“Solid Hostel with a Great Location”

11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel
Ranked #104 of 159 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I stayed here one night while I was visiting Denver. If you remember that it is a hostel, you won't be disappointed. My room was a private one, and was nice and clean. The bathrooms and showers, which are common, were relatively clean. Bring hand sanitizer or soap, since that is not provided. Tenants are an eclectic bunch. The location is great--just a few blocks south of the capitol and within walking distance of almost anything you would want to see in town. However, it is between two night clubs, which might be a problem if you are a light sleeper.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Nathan S
EleventhAvenue, Owner at 11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

Thank you for writing, and thank you for reminding others that we are a Hostel/Hotel for the budget minded traveler. We have put soap dispensers in the bathrooms because of suggestions like this from guests. Keep the input coming so that we can continue to improve. Jim

Reviewed 3 September 2012

I checked in here for a night while driving across country because I needed a cheap place to rest my head. I figured being a hostel it would be a lot of young travelers like myself. I checked in with no issues, got to my room and the door was blocked... The older woman staying in the room had taken all the chairs and pushed them against the door so no one could enter. Then she moved one of them so I could get in and muttered "this is ridiculous". I was so uncomfortable that I just slept and checked out. The rooms themselves were decent and it was nice that the 4 bed dorm had an ensuite bath/shower. They supply lockers free of charge which was much appreciated. The staff seemed helpful but they need more people on the front desk as I had to wait around 20 minutes to check out.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank bsm1982

Thank you for taking the time to help us improve by communicating your experience with us. As you know, because you said that you stayed in a dorm room, the others in the dorm setting have there individuality's that add to the human experience. To expedite the front desk process we have remodeled our lobby and front desk area. Thank you for your valued input. Jim

Reviewed 26 August 2012

we stayed in a private room in this hostel, with our own bath. It was clean and comfortable, with all the facilities we needed. The price was excellent for a place as close to the town centre as this - we easily walked into the downtown area, and were near to all the things we wanted to see. the staff were very helpful, and overall I would rate it as one of the best hostels we've stayed in. Others have said that it was noisy, but we had a room at the back and did not find this a problem. It was warm, but Denver is warm in august, and we had a portable fan in our room which helped.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for writing about us. I am glad that you had a nice stay in Denver at our Hotel / Hostel. Yes August can be warm as well as July, as for the rest of the year Denver is usually mild weathered. Thank you for choosing us for your stay. Jim

Reviewed 23 August 2012

First and foremost, the place has bed bugs, particularly on the third floor. Not only did I start finding evidence of them (you know, just walking around during the daylight hours), but I also saw one in the communal shower, which makes me think this is not limited to my room, only. I didn't report it, because once they infect all of your stuff, you just keep moving them around. Right now, I'm covered in about 150+ bites, in which I'm having an intense allergic reaction. I'm on tons of steroids and antihistamines. Since there is usually a laps in the time the bites show up and when you were there, you might not notice until you return home. So, beware. Take all the proper pre-cautions. I read on here that this happened in the past, but I figured that the hostel would have fixed the problem..however, the number of bites on my body right now indicate this was not the case. That was an infestation. One that I had hoped to contact the Colorado Health Department, but they don't consider this to be their business since the only thing that happens is that you end up miserable for several days, due to the bites-- and potentially can't leave the house cause you look similar to the Elephant Man. Ultimately, I'm in sheer hell.

When I inquired at the wine store across the street about the place, they just responded "Skid Row." And you know, they were right. I don't mind bizarre residents whatsoever, but if this makes you uncomfortable, you might want to stay somewhere else (despite the fact, I'd urge you to stay on the street instead of a place where you'll end up feeling as miserable as I am right now).

There were other disappointments-- I never really found the "social bar," except a common room where people can watch television and cook food, but it wasn't quite the social experience I expected. Besides the horrible bugs, I enjoyed the place and it would be a great place to stay if they could get this problem under control.

The only bright and shining moment of the place is the staff, particularly Frank. He was incredibly kind and I developed a friendship with him. He was very kind and always ready for conversation. He was the only reason that I didn't want to write this review, but I also realize that he is not the owner-- and that this situation with the bed bugs needs to be solved.

I also thought it was a great place to stay in proximity to where I needed to be during the days.

So, overall, there are good and bad...but right now, as I sit in sheer hell while my whole body from face to toe want to be scratched and I'm pumped full of drugs...not to mention, having to launder everything I brought with me, putting my papers and books in a freezer for two weeks...I would have to recommend another place. Unless the owners can make a statement on here that they have taken care of the problem. And PLEASE, do yourself a favor, check all around for the signs. If you find one bite on you, get the hell out. But I'd suggest make a better decision to stay elsewhere, despite the cost. It's possible that the cost of laundry and medications, I might have stayed elsewhere and avoided the hell that I'm currently in.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank 15Anonymous
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Stayed on a Sunday & Monday, 2nd floor male dormshare. Overhead fan, window open, and extra fan in room blowing to help keep everything cool overnight. I slept great. Clean room, quiet, respectful roommates. Across the hall, in my case, was shower/sink in room where you could close door, and a toilet in a another room where you could close door. So, shared, but not at the same time. :) Shower/toilet areas real clean. There was also a sink/mirror to use in the dormshare room.

As far as hostels go in Denver, this is the best option I've found for sure. But, keep in mind this is not a "traditional european backpacker hostel", but a mixture of that and a halfway house of sorts for those of any age that need some temporary housing, however the latter folks may be living on a different floor than where the "backpacker traveller" type are placed. Everyone encountered was friendly. Also had a great selection of current area info brochures (tours, attractions, etc).

Real happy with stay! Would recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at this hotel during summer. Yes, the rooms got a little hot but the staff were incredibly accommodating and brought us a fan. The rooms were very clean. Staff very helpful. It's a 10 minute walk from 16th street mall, however some of the coolest places are actually off the back streets of this hotel (away from the touristy crap...although 16th street mall was great). If you're not a princess and don't mind interesting characters randomly chatting to you then this place is perfect.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I stayed here for one night in a private suite on the second floor and got bit by BED BUGS. I informed management and they said they would bomb my room, I decided to leave instead. I was there for less then 24 hours and as a result ended my trip early and came home with bed bugs in my luggage, cell phone and casing, and essentially everything I own. Horrible experience!!!!! Do not stay at this Hostel or any Hostel in Denver in the area of Capital Hill. The management gave me a refund for one night and that's it-they wanted me outta there so I wouldn't tell all their guests. Awful, Awful, Awful-I do not wish bed bugs on anyone!!!!!!! Be careful and educate your self on bed bugs before you travel more.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo