at the Capitol Hill Mansion and pay for quality.

I didn't really like the Holiday Chalet much.

Stayed September 2008
1 Thank BackpackGirl
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2008

My wife and I had 2 enjoyable nights at the Holiday Chalet while travelling through Denver. Our host (Crystal) was very friendly and helpful. She also serves a great breakfast to start your day in Denver.
The hotel is an older building and each room features a layout from the hotel's era. We had two different rooms (1st floor and then second floor on our way home to Canada). Each room featured a comfortable queen bed and private bathroom. There is also a windowed alcove in each room where you can enjoy a morning coffee before breakfast or a nightcap before bed. We were travelling with our motorcycle gear and both rooms had ample storage areas for us.
The hotel is convenient to walking downtown and is also on a bus route. There is a shuttle service from the airport that will take you to the door. Crystal will direct you to some trendy bars and restaurants that are a few blocks away.
All in all a great place to stay and we will do it again when we next visit Denver.

• Liked — Helpfulness of hostess
  • Disliked — Street traffic
Denver
Reviewed 3 July 2008

My fiance and I are looking for a place for some of our out-of-town guests to stay when they come to Denver for our wedding. Crystal, the innkeeper was very accomodating when we dropped in one afternoon to inquire about the place and check things out. She showed us one of the rooms. The room was very clean, very cute and very spacious. Much bigger than a standard hotel room and had a small sitting room with large windows. The room also had a kitchen, small but good to have. We returned for breakfast to check out the food. The breakfast was good. I don't know what brand the pancakes were, but they were good with fresh stawberries on top as a garnish. We also tried the bacon quiche which was delicious. We had seen the negative reviews of the food, but we were pleasantly surprised. The area is not a top choice, but it is close to many things. Colfax Avenue is not the prettiest street in Denver, it is "Up-and-coming". There are some homeless and undesirable people in the area, but if you walk either one block north on 16th street or one block south on 14th street parallel to colfax it is a much prettier walk. So anyway, we will be recommending this to some of our family and friends for a less expensive alternative for places to stay in Denver.

• Liked — the price, spacious clean rooms, breakfast
  • Disliked — the view from the front door (not the prettiest in denver)
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
Colorado
Reviewed 29 June 2008

The Holiday Chalet is a home away from home. The service was incredible, rooms are clean and breakfast was wonderful. The owner, Crystal Sharp gives personal yet professional service. She makes you feel very welcome. Like you were staying with a friend. The next time that I stay at a bed and breakfast in Denver, it would certainly be the Holiday Chalet. I suggest that everyone should stay there at least once in their lifetime.

The hotel is close to everything. The state capital, downtown and great restaurants. Shopping is great. All you have to do is tell Crystal what you would like to do and she can point you in the right direction.

Thank you Crystal and the staff at Holiday Chalet.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
Eugine, OR
Reviewed 26 June 2008

This place rocked! We came in for a concert and The Holiday Chalet was only 8 blocks from concert so we were able to walk. We loved the breakfast. The quiche is to die for. I will return on my next visit!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Crystal & staff!

• Liked — The hotel it's self & the staff!!!!!!!!!