11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel
the ART, a hotel(Denver)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
All reviewsshared bathroomcommunity roomprivate room with bathroomoverhead fanno elevatorclaw foot tubconvenience storeprivacyrefrigeratorsheratoncloset
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 June 2014

i stayed here for one night with my son before we started a 15 day road trip. it was easy to find and the guy at the reception desk gave us a tip on where we could park for free overnight. there were lots of interesting buildings, bars and restaurants within easy walking distance. the staff at the front desk were all very friendly and helpful. it is an old building with lots of charm which i loved. it reminded me of nyc. we had a private bath (with a cute claw-foot tub!) and tv and the room itself was huge! the beds were ok, not super comfy, but fine for one night. we were not able to control the heat in our room and it was pretty cold, but the guy at the front desk explained how their system works due to the fact it is a historical building and we were soon warm and toasty!

i would stay here again and for the price you really couldn't find something better in this location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Nancy I, Owner at 11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad that your experience was positive, that is what we strive for. I hope that you had a good road trip and that we were a part of your experiences. Thank you again!

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Pretty bare bones, but what do you expect for $48 per night? That said, this was probably the only hotel room I ever booked that didn't come with soap. Also, be prepared for a $3 towel deposit. It's an old building, which I like. I felt very comfortable there. But I was happy to have a private bath. As a solo female traveler, I'd rather not walk down the hall to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank babylovecat
EleventhAvenue, Owner at 11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for writing a review. I am glad that you felt comfortable, and that the staff was friendly and helpful. It lets me know that they are doing there job and making people like you feel welcome, and comfortable. Yes we are a historic building and we work within our limits, but that is what makes your experience unique. We are still going room by room remodeling each one. The Hotel and Hostel is continuing to improve to provide a better experience with each passing month. Thank you again for choosing us.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

I am giving this hostel a 4 star rating not because its like a 4 star hotel, but because its got everything you would want or need for basic accommodations. This is; however not a party hostel or a fun place to meet people.
The hotel is conveniently located near bars, restaurants, and various tourist attractions.
I stayed from Monday to Thursday in early Feb. 2014 for 3 nights. The hotel itself was generally clean and the bathrooms were probably the best I've ever seen in a hostel (on floor 2 that is). They allowed privacy and had very clean showers, toilets and sinks. It looked like they had been renovated very recently. The 8 person room was actually split into two connected sides, which allowed a bit a privacy. I would have probably paid the extra money to have my own room though so I didn't have to wake up to people snoring all night. The locker in the room was average, but would not fit a suitcase or a large bag. I would recommend bringing a smaller bag to place your valuables in the locker with. Our room had its own sink and mirror too, which was pretty convenient. The beds were squeaky, but were comfortable to sleep in. The bedding was fresh and comfortable to sleep in. Due to the hostel facing Broadway St. Traffic noise was usually pretty loud in the room, but thankfully I'm a deep sleeper so it did not bother me.
The common room had a couch, and multiple stools along a counter going around the room. It also had a good size TV with a good selection of channels. It would have been nicer if there were more couches or comfortable seating for reading and relaxing.
The hostel itself was not overly a fun experience though. It did not allow public drinking or have a small bar for people to mingle at. I understand that there are probably reasons for this, but I personally enjoy those features of a hostel as it brings people together. It seemed a lot of the people staying at this hostel weren't international travelers. In fact, most of them seemed to be homeless, job seekers, or passerby's. It certainly was different from my hostel experiences in more tourist cities in Canada or Australia.
I would recommend this place for anyone looking for a clean and affordable stay in downtown Denver. I would not recommend this place to young person looking to meet other travelers or party at.

Lastly, the staff were also all very friendly, courteous, and enjoyable to deal with.

Room Tip: "Pay the extra money and get a private room"
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank PaulRon13
EleventhAvenue, Owner at 11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you for your response. We are working on our "fun factor" and welcome these responses. We are coming up with ideas to better appeal to the Hostel traveler, and the ideas you mentioned will go a long way in formulating a plan. Thank you for tossing some ideas our way, it is much appreciated, and I hope that maybe on your next trek through Denver you will see something you suggested!

Reviewed 24 January 2014

I stayed in a dorm-style 8-man room for five nights. The room and beds were clean and in good condition. The common areas, toilet, shower, and TV room were also clean and well maintained. The whole place has a cool retro design scheme to go with the classic architecture. This really adds to the character.
Roommates are luck-of-the-draw and can change everyday but I was fortunate to meet really cool people while I was there.
The room and halls stayed quiet throughout the day and night. There is a convenience store next door and several restaurants within a short walk.
I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank EevelMonkee

Thank you for choosing us, and reminding travelers that a Hostel that is well run can still have it's share of a "mixed bag", as you put it so well. But I think that it can add a flair of adventure to the trip that one has embarked upon. I am glad that your experience was a pleasant one. Jim

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I have stayed at this hotel for 4 night now. First of all I own a retail consulting company. The manager mike was great. The hotel is very clean and even though I had a shared bathroom it was just around the corner. Had a TV in my room and a wash sink. Yes even free cable and I was very surprised with the guest entrainment room with flat screen TV and full kitchen. All for around 33$ per night . Heck the parking at the hilton was 28$ a night. Here u get a safe clean room for under 35 bucks. Don't know why all the bad reviews this place is great for location and what you get for the price.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank kiddavidz

Thank you for taking the time to comment, and thank you for your comment, it is good to hear of good experiences. Thank you again. Jim