“Good deal in downtown Denver”

11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel
Ranked #105 of 160 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Pretty bare bones, but what do you expect for $48 per night? That said, this was probably the only hotel room I ever booked that didn't come with soap. Also, be prepared for a $3 towel deposit. It's an old building, which I like. I felt very comfortable there. But I was happy to have a private bath. As a solo female traveler, I'd rather not walk down the hall to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank babylovecat
EleventhAvenue, Owner at 11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for writing a review. I am glad that you felt comfortable, and that the staff was friendly and helpful. It lets me know that they are doing there job and making people like you feel welcome, and comfortable. Yes we are a historic building and we work within our limits, but that is what makes your experience unique. We are still going room by room remodeling each one. The Hotel and Hostel is continuing to improve to provide a better experience with each passing month. Thank you again for choosing us.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

I am giving this hostel a 4 star rating not because its like a 4 star hotel, but because its got everything you would want or need for basic accommodations. This is; however not a party hostel or a fun place to meet people.
The hotel is conveniently located near bars, restaurants, and various tourist attractions.
I stayed from Monday to Thursday in early Feb. 2014 for 3 nights. The hotel itself was generally clean and the bathrooms were probably the best I've ever seen in a hostel (on floor 2 that is). They allowed privacy and had very clean showers, toilets and sinks. It looked like they had been renovated very recently. The 8 person room was actually split into two connected sides, which allowed a bit a privacy. I would have probably paid the extra money to have my own room though so I didn't have to wake up to people snoring all night. The locker in the room was average, but would not fit a suitcase or a large bag. I would recommend bringing a smaller bag to place your valuables in the locker with. Our room had its own sink and mirror too, which was pretty convenient. The beds were squeaky, but were comfortable to sleep in. The bedding was fresh and comfortable to sleep in. Due to the hostel facing Broadway St. Traffic noise was usually pretty loud in the room, but thankfully I'm a deep sleeper so it did not bother me.
The common room had a couch, and multiple stools along a counter going around the room. It also had a good size TV with a good selection of channels. It would have been nicer if there were more couches or comfortable seating for reading and relaxing.
The hostel itself was not overly a fun experience though. It did not allow public drinking or have a small bar for people to mingle at. I understand that there are probably reasons for this, but I personally enjoy those features of a hostel as it brings people together. It seemed a lot of the people staying at this hostel weren't international travelers. In fact, most of them seemed to be homeless, job seekers, or passerby's. It certainly was different from my hostel experiences in more tourist cities in Canada or Australia.
I would recommend this place for anyone looking for a clean and affordable stay in downtown Denver. I would not recommend this place to young person looking to meet other travelers or party at.

Lastly, the staff were also all very friendly, courteous, and enjoyable to deal with.

Room Tip: "Pay the extra money and get a private room"
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank PaulRon13
EleventhAvenue, Owner at 11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you for your response. We are working on our "fun factor" and welcome these responses. We are coming up with ideas to better appeal to the Hostel traveler, and the ideas you mentioned will go a long way in formulating a plan. Thank you for tossing some ideas our way, it is much appreciated, and I hope that maybe on your next trek through Denver you will see something you suggested!

Reviewed 24 January 2014

I stayed in a dorm-style 8-man room for five nights. The room and beds were clean and in good condition. The common areas, toilet, shower, and TV room were also clean and well maintained. The whole place has a cool retro design scheme to go with the classic architecture. This really adds to the character.
Roommates are luck-of-the-draw and can change everyday but I was fortunate to meet really cool people while I was there.
The room and halls stayed quiet throughout the day and night. There is a convenience store next door and several restaurants within a short walk.
I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank EevelMonkee

Thank you for choosing us, and reminding travelers that a Hostel that is well run can still have it's share of a "mixed bag", as you put it so well. But I think that it can add a flair of adventure to the trip that one has embarked upon. I am glad that your experience was a pleasant one. Jim

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I have stayed at this hotel for 4 night now. First of all I own a retail consulting company. The manager mike was great. The hotel is very clean and even though I had a shared bathroom it was just around the corner. Had a TV in my room and a wash sink. Yes even free cable and I was very surprised with the guest entrainment room with flat screen TV and full kitchen. All for around 33$ per night . Heck the parking at the hilton was 28$ a night. Here u get a safe clean room for under 35 bucks. Don't know why all the bad reviews this place is great for location and what you get for the price.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank kiddavidz

Thank you for taking the time to comment, and thank you for your comment, it is good to hear of good experiences. Thank you again. Jim

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I had a great time at this place until it was time to check out. All of the staff were great except for the two old guys in the morning at the front desk. These two guys should fire each other then hire one new person to do both of their jobs. I went down early to check out, and an older gent started letting people butt in front of me. by the time I got to check out, 5 people had butt in front of me in line, some of whom had been instructed to by this older gent. I was not in a hurry, but I am disabled, and was surprised how people would push me out of the way like that. The two guys doing check out were very rude, and actually told people to go in front of me, amazingly rude... If I ever go back to this place, it will be to tell these two pieces of crap where they can stow it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank menotyou2013
EleventhAvenue, Owner at 11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

I am glad that your stay went well. Your checkout is a problem to me. On the first of November I held a staff meeting addressing some of the reviews that have come down the pike in the last 30 days. I apologize for the treatment you received on checkout, I am not sure what happened for this treatment but it will not happen again. I am truly sorry for your checkout experience. Thank you for taking the time to voice your concern.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed at the 11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel in a double private with shared bathroom. The hostel was in a great location just 4 blocks from the end of the free 16th Street Mall ride and within walking distance of most of Denver's sights. The hotel was in a very old building as the receptionist proudly told us 'its over 100 years old' which did give it a bit character but did mean it didn't have any mod cons! The room was basic but okay for our short stay. There was nothing special about the hotel or the room but it was a good price and in a great location.

Find out more about our big adventure and where we are going next at chipofftheoldblog.com

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am glad that you did not have a complaint, But we understand the limits of the age of our building. We are working on updating the Hotel, and have a percentage of it done, but it is a large task that is taking time and money. We are working on it all the time. Thank you again.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

The hotel is very old but well maintained. My room was very clean and fresh, but not in any way "modernized, for example the room had a footed bathtub, no shower, and a very simple sink, no vanity counter. All this was completely adequate for my stay, and in fact offers a bit of charm if that is your style. The lock and key on the door was also primitive compared to the modern computerized card keys, but OK, I'm not a security freak and a plain old brass key worked fine for me. One bothersome matter was that it took an incredibly long time for hot water to make it to the sink in my room. That was more an aesthetic annoyance in an otherwise environmentally conscious city to be pouring a couple gallons of water down the drain waiting for it to warm up. Also, the ancient building, although solid brick, was a bit lacking in soundproofing, so I did hear TVs in other rooms, or people talking in the hall, from time to time during my stay. It was generally very quiet, but when any noise was present it came right through the windows and walls. I was attending a conference held in the Sheraton Downtown, about a 15 minute walk from the 11th Ave. Hotel and Hostel, and my room rate of around $50/night was more than $100/night less than the conference rate in the Sheraton; definitely an outstanding saving in exchange for the short walk. Indeed, the walk into the Sheraton conference rooms takes you by the hotel "torture chamber" of exercise machines -- the walk from the 11th Ave. Hotel even provides the exercise without an exercise room in the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the center of the hotel might get hot water faster. Judging from the lack of soundp...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for posting a review. I appreciate the good review, and the negative things let us know where to focus our improvements. With the age of the building we are constantly working on it to provide the best value for the money. We have been in a multi-year process of updating the entire Hotel, and it has come a long way, but we still have a way to go. Thank you for your understanding in this matter, and thank you for taking the time to post.