“100 dollar deposit is unreasonable”

Days Inn Denver Downtown
Ranked #106 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“100 dollar deposit is unreasonable”
Reviewed 25 December 2013

This is not the Ritz Carlton, okay? When I reserved my room over the phone, I gave them my bank card number and they said that's all I needed. When I actually got there, the clerk demanded either a credit card or a 100 dollar deposit. My generation stays away from living outside out means, so we don't carry credit cards. I could understand asking for a deposit if the rooms were really nice, but these are generic hotel rooms. Next time I travel to Denver I will most likely find lodging elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Metro Los Angeles
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Admittedly I was not impressed with my room. Yes, it was clean, but on the first floor, facing an apparently abandoned building, and the heater was broken. There was a sign on the wall advising that smoking was not allowed in the rooms, nor was sitting on the desk, or extinguishing cigarettes on the walls. Despite the clean and comfortable bed, my sleep was poor that first night due to the proximity of the hotel to the local fire station and the frequency with which they went out on calls with sirens blaring. My morning was not improved by the shower diverter being broken, and there being no plug in the bathtub - presumably a precaution against the type of people who extinguish cigarettes on the walls.

However, the manager offered me and my co-worker a ride to the convention center when the shuttle failed to show, and my shower was fixed when I returned to the hotel that evening. The front desk attendants were polite and helpful with nightlife and restaurant recommendations, too. They even allowed me a late checkout so that I wouldn't need to drag my luggage to the convention center the next day.

Yes, I will be staying again, but am going to ask for a room farther back from the street and the very active nightspots and fire house.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel on two separate occasions in a week, once for one night, and then again for three nights.

This hotel has both good points and bad points. How you feel about it will depend on what you are looking for.

We stayed during GABF week, which meant that hotel prices were high and space was limited. When I initially made the three-night reservation it was an Econo Lodge, but the reservation was transferred over to the new franchise – Days Inn. I chose this hotel due to its proximity to the Convention Centre.

So, the good points? The hotel’s location is pretty good. Yes, there are a few undesirable people around on E. Colfax, but I never felt threatened in any way. We walked back to the hotel from the Blake Street bar district in the early hours and never once felt uncomfortable. Visitors who are not used to big cities (I grew up in London) might not feel so relaxed, so a cab from Blake is less than $15 if you prefer. The Convention Centre and start of the 16th St Mall was about a 30 minute walk away, and Mile High Stadium was about a 60 minute walk.

The hotel staff were friendly, especially the manager who was very chatty and helpful.

The rooms were clean, if a little tired. For our second stay, we were given what I presume was an accessible room on the ground floor, which had a lovely, large bathroom. The other room on the third floor was smaller.

Parking is free, although limited. When we arrived back late on evening to find no proper spaces, the manager helped us park by the side of the hotel.

The rate was pretty reasonable for an event week, although you are not getting the kind of value for money you would get outside the city. You definitely pay for the proximity to downtown.

The bad points? The rooms are very dark. There is little natural light, especially on the ground floor, and the lights in the room were not very bright either. We ended up turning on the bathroom light and leaving the door open to add more light to the room.

There are no fridges in the room, and the TV was very old with poor reception and a very limited selection of channels. There was no ESPN, but there was NFL Network, which is good for anyone visiting for a Broncos game.

The towels are tiny. You may wish to bring your own if you are any bigger than an Olsen twin.

The bedding was pretty rough, probably because it was old.

The lift is very slow getting to the upper floors. You may prefer to walk if you are able.

The Wi-Fi was sometimes difficult to connect to, and you had to re-connect if you hadn’t used it in a while.

The breakfast was not very inspiring. Just a few pastries and a waffle maker. No cereal or hot items. And the lobby area wasn’t a nice area to sit and eat. There are plenty of fast food joints in the area and a 7 Eleven next door if you prefer something else.

So it really depends on what you’re looking for. We just wanted someone that was an easy travel distance to downtown, that was not too expensive and had a bed to sleep in and a place to park the car. This hotel suited our purposes, but won’t suit everyone.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple