“Comfortable and inexpensive with excellent front desk staff”

11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel
Ranked #98 of 156 Hotels in Denver
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Comfortable and inexpensive with excellent front desk staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Bed was comfy, reception was friendly and very helpful with advice of where to go and how to get there, and it didn't cost much to stay. I shared a private double room with my friend as it wasn't much more expensive than a dorm.

The shared facilities left something to be desired. I know the hotel can't be fully responsible for the actions of its patrons but there was a lot of used toilet paper in the trash. I know this is the custom in many countries but a sign wouldn't go amiss (I have seen these in other hostels). The shower cubicle was big and clean most of the times I used it.

There was also a lady complaining at reception that her mother's clothes had been ruined by wet paint with no sign - I didn't see the clothes but I definitely saw the painter and lack of sign - the next time I passed there were LOTS of signs though...I think generally better written communication between staff and patrons would go a long way.

The biggest issue I had was with the wifi. I don't know if I picked a bad time or whether it's always that bad but it was very slow in spite of the fact there were a few different access points.

Having said all that, I'd stay here again without any major qualms.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Nancy I, Owner at 11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel, responded to this review, 23 September 2014
Thank you for your review. Because of your experience with the shared facilities, and you are accurate that some patrons for whatever reason are inconsiderate of others, have put a evening housekeeper on duty to care for the actions of others. We are working on the communication always. We are installing systems that are supposed to improve the WIFI this week, as more and more people use the WIFI through an even greater number of devices we have to upgrade our equipment. Thank you again for your review, it helps to know where we missed it, or where we can improve, and where we did good. Thanks.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I recently had the pleasure of staying in the 11th Ave Hotel and Hostel. I found the staff very courteous, professional and friendly.

The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. The shared bathrooms and showers were impeccably clean; at all times.

The Community Living room was very comfortable and accommodating with kitchen, wifi, and large screen tv w/ comfortable couch, table and chairs. It had a nice spacious, yet homey feeling.

The kitchen has a cooler-type refigerator, microwave, toaster-oven, coffee pot and a nice selection of silverware and plates.

All-in-all it had the feel of a European Hostel environment (but cleaner) and quieter.

The location is ideal, as it is centrally located near many of the Summer Arts & Music Venues.

Everything you could possibly need is within walking distance, or you can take a bus.

I would most definitely stay there again! Only downside is that there is no air conditioning. Bring your fan!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I wish that a-lot more of our guests that have a positive experience would leave a review. Thank you again for your time, your experience is what we strive for.
Newport, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Pros: location (close to downtown), relatively cheap, friendly reception
Cons: the whole place is tired and the rooms in particular require urgent TLC, cleanliness of the room was questionable, no curtains/veins in the windows, hot room and there is no a/c (we didn't know but the receptionist told us that we could have asked for a fan), no remote for the tv (room 317), noise from the road was quite bad and almost 24 hours as 11th Avenue is one of the main roads coming out of the downtown.
As much as we may have saved money, we would not consider staying at this hotel again unless overhauled.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Musti S
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and thank you for commenting on our staff. We are working on our rooms to bring them into the 21st century, not as fast as I would like but progress is being made. Yes 317 is a little tired and hasn't been remodeled yet, I am sorry. I cannot do anything about the summer heat due to being over 100 years old, and I am also sorry that it was hot during your stay, we need to communicate better about what we can provide for our guests for their comfort. The location is great for us in terms of being downtown, easy to get to and around, and safe, however it also is that way for a great number of others as well. Thank you for saying that you would stay with us once overhauled, I hope to have this accomplished in the next couple of years. When you do come back, let me know that you wrote this review and we will try to work something out for this stay.

Travellers are raving about these Denver hotels

Higginsville, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

When I got off the bus across the street I was already shocked at how filthy the outside of the building looked. The lobby was uncomfortably hot, (93 degree day), and it was at this point the desk clerk told me there was no air conditioning, but I could rent a small fan for a $20 deposit. My room was on the 3rd floor. (No elevator) As I went higher up the steps, the temperature kept rising. The hallway on the way in was old and gross. Needless to say, the room itself was sweltering. It had a tiny fridge that didn't even keep food cool, with a huge bowl of the most disgusting liquid from a past guest. My bed turned out to be an upper bunk. They tried to change me to a different bunk, but couldn't because of the computer (?) The couch in the room looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years and smelled funny. The mattress on the bed was so awful, that to keep from sinking into a hot bed burrito I had to fold my comforter into a strip and lay with that down the center of the bed. And I think there were bed bugs. I kept feeling bites and was itching. But the heat, oh God, the heat. There was no air circulation all night, despite several fans. I was sweating profusely in my upper bunk. It was the same thing all 3 nights I stayed, despite our efforts to open windows, shift fans, and even leave the door cracked. The last night, it rained heavily, and was a delightful 70 degrees outside...but not in my room on my top f-ing bunk. I ended up sitting in the lobby at 1:30 am trying to cool off and decided to write this review. The location is great, I'll grant you. But all else sucked. Oh, and the only option for groceries was a tiny corner store with the crappiest options of packaged foods and nothing fresh in sight. (Um, hello, isn't Denver one of those healthy, wholesome food places??) Not that it mattered, I suppose because the hostel had nowhere to cook anything but tiny microwaves! I've been to places with huge kitchen areas with dishes and pans you could check out, stoves to cook on, and ample fridge space. In their common space there's one small fridge packed with food from before the wheel was invented, and NO FREEZER for you to put the dejected pizza you got at the corner market!! (Oh, and nowhere to cook it!) Sorry for the rant, but I'm frustrated and wanted my review to be thorough. It's nearly 2am now, and I have to catch a bus to the airport in 3 hours. Ugh. Bottom line...don't stay at this hostel. Try one of the others in town.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Colleen K
Nancy I, Owner at 11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Ouch; Well, the building may not look new, but for being over 100 years old she looks better that most people over 100, and the pictures are online where you booked your room, and the building hasn't changed. Yes it is Hot sometimes in Denver, sorry for that. Please next time contact the manager or the owner before you spend 3 days in misery, I would have tried to assist you in making changes. I am sorry for the mattress, but in an attempt to provide the fluffiest mattresses possible, some people sink into the mattress. I didn't think about the heat when we bought them, only the plushness. It seems that you didn't make use of the community room and kitchen during your stay, nor the supermarket up the street. Yes the convenience is just that, a convenience store, and doesn't offer much beyond convenience food, but I am sorry that you didn't take advantage of the supermarket offering healthy and wholesome food. I will inspect the couch and operation of the fridge in your dorm room because you mentioned it. Thank you again for your reply.
Denver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I thought this hostel was like a backpackers, but no, it is not like a backpackers. They do have a dorm but I stayed in a private room-thank The Lord! Some people live here permanently, which begs the question why? Why would you live (even temporarily) in a hostel...maybe because you've just come from a place where there where lots of locked doors, maybe your movements where very....restricted? Mmmm...

I was jet lagged and suffering from altitude sickness quite badly. Although the staff where nice, I had to drag my heavy bags up two flights of stairs and it was as I passed people in the hall that I felt a little bit like-maybe I had made a mistake??? But I was SOOOOO tired, I just wanted to shower and go to bed. Surely it was my exhaustion that had me thinking paranoid thoughts-the fact that I hadn't slept in 24 hrs could easily account for why, the guy walking towards me looked like he should try out for the lead role in the next Saw movie!

It was in the shower that I knew I had indeed made a mistake. I didn't feel safe. Even though they have an impressive survellience system, it hit me-why? Why do they have such an impressive network of survellience covering every inch of the halls and doorways? That's right people, you get what you pay for. I had never travelled alone before and those words (my rather huge South African husband had said) where now a reality to me! If my husband had of been with me (we never would have stayed here) I would have felt safe-well safer.

The room wasn't particularly clean but a bonus was the big corner chair, it was perfect for barricading the door, so I slept and rested as much as I could. A very handy crn store is next to the hostel, sadly it catered for people who wanted chocolate bars and tinned soup, not a fresh piece of food in store. It did have lovely bottled spring water, which I survived off until I was well enough to move the hell on!

If you have very low standards and are big, strong, tough and even a little scary would help, you'll love this place. Maybe if your the camping type....

Room Tip: Ask for a room located high and in the middle of the building-due to the noise. Specify a shower if...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kylie H
Thank you for taking the time to respond. People come here for many different reasons, many are travelers like you seem to be, some come here because they are between apartments due to the tight apartment market in Denver. And some for other reasons, like you, to travel, but no one is here permanently, everyone leaves after there situation changes, or the next destination calls. Sorry for your altitude sickness, as far as the people walking the halls some people are full of tattoos, others are dressed for Comic-Con when in town, others have been at a night club till 5am enjoying themselves, and lastly others are fresh out of bed which can be kinda scary looking as well, but all people from all walks of life are welcome here and it can be a great place to meet interesting people from around the world, even if they look different than we do. As far as the security cameras they are there for the security of our guests, just like the banks, shopping malls, every street corner and school because people do stupid stuff in airports, coffee shops, stores, and gas stations, and we need to monitor it to keep all environments safe. Thank you for noting that it was impressive, and that you do get what you pay for. In the Downtown Area of a major City we are the best value for inexpensive accommodations. Yes the convenience store on the corner is a limited fare of available items, but it is only a convenience store, a full super market is only a few block walking East of us, which offers a great selection, just ask our staff for places to go when you are in a city unfamiliar to you. Thank you again for your reply.
Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

I have just finished a world trip and this was the filthiest most revolting place on earth. There was dirt, three inches thick in the air on. My bed was filthy, thank god I didn't acquire bedbugs. And the fridge froze all my food. The shower curtain was black. I did tell the management what I thoughts. I hope they have taken on, what I said to them

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Sooxanne
Wow what a scathing post, I wish that you would speak with management at the beginning of your stay instead of posting after you have spent your hard earned money. I would have liked to have been able to address your concerns and see the facilities through your eyes and have a chance to correct what ever was your concern. Please contact me so I can address the room # and dates of your stay. Thank you.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I put in a reservation for this hostel weeks in advance of the date I was planning to be in that Denver area. When I arrived the gentlemen told me that he could not find my reservation for the room I booked. I booked my room weeks ago and I even called in hours before to make sure my reservation was still valid. The gentlemen I spoke to on the phone said it was still valid and I still had a room available for my friends and I. When I arrived there was no room for us and he said my name was never in any of his systems and that there was "nothing he could do". He told my friends and I that he didn't have a room for us at all. When I called weeks in advance they said that check in was at anytime of that day you would arrive. When I made the reservation online I put that we would be at the hotel around 2:30 am. We were there at 3 am but yet we still couldn't get a room. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone at all.

Room Tip: Do not go to this hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank 813Customer
Nancy I, Owner at 11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
I am sorry that you didn't contact the owner or manager to handle your concern with your reservation. We have had several people that made reservations that got lost somewhere between the online booking company, and the hotel these past few days. It would be nice to have heard your case before you put these remarks online and give management time to fix your situation and contact the booking company to locate your reservation and find the room that the booking company placed you in. When a hotel gets a reservation we get a # until a confirmation comes directly from the booking company with a name to match to the #. For several days, because of an error at the booking company, we were not getting the confirmations until after the scheduled arrival. As you can imagine this made several guests unhappy. The booking company corrected this error, but it looks like you got caught in the storm. I am sorry that this happened.